Timex MK1- 9bar Testing of 3bar Rated Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Timex MK1- 9bar Testing of 3bar Rated Watch

Post by Sporkboy »

0EDD5A04-2CAB-459A-A9D0-13E6C6A5FB87.jpeg
0EDD5A04-2CAB-459A-A9D0-13E6C6A5FB87.jpeg (130.95 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
I had been looking at the Timex MK1 line for a while. They seamed like they might be a decent watch for ~$60 and some models were dancing with the $30 zone. The thing that kept holding me back was the water resistance rating of 30m.

Yes that is probably what the original Timex field watches were rated at, but we know that Timex can do better than that. Why not bump that up to 50m or even 100m. They upgraded from a resin case to stainless or aluminum, so why stand at 30m. To me, it just didn’t make any sense.

Along comes Black Friday and Joma Shop’s stupid low price of just over $22 for an MK1 in a color way that looked like it would suit me. I bought two aluminum models despite the WR rating, and later one in stainless. but in the back of my mind I kept wondering what where these would fail and at what pressure.

Forward a few weeks and I have a $50 Amazon gift card from Christmas and I buy all the parts to make a DIY watch pressure tester (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2367). Finally, I can have an answer on this.

I started with my stainless model.
768F9863-5262-4A4C-ABF8-4E88574F0311.jpeg
768F9863-5262-4A4C-ABF8-4E88574F0311.jpeg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
3bar - no problem
4bar- OK
5bar- OK

At this point I gain a little confidence and jump to

7bar- OK
9bar- OK

With my bike pump I am maxing out at 9bar or 90m, so I had to stop there. Still, the damn thing passes without a problem.

Maybe it is just the stainless models, so I tested both of the aluminum MK1s... they both pass a 9bar test!

I will admit that this is a small sample size, but 3 for 3 watches at 3x the declared rating is pretty amazing. These tests were done on the 3-hander models as that is what I have handy. I may be able to borrow a MK1 chrono if people are interested in a single watch test.

While I can’t assume that all Timex watches are going to pass at 3x their declared rating, I am guessing that holding back on their ‘true’ rating is not limited to this line. As I test more of my newer Timex watches, I will report the findings.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Timex MK1- 9bar Testing of 3bar Rated Watch

Post by cortman »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:08 pm 0EDD5A04-2CAB-459A-A9D0-13E6C6A5FB87.jpeg
I had been looking at the Timex MK1 line for a while. They seamed like they might be a decent watch for ~$60 and some models were dancing with the $30 zone. The thing that kept holding me back was the water resistance rating of 30m.

Yes that is probably what the original Timex field watches were rated at, but we know that Timex can do better than that. Why not bump that up to 50m or even 100m. They upgraded from a resin case to stainless or aluminum, so why stand at 30m. To me, it just didn’t make any sense.

Along comes Black Friday and Joma Shop’s stupid low price of just over $22 for an MK1 in a color way that looked like it would suit me. I bought two aluminum models despite the WR rating, and later one in stainless. but in the back of my mind I kept wondering what where these would fail and at what pressure.

Forward a few weeks and I have a $50 Amazon gift card from Christmas and I buy all the parts to make a DIY watch pressure tester (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2367). Finally, I can have an answer on this.

I started with my stainless model.

768F9863-5262-4A4C-ABF8-4E88574F0311.jpeg

3bar - no problem
4bar- OK
5bar- OK

At this point I gain a little confidence and jump to

7bar- OK
9bar- OK

With my bike pump I am maxing out at 9bar or 90m, so I had to stop there. Still, the damn thing passes without a problem.

Maybe it is just the stainless models, so I tested both of the aluminum MK1s... they both pass a 9bar test!

I will admit that this is a small sample size, but 3 for 3 watches at 3x the declared rating is pretty amazing. These tests were done on the 3-hander models as that is what I have handy. I may be able to borrow a MK1 chrono if people are interested in a single watch test.

While I can’t assume that all Timex watches are going to pass at 3x their declared rating, I am guessing that holding back on their ‘true’ rating is not limited to this line. As I test more of my newer Timex watches, I will report the findings.
This is fantastic info! I wore my MK1 three hand in the shower for a week while camping and never had a problem, this verifies that it's not a fluke!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Awesome build and test [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]! I had my new Ashford special MK1 in the water for about five hours today. Safe to say submerged for 3.5-4 of those. No real depth to speak of but lots of knocking around and pretty rough use. I’m even sore in a place that I didn’t realize existed :?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thanks [mention]cortman[/mention] and [mention]Split-Time[/mention] for those real life tests/testaments. It is great when the real world experiences line up with the ‘lab’ tests.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Really great [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] !
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] can you please discuss the method of testing you used?

The WUS thread that originated this design discussed release pressure prior to submersion, but commercially produced units instruct release of pressure slowly once the watch is already submerged.

Thanks! This makes me want to build one and test my 30M WR Pagani PD-1644
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Releasing the pressure before to wat h is dipped prevent water from getting in the case.

When the pressure is released the pressure in the watch prevents water from coming in once it is dunked and only then letting air out.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Here is what I am doing. It could be a less than ideal procedure and I should probably read up on it more. Step 1 is definitely correct. A partial decompression could be done prior to submerging the watch and then releasing further pressure. Someone in the thread mentioned it, but I haven’t gone back to read the reasoning since I built this.

1. Pressurize vessel with watch suspended above water.
2. Wait some amount of time ~10min or more
3. Release all pressure and check to make sure that the crystal doesn’t pop off.
4. Tilt vessel so that watch is fully submerged.
5. Observe for bubbles.
6. Set vessel upright again, open lid and retrieve watch.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

I'd also be interested to see if this is holds true for the MK1 chronograph as well as other Timex models like the Easy Reader for example.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Miggyd87 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm I'd also be interested to see if this is holds true for the MK1 chronograph as well as other Timex models like the Easy Reader for example.
I have a couple Scouts in different sizes, an Expedition and an Easy Reader. They all have 30m or 50m rating in them. I will get to testing those when I get the chance. I will also look into borrowing a MK1 chronograph.

I am thinking that this thread should be called MK1 vs. Pressure Tester or something like that since it is a little more punchy. Hopefully I will get one of these watches to fail.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

9 Bar VS. _____ : A versus series.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am
Miggyd87 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm I'd also be interested to see if this is holds true for the MK1 chronograph as well as other Timex models like the Easy Reader for example.
I have a couple Scouts in different sizes, an Expedition and an Easy Reader. They all have 30m or 50m rating in them. I will get to testing those when I get the chance. I will also look into borrowing a MK1 chronograph.

I am thinking that this thread should be called MK1 vs. Pressure Tester or something like that since it is a little more punchy. Hopefully I will get one of these watches to fail.

I have one I could send you.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:33 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am

I have one I could send you.
Thanks Matt. I have a neighbor with a couple that I will ask first. No need to get the post involved.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Miggyd87 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:48 pm 9 Bar VS. _____ : A versus series.
That could be a very boring series.

30M Easy Reader took 9ATM without a problem. I will pressurize it again and leave it for more than 10 minutes and see if it holds.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

So an ER took 9bar....sounds so weird.

How is 9bar vs _____ boring? I mean...if they all pass than ya I guess. But an ER doing 9bar is quite wild to me.