We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Monthly Watch Worn Tally Reporting

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

In 2018-2019 I kept track of the watches I had and what I was wearing day to day. This helped me keep an eye on what was getting worn and what wasn't. It was eye opening that watches I loved like the Speedy Pro never got wrist time. I am not the type to keep expensive stuff sitting so I ended up selling a few pieces, but since I had solid data to support my decision there wasn't a lot of wringing of hands over the decision.

In 2020 I got away from the habit and really feel like my collecting while fun didnt have much direction. I just rode the wave last year. But in 2021 I am feeling motivated to be more intentional so I have started tracking things again.

I basically look at each day having 2 watch wearing opportunties. One at work and another when I get home. This isnt a hard and fast rule but i find that for me its holds true more often than not. So in a month I generally have ~60 watch wearing opportunities. And sometimes I don't wear a watch at all (Gasp!!) and I track that as well. I am down to a much smaller grouping of watches now than I used to have but its still an enjoyable exercise for me that only takes about 30 minutes a month to keep up with.

Here is my January stats.
SOLD = Watch sold that month** My sales this month were planned in advance and didn't really have to do with my stat tracking but more with the chase for something else that i needed funds for**

NEW = Watch Purchased that month

Feel free to join me on this ridiculous analysis of a ridiculous hobby!

-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: Monthly Watch Worn Tally Reporting

Post by Sussa »

We have oddly identical histories. I tracked the same years you did, stopped last year, and things got a little out of control. I was mulling over the idea of tracking again this year when you posted. Now my spreadsheet is updated and I'm starting with February.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Sussa wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:03 am We have oddly identical histories. I tracked the same years you did, stopped last year, and things got a little out of control. I was mulling over the idea of tracking again this year when you posted. Now my spreadsheet is updated and I'm starting with February.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the stats next month
-- Enjoy your time
mrb12186
MoT Member

Post by mrb12186 »

I have to say I’m surprised I actually kept this up all month and I think I’ll keep it going past February. A few things I learned from this:

1) I should probably move my watch boxes out of the office so I’m more likely to rotate, especially over the weekends.

2) I’m not wearing my Seikos

3) I need to sell some watches.

I was already planning a big sell off to fund a grail but this reinforced what I learned during the watch fast, in that I’d be content with a smaller collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Happy to report that I'm taking full advantage of my collection and nearly wore a different watch every day. The Citizen Watch Group got a little extra love with the Bulova Lunar Pilot, Citizen Challenge Timer, and Citizen Nighthawk being the only watches I wore more than once.

This makes for some boring data visualization though.
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 9.14.32 AM.png
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

February numbers are in!

3 Out and 1 In.

So once again dominated by Seiko. The newest addition was the SPB147 at the end of the month and it managed to still grab 14% of wrist time. But my 3 Seikos make up 80% of my wrist time. WOW! Thats something.

Still tracking in March already. I do have a big purchase planned and the only watch that could possible leave is the SPB147. We will see how that works for wrist time.
Last edited by IKEEPGOODTIME on Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Sussa wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:15 am Happy to report that I'm taking full advantage of my collection and nearly wore a different watch every day. The Citizen Watch Group got a little extra love with the Bulova Lunar Pilot, Citizen Challenge Timer, and Citizen Nighthawk being the only watches I wore more than once.

This makes for some boring data visualization though.
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 9.14.32 AM.png

Amazing and awesome that you can get so much even wear with that many watches.
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

mrb12186 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 am I have to say I’m surprised I actually kept this up all month and I think I’ll keep it going past February. A few things I learned from this:

1) I should probably move my watch boxes out of the office so I’m more likely to rotate, especially over the weekends.

2) I’m not wearing my Seikos

3) I need to sell some watches.

I was already planning a big sell off to fund a grail but this reinforced what I learned during the watch fast, in that I’d be content with a smaller collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do the Alpina and Cward do right that makes them get more wrist time?
-- Enjoy your time
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

valuewatchguy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:35 pm February numbers are in!

3 Out and 1 In.

So once again dominated by Seiko. The newest addition was the SPB147 at the end of the month and it managed to still grab 14% of wrist time. But my 3 Seikos make up 80% of my wrist time. WOW! Thats something.

Still tracking in March already. I do have a big purchase planned and the only watch that could possible leave is the SPB147. We will see how that works for wrist time.
Dang!
Wish I knew you were selling a Visitor.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Dang!
Wish I knew you were selling a Visitor.
Well it was only in my hands for 7 days. I can speak to all the great qualities of that watch and why its worth more than what they charge but i just didnt connect with it. I listed it on Reddit and WUS though. That one was a particularly attractive sale for many because it had the bracelet too.
-- Enjoy your time
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Variety continued to be the theme in March, with only four watches being worn more than one day: three days with the Unimatic U1, and two days each for Casio white calculator CA53W, Keith Haring G-Shock, and Seiko 7006.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.04.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 2.16.31 PM.png
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I love this thread and think I'm going to start participating. I take a pic of whatever I'm wearing, so I should be able to do March.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

March numbers are in. Got a new watche in this month Tudor Ranger and it quickly earned a place in the rotation.
The 147 says NEW but it actually arrived at the end of February and will leave in April most likely with a Halios Universa taking its place. Still hoping for the "Big" One" to arrive in April. But a 4 watch rotation feels excellent for me.

-- Enjoy your time
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Well, I went through my pictures and I think this is a pretty darn good representation of what I wore in February and March. Not surprise the Speedmaster and Trilogy are most worn.

IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:36 pm Well, I went through my pictures and I think this is a pretty darn good representation of what I wore in February and March. Not surprise the Speedmaster and Trilogy are most worn.

(please take this as not a jerk talking here, but someone who faces the same issues)

So you already had several pieces in February that didnt get much if any wear and then you added more watches in March to get little to no wear. To make matters more dramatic your most worn watches actually got more use in spite of having more choices to compete for wrist time.

So what was the loigic of adding the several that you did? (maybe you already owned them? )
-- Enjoy your time