We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The 2020 Watch Mod of the Year Competition

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: The 2020 Watch Mod of the Year Competition

Post by Split-Time »

What a mod and what a post [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]! I hope that your brother appreciates how much work went into this mod! And I hope that it shows up.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:00 am What a mod and what a post @Sporkboy! I hope that your brother appreciates how much work went into this mod! And I hope that it shows up.
Thank you. I hope it shows up in the system soon or I am going to have to go down to the post office and see if they have it. I am almost certain they will look it up and tell me it hasn’t been dropped off yet and that they won’t understand my complaint.

It would give me the chance to do the mod again though, so I could be a little cleaner with making those markers red and getting the lume right.

I hope that my brother appreciated it too. I had a hard time figuring out what he thought of it through sending him pictures.

At any rate, my mod is on the more technical side of things rather than picking the right parts and assembling them to match a vision. That is my modding style at any rate. There is an art to picking the right hands to match a dial though and I know that I have a problem with doing that well.

That Vostok of [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is killer. A testament to both Matt’s taste and the availability of Vostok parts for mods. Heck, Meranom will do the mods for you for like $5. That is just crazy. The parts Matt picked though just go together so well.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Very impressive, Sporkboy!

Doesn't the fluid affect the resistance to the movement of the hands affecting accuracy?

If you register for a USPS account online you can submit a missing mail request form that seems to get someone to locate and get package moving again. It's worked for me several times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

In theory, it does increase the resistance and put more strain on the motor. In practice, that additional strain appears to be negligible and doesn’t noticeably affect accuracy.

The most strain would occur at high speeds and those only happen on the relatively small seconds hand. One could remove this hand if it was a problem as everything else is moving relatively slowly.

I haven’t tested this extensively, but at $20, this is a watch I am willing to sacrifice if it turns out to shorten the movement lifespan. There are some commercially available watches with this feature though, so I figure that it is likely to be OK for a while unless they are using some fancy custom quartz movement (possible at the price points that some of those watches demand). There are also a bunch of modders that have done this without huge complaints.

Thank you for the tip on the USPS. I will give that a try.
PetWatch wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am Very impressive, Sporkboy!

Doesn't the fluid affect the resistance to the movement of the hands affecting accuracy?

If you register for a USPS account online you can submit a missing mail request form that seems to get someone to locate and get package moving again. It's worked for me several times.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Didn't do many mods this year. Started with this 8926 2 tone with a BSH dial, some hands and a bezel insert. Also debranded the case. The dial ended up going into a different 8926 mod for our friend Rabirnie.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

And the mod I am happiest with is the Jester. Custom dial run by brother HWA, don't remember the case, Tissot branded ETA 2836 and some hands from somewhere.
ImageImageImage

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

HWA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:35 am I’ll bite, although I’ve seen many better!

If you can’t buy it, build it. That’s my mantra for mod projects. I’ve wanted an early 1016 for years, but they’re priced well out of reach. So, dusted off my OG Jester build, got some font help from a friend, had the dial made to spec, and here we are!

Holy crap [mention]HWA[/mention] that is a completely different level. I haven’t quite had any of my designs produced for me, but it is something I would like to dip my toes into. Of course, it won’t be a traditional dial making process, but maybe 2021 is my year for going into some kind of production of dials. Maybe I will at least get a round of prototypes made and see if my idea is feasible.

Going all the way to having a dial custom made earns mad respect from me. Happy to have you on this site.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

A quick update. My brother’s package popped up in the system. Sent via priority on December 21st and it is scheduled to arrive in January 4th. I am just glad that the package wasn’t stolen.

Edit: The watch has arrived in good shape and my brother is enjoying it.
2BBE10B7-8AC6-4D0E-8C17-1FE9FA020D9C.jpeg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 pm Didn't do many mods this year. Started with this 8926 2 tone with a BSH dial, some hands and a bezel insert. Also debranded the case. The dial ended up going into a different 8926 mod for our friend Rabirnie.
ImageImageImage

De-branding the case is something I have yet to do. One of these days I will get to it and finally ‘finish’ my MoT watch for good.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Contest closes this coming Sunday, Jan. 17 at 9pm PT. Votes will be counted at that time or soon thereafter.

Contestants:
Get your last entries in. Plenty of time left to share your modding accomplishments and get votes to win.

Voters:
Still time to reconsider and finalize your votes.

Tip: you can add or withdraw a like at any time. Doesn't work with Tapatalk.

MoT may award a prize to the winner.

Thanks MoT, maybe. [emoji6]

Good Luck everyone. Great entries!

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Vostok Amphibia Radio Room. Just a simple bezel and bracelet swap, but I did it myself, and I really like how the color scheme turned out.

Scruffy believes in this forum
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'll throw mine in. Was hoping for a bezel swap too, but the one I bought didn't work out and I'm still waiting on another. Changed out the hands and strap on this one.
tinpusher
MoT Member

Post by tinpusher »

Here's my mod/build for 2020. I did a good amount of the work myself but did enlist the help of my watchmaker for a couple specialized tasks. I found a smoking deal on the Mathey-Tissot bnib and knew I wanted to use the modified 6498 for a home build. I ordered the case/dial/hands from Ofrei in order to try and get a watch that replaced my Weiss field watch. I went with the red second hand to add a little splash of color and not make it look too much like a copy. Then I ordered the skeleton ratchet/crown wheel from a Swiss shop on eBay to complete the look.

The most difficult issue I ran into was with the ratchet wheel. Apparently there are different types of holes (square and circle) and of course I had the opposite of what I needed for the movement. I thought about scrapping this portion of the build but my watchmaker helped modify the wheel so it would still work. I'm definitely glad I kept with it because it really completes the look I was going for.

For some reason I love how simple the dial is and then how crazy the back is. Kind of a ying/yang situation and a definite conversation starter. I liked this project so much, I'm planning on finding a 6497 for something different.
skylinegtr_34
MoT Member

Post by skylinegtr_34 »

Not sure when I completed this one but here it is my latest.

Invicta 8926, debranded case, removed crown guards, gave the crown a more Tudor look, BSHT blue dial, flat sapphire, and matching hands.
20190225_212230.jpg
mtbmike

Seiko SKX

Post by mtbmike »

Not a major mod but removing SKX bezels without stabbing yourself or damaging the case is no easy task!

Seiko SKX171 with applied indices modded with SKX009 Bezel. The perfect Pepsi.