Marloe Coniston Black Edition mini review

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cheesetime
MoT Member

Marloe Coniston Black Edition mini review

Post by cheesetime »

Since discovering the Marloe Coniston watch earlier in 2020, I have had it on my short list for future purchase. For Black Friday Marloe introduced a black edition variant that really piqued my interest. After spending the next month himming and hawing, I finally pulled the trigger on New Years. While technically this purchase was in 2020, since I took receipt of it I am considering it a 2021 purchase. This also helps justify to my wife of yet another watch purchase ("no, I didn't buy another watch this year)."

The reviews for the other versions of the Coniston speak to the cool design, pretty skeletonized Miyota movement, and the overall fit and finish of the watch. After holding one in hand, I can tell you that all of the praise is true. It is a beautiful watch in person that feels like it should have come at a much higher price point.

It does not appear the Marloe runs many, if any, sales/promotions. So, if I wanted this bad boy, I would have to shell out the full asking price of $390. Shipping was included (received in one week from the UK), but I had to pay $21 in sales tax.

The watch came in a big cardboard Marloe branded box. The watch box itself was packaged safely inside with plenty of padding. The watch presentation box was nice, including a fact card with model number with details of the watch and movement on the back. The inuded owners manual is a nicely done booklet that overviews the watch, the company, and the Coniston name.

The watch itself looks fantastic. The applied silver indicies catch the light and the dial is nice and clean. The numbers on the dial ring are a sand/gold color which plays well with the Marloe logo at 12 and the stitching in the band.

As other reviews mention, the watch has virtually no bezel due to the way the case flutes up meets the sapphire crystal. I like this.

Flipping the watch over you see the skeletonized Miyota 8N33 manual movement at 21,600 bph. The Black Edition uses a nickel finished Miyota movement whereas the normal Coniston uses a gold finished movement. While not the prettiest of movements, the fact that it is skeletonized is a nice touch so you can get a good look at the movement itself.

Around the edge of the case back, Marloe imprinted the quote "to the future and whatever it may hold" which I found apropos given 2020 and the way in which 2021 has started.

Buyers are also given the option of selecting their version number, if available. I chose my birthday, 3/19, and that is a nice touch.

The band is soft and I like it; enough so, that I will most likely stick with the stock band which is unusual for me.

The watch has a ring around the edge of the dial that illuminates in the dark. A lume moat is the best way I can describe it. In the light it has a nice cream color, but in the dark it puts off quite a glow. Hands are lumed too.

The only nitpicky thing I have with this watch is the choice of hands. They are fine, but to my taste, I would have preferred a different style. I do like the second hand though. The subtle sand colored arrow at the tip along with no counter balance at the other end.

Overall, I am very please with this purchase. It was between this and a Hamilton Intramatic three hander and given the quality for price here, I think I made the right choice. The design is pretty unique and executed very well in my opinion.

If your on the fence, go for it.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
cheesetime
MoT Member

Re: Marloe Coniston Black Edition mini review

Post by cheesetime »

Forgot to add, the watch sits nice on my 6.5 - 6.75 inch wrist. Image
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Marloe Coniston Black Edition mini review

Post by TheJohnP »

Thanks for the review!
I've had my eye on the Coniston as well, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Looks good in this colorway.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find