We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Silly date dial question for you to ponder

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Silly date dial question for you to ponder

Post by Elkins45 »

Let’s say you have a quartz watch with plenty of battery life, or a solar with plenty of light. You set the time and date on January 1 and just leave it alone. On March 1 the date will be wrong because it will say 29, and as the months pass it will be increasingly incorrect as the 30 day months accumulate.

How long will it be before the date is correct again?
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Silly date dial question for you to ponder

Post by MoT »

Elkins45 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:54 am Let’s say you have a quartz watch with plenty of battery life, or a solar with plenty of light. You set the time and date on January 1 and just leave it alone. On March 1 the date will be wrong because it will say 29, and as the months pass it will be increasingly incorrect as the 30 day months accumulate.

I'm probably wrong, but I think the answer is never. I'm sure people better at math than I am will figure it out.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:19 am
Elkins45 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:54 am Let’s say you have a quartz watch with plenty of battery life, or a solar with plenty of light. You set the time and date on January 1 and just leave it alone. On March 1 the date will be wrong because it will say 29, and as the months pass it will be increasingly incorrect as the 30 day months accumulate.

I'm probably wrong, but I think the answer is never. I'm sure people better at math than I am will figure it out.
No, it definitely does come back around to being correct. To state the question another way: how long does it take a running watch to be wrong by 31 days?

I couldn't stand not knowing the answer so I figured it out, but for those of you who enjoy such things let's specify that you start on the first year after a leap year.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I have no idea and no intention of doing that much math, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere out there there's a Vostok owner who's given up on correcting the date who's had personal experience.

Tap. Talk. Buy another watch. Repeat.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

First 2 years it would be off by 7 days each year = 14d
Third year a leap year off 6 days = 20d
Fourth year another 7 days = 27d
Then another 4 days in Feb = 31d

That is 1520 days. It would be correct again on Mar 1st, but then off again May 1st.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:12 pm First 2 years it would be off by 7 days each year = 14d
Third year a leap year off 6 days = 20d
Fourth year another 7 days = 27d
Then another 4 days in Feb = 31d

That is 1520 days. It would be correct again on Mar 1st, but then off again May 1st.
I think you created a February 32 in your 5th year. I think it should be correct on May 1 of the 5th year but wrong again on July 1.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Oops, I did add an extra day in Feb…. That’s what I get for doing math after Sake.

So Feb only gets us to 30d, then April adds the last day…May 1 is correct. Careless error did me in…. Hats off to @Elkins45
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm Oops, I did add an extra day in Feb…. That’s what I get for doing math after Sake.

So Feb only gets us to 30d, then April adds the last day…May 1 is correct. Careless error did me in…. Hats off to @Elkins45
It seems cruel that you have to wait over five years for it to correct itself and then you only get to enjoy it for a month. Like one of those rare flowers that only blooms for one night every century (assuming such things aren't purely fiction.)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Elkins45 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:19 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm Oops, I did add an extra day in Feb…. That’s what I get for doing math after Sake.

It seems cruel that you have to wait over five years for it to correct itself and then you only get to enjoy it for a month. Like one of those rare flowers that only blooms for one night every century (assuming such things aren't purely fiction.)
Corpse flower?

The Univeristy of Minnesota has one that blooms every three years or so.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

OK. Same question but it’s a vintage automatic on a winder that runs +1 minute per day.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

Boourns wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm OK. Same question but it’s a vintage automatic on a winder that runs +1 minute per day.
Well, it takes 1581 days to turn over and there are 1440 minutes in a day. That means your watch would gain a little more than a day over the course of the five years so it would be caught up at the end of February on year five.