Halios Fairwind & Universa Thread

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Halios Fairwind & Universa Thread

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Not sure how many of you are planning to get the Universa but like the Fairwind it will be a well received watch. The Pastel blue in particular is of interest to many and there are lots of pictures available however, none are especially consistant with each other.

I have a Pastel Blue and Selenic Silver coming in. Both colors are sort of out of my wheelhouse a bit and until I see it in the flesh I wont know what to think of it.

This picture of the pastel blue by reddit user u/redblueadvil looks like it might be the most accurate ive seen with the least post processing

But this might be a good place to consolidate discussion about these two models
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Halios Fairwind & Universa Thread

Post by Boourns »

I had been meaning to order the pastel universa but I missed the order time because I had a work call go long. If you end up not liking it shoot me a PM.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Paging [mention]DogOnTime[/mention]
Paging [mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

In pictures, this one is a bit of a miss for me. I would really like to see it in the metal to get a better feel for it. That being said, at first glance and only going by pictures:

The non-numeral hour markers should be rectangular than square chunks, and the width of the bezel is a bit much. Also, the hour hand is a bit too short while the minute hand is a bit too long.

On the positives, I really like the seconds hand, it reminds me of the one on a vintage Westclox I have. The crown and bracelet look outstanding, and I understand Halios build quality is top-notch, so this should be no different.

All subjective criticisms, but there you are.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 am In pictures, this one is a bit of a miss for me. I would really like to see it in the metal to get a better feel for it. That being said, at first glance and only going by pictures:

The non-numeral hour markers should be rectangular than square chunks, and the width of the bezel is a bit much. Also, the hour hand is a bit too short while the minute hand is a bit too long.

On the positives, I really like the seconds hand, it reminds me of the one on a vintage Westclox I have. The crown and bracelet look outstanding, and I understand Halios build quality is top-notch, so this should be no different.

All subjective criticisms, but there you are.

So most of those criticisms, I shared at first glance .......2 years ago......2 years later I have ordered two of them. All the percularities have actually come together for me as a very nice vintage design. Especially the case shape. I don't think the bezel is as big as what it looks like in some pics, the glass must give some illusion there. He took design inspiration from the 80's Countach super car.

Image **this is the fairwind but both watches uses the same midcase. ***

This watch also has some vintage traits that remind me of this old Bulova

These next two pics are older (non production versions of the Universa that I think show the bezel better)

-- Enjoy your time
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

If you like the designs you cannot go wrong on these watches. I've owned probably 90 watches now and my fairwind is easily in the top 10 for quality and design. Jason makes a good product and takes the time to make sure it's exactly how he wants. Unlike other microbrands (looking at you Hamtun).

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Selenic silver

ImageImage
-- Enjoy your time
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Quick editing job, but this fixes my issues with the hands.

Original on the left, my edit on the right.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:01 am Quick editing job, but this fixes my issues with the hands.

Original on the left, my edit on the right.

Looks nice. Maybe he’ll make changes to mk2
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

-- Enjoy your time
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

valuewatchguy wrote:Image
Looks great. First impressions? When did you order?
I'm still impatiently waiting on my to ship. [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

valuewatchguy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 pm Image
Looks great!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm
valuewatchguy wrote:Image
Looks great. First impressions? When did you order?
I'm still impatiently waiting on my to ship. [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Let me just say that I am so impressed. I passed on the Fairwind which obviously has similar qualities. But I wanted bezel-less. I first started my desire for this piece in April 2019 so after 2 years I am so glad I waited. I passed on so many other watches in the last many months all so I could be ready to pull the trigger on this. It was worth the wait.

If the design suits you, then grab it. This was is really the best quality watch I can think of under $800. If the clasp were smaller and sleeker while maintaining the same functionality, we would be talkign about this in $1250+ conversations.

I had originally intended to keep one of these and my Seiko SPB147. Having these two in hand I sold my SPB today. Not sure if that means I will keep both long term but it does mean the decision of which 1 to sell was very easy. Bye Bye Seiko!

The watch plays with light in a way that most watches short of GS dont attempt to. This is not to say it is GS quality but it is GS-like in the way it reflects light off the many polished angular surfaces. That aspect is very appealing to me. I'm a fan of the 12-3-6-9 dial. The case is just a sleek angular beauty. The pastel blue looks FAR better than I expected in person. The Silver is just awesome. It is white with a silver frost to it. I would prefer a bit more off-white like my old Globemaster was but I'm not complaining hard here.
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

NOT MY PICTUREs

Credit to FB user Stephan Trimbos

-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

This is probably about as small as I want to go with a watch. Looks bigger in photo but it’s not a big watch on my 7.25 wrist. Feels like a great dress watch format considering the sleek case

ImageImage
-- Enjoy your time