Personal preferred watch aesthetics

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Neurogenes

Personal preferred watch aesthetics

Post by Neurogenes »

Hi all. I wanted to start a conversation and satisfy my curiosity about the personal aesthetic preferences of people in this community.

There are functional ways to group watches (i.e. automatic, manual, quartz) and semi-functional, partially aesthetic ways (i.e., dive, field, dress) to do the same. I'm curious whether there are purely aesthetic features that draw you to a watch (or set of watches) that aren't captured by these categorizations.

For my part, I guess I'm attracted to circles :)

An easy example is the CCCP Friedmann. It's much bigger and thicker then anything else in my collection, but I find myself wearing it surprisingly often. I find it visually interesting and fairly distinctive, and even though it isn't the most comfortable watch for me, I like having it on my wrist every now and then. Image CCCP Friedmann, Image from Ashford

The older style Movado 1881 automatics are in most ways a mile away from the Friedmann. They're smaller, more dressy, more comfortable, and more expensive, to start with. But there's something about the pairing of the small circular date window at 6 o'clock with the larger dot emblematic of Movado watches at 12 that I really like and that reminds me of the CCCP Friedmann. ImageMovado 1881 Automatic, Image from Shopworn

My current favorite watch - and the one I am kicking myself for not buying a few weeks ago when it was on sale at Ashford - is the Mido Heures & Minutes Decentrees. This watch has two subdials on the watchface connected by a semicircular date window. Like the CCCP and Movado, the circlular features are not the same size. Image
Mido Heures & Minutes Decentrees, Image from Jomashop

Differently sized circles or subdials are a common aspect even among the higher end timepieces I never expect to try to afford, like the Glashutte PanoMaticLunar. Image Glashutte PanoMaticLunar, Image from Prestige Time

So there you have it - apparently I like circles on my watches, especially when they aren't the same size. I didn't plan it that way, but noticed that commonality among several of my favorite but otherwise very different watches. I'm wondering what other aesthetic features trigger something in the community here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Personal preferred watch aesthetics

Post by TheJohnP »

Can't say I've noticed any outstanding aesthetic commonality within my collection. But aesthetics plays a major role in a purchase, in fact, probably the most important role next to price.

I will say, that I agree the CCCP Friedmann is a bit on the large size. But I dig it too regardless.

Considering what you do like, might a suggest adding this Louis Erard Le Régulateur Louis Erard x Eric Giroud to your wish list?

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I'm a sucker for busy, tacticool watches. Lots of markers on the dial / bezel, lots of pushers. (this may be a phase, but sure is long-lasting)

I strongly prefer a mate finish over polish. I especially don't like polish on anything under the crystal (hands, markers, logos, etc)

I love “C-Shape” cases.
In Genta’s revolutionary “C-Shape” case, the lugs, rather than being extensions of the case, flow in a continuous arc from the crown, providing a C-shape from lug-to-lug.
Living a comeback montage.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Teak dials (not the wood, the pattern)

Gilt/Rhodium relief dials (hard to come by, and pictures don't do them justice, but I'd rock one in anything from a dress piece to a 500M diver).

Twisted lugs a la Omega. Can't get enough of them.

Slim mid cases. Don't care what style it is, but it's especially awesome if it is a diver.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

At first I couldn't think of any aesthetic that I'm drawn too. I guess it's never something I've ever really thought about. Then I started thinking and I'm really drawn to blue in my watches. So many of my watches have blue dials, bezels, and even straps. After I put my son to bed I'm taking a look at my watch box.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Long sinuous hands send me into a swoon.
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 3.26.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 3.26.30 AM.png (105.1 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 3.28.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 3.28.02 AM.png (301.99 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

I’m drawn to Mid-century inspired dive watches with hi-dome crystals and minimal polishing on the case or bracelet.

Some examples from my current collection: