We're Moving!

Click for more info.

How to regulate a Vostok?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
EA-Sports
MoT Member

How to regulate a Vostok?

Post by EA-Sports »

I got this beautiful Vostok Classica but it’s been running fast (consistently +19 to 20 spd). How hard or easy is it to try to regulate it, is it a DIY-able or should I just take it to a local watchmaker? I can see where to regulate it through the crystal case back. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: How to regulate a Vostok?

Post by watchpalooza »

It is easy to regulate, but you will need a timegrapher to get it right and if you are uncomfortable you could damage the mainspring. It looks like the watch is running pretty fast (regulator is already reduced from midpoint). It may be a good time to bring it in for service.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

watchpalooza wrote:It is easy to regulate, but you will need a timegrapher to get it right and if you are uncomfortable you could damage the mainspring. It looks like the watch is running pretty fast (regulator is already reduced from midpoint). It may be a good time to bring it in for service.
But it’s brand new :(

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

EA-Sports wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:49 pm
watchpalooza wrote:It is easy to regulate, but you will need a timegrapher to get it right and if you are uncomfortable you could damage the mainspring. It looks like the watch is running pretty fast (regulator is already reduced from midpoint). It may be a good time to bring it in for service.

Hmmm, well that is a bit strange... If you want to DIY, just get a wooden toothpick and push the regulator slightly toward the stud (if you want to slow it down). If you do not own a timegrapher, you can use a phone app with earbud microphone to read the rate to confirm you got it right. I have used ‘timegrapher’ on the iphone in the past and it does work.

1741ED3E-91F4-4553-8579-B90F6D33284F.jpeg
Of course, if +20s / day does not bother you then you could leave it alone.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

EA-Sports wrote:

Sadly, that's well within specs. The good news is that these can be regulated to have consistently great accuracy. As stated, you do need a timegrapher, or at least one of them apps.

Or you could also try positional variance at night. Try resting it crown up/down/crystal up/down and you may be able to gain those seconds back while you sleep.

Lastly, such a gorgeous watch you have there! The classica is straight [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Don’t sleep on the possibility that it’s magnetized if it’s running that fast. A local watchmaker will probably run it across their demagnetizer cheap/free.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I've regulated two watches without a timegrapher. It's slow and tedious, but it's entirely possible.