We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Seiko USA service

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Boourns
MoT Member

Seiko USA service

Post by Boourns »

So after seeing Dear Leader's thread on Swatch Group's repair process I thought I'd share mine with Seiko's. The back story is I bought a Landrek 8F56 on reddit for a good price because it had slightly misaligned hands:

Well about a week after I got it, I noticed that overnight it had stopped ticking. I pulled the crown out and pushed it back in, and it went around about 50 seconds and then stopped again.

So after calling some local watch repair shops, none of which wanted to touch it, I found Seiko USA's repair website, which didn't inspire a ton of confidence based only on the look: https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/

However, they list their repair prices very transparently up front based on movement type. The prices probably aren't the cheapest, but they generally aren't outrageous either. Prices for mechanicals range from $118 (7S line) to a slightly eye watering $983 (5R8 line, yay spring drive!). Quartz movements range from $98 (ani-digital non-divers) to $735 (9T). Discontinued calibers (including my 8F56) are $154.
Here's the full list: https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/pages/serviceprice/

The other slightly unsettling thing is that, you have to ship your watch along with a printed out piece of paper with your info. No online registration beforehand. This is obviously how things used to work, but it's a little jarring in 2021. https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/repairo ... wtorepair/

With few other options, away it went on the Thursday before labor day.

And, to my surprise, I already heard back! I got an email from Seiko this morning with the following:

When you click the link you are taken straight to the page with all the pertinent info, and the repair they recommend, with the option to make the repair or return the watch. However, unlike the Swatch group repair, they don't show you a photo.

I clicked on repair, entered my credit card information (Mastercard and Visa only), and was taken to a confirmation page. I also received an email confirmation that said the watch would be assigned to a watchmaker ASAP. However, no timeline was given, and it's unclear if I will receive email updates. You can also check the status of the repair on their website by putting in your repair # and email address. Currently that just shows the same confirmation page I saw right after I entered my payment info.

Overall I am pretty happy with the process. The only uncertainty is whether/how I will get updates on the repair. I suspect that I'll get email updates, but we will see! I'll keep everyone updated on the process.

tl;dr:
- Site is basic, but prices are transparent.
- Must ship watch with piece of paper containing your information.
- Quick confirmation with repair estimate.
- Not as comprehensive as Swatch Group repair experience.
- So far so good.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Seiko USA service

Post by MoT »

Good luck! I think more threads we have like this, the better it will be for everyone. More knowledge is always great.
Boourns wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:13 am The other slightly unsettling thing is that, you have to ship your watch along with a printed out piece of paper with your info. No online registration beforehand. This is obviously how things used to work, but it's a little jarring in 2021.
This is how SGUS operates as well. It's odd in this day and age, but there must be some method to the madness.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Potato_With_Arms
MoT Member

Post by Potato_With_Arms »

Let's hope your experience with Seiko repair is better than mine:

I sent my VK67 Chrono in for repair because the Chrono seconds would get caught/stop running. Received it back a week and a half later, and to my dismay it still had the same problem.

Sent it back again and the reported fix was a movement swap. Received it after a month and now the original issue appears fixed, but the 12hr subdial hand was clearly misaligned.... So I sold it :roll:

-Fairly efficient
-Somewhat incompetent ( at least in my case)
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Potato_With_Arms wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 pm Let's hope your experience with Seiko repair is better than mine:

I sent my VK67 Chrono in for repair because the Chrono seconds would get caught/stop running. Received it back a week and a half later, and to my dismay it still had the same problem.

Sent it back again and the reported fix was a movement swap. Received it after a month and now the original issue appears fixed, but the 12hr subdial hand was clearly misaligned.... So I sold it :roll:

-Fairly efficient
-Somewhat incompetent ( at least in my case)
That's a bummer. I hope your experience was an aberration!!
bocbass
MoT Member

Post by bocbass »

I used an AD to send a Seiko 5 with a 4R for an overhaul from the Seiko service center. Thanks to covid the total time the watch was gone was almost 8 months, but it came back to me running great. I think the total was just over $200.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

The watch arrived today. They replaced the movement and aligned the hands. It came in a small USPS box with peanuts and was set to my local time. All in all, the watch was out of my hands for 18 days, including shipping both ways. Not bad at all.