We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Post by Stretch44 »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:37 pm I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." @whoagorgeous posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

This deal was so far below that price that I told my wife that we needed to talk, and five seconds later she said, "do it."

The watch arrived today. It looked great but the chronograph did not function correctly. The top pusher started the chrono on the first depression, but the second depression reset the chrono hand instead of stopping it. I sent an email to DavidSW and within about thirty minutes David himself called me (on a Saturday, no less). He was very apologetic and said the watch passed their tests and he offered me two options. I could return the watch for a full refund or they would fix it. I think am going to take him up on the offer to fix the problem. He explained that because of the COVID crisis it would be a few weeks before the watch could be serviced, so he offered to refund my money and then sell the watch back to me.

Does this send up any red flags to anyone? Assuming that I trust the repair, I am still far enough ahead that I can pay for a full service in the future and be around what I was considering my "act now" price.
I hate to hear this, I was so excited for you. I've purchased from DavidSW and have had only good experiences with him. His communication is great. However, I've not had a situation like this. If you're comfortable with the price and he services it to a proper standard, then I'd probably keep it. Did the watch come with a full kit and stamped warranty cards? Any idea how old it is?
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Split-Time wrote:I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." [mention]whoagorgeous[/mention] posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

This deal was so far below that price that I told my wife that we needed to talk, and five seconds later she said, "do it."

The watch arrived today. It looked great but the chronograph did not function correctly. The top pusher started the chrono on the first depression, but the second depression reset the chrono hand instead of stopping it. I sent an email to DavidSW and within about thirty minutes David himself called me (on a Saturday, no less). He was very apologetic and said the watch passed their tests and he offered me two options. I could return the watch for a full refund or they would fix it. I think am going to take him up on the offer to fix the problem. He explained that because of the COVID crisis it would be a few weeks before the watch could be serviced, so he offered to refund my money and then sell the watch back to me.

Does this send up any red flags to anyone? Assuming that I trust the repair, I am still far enough ahead that I can pay for a full service in the future and be around what I was considering my "act now" price.
I am so sorry to hear this. All my deals with them have been fair and his watches came as descriped/as pictured.

I wouldn't hesitate on his proposal. Take the full refund, send back the watch, and it'll get repaired.

After it's been serviced and he still offers you the piece for the same price, then you can decide by then.

No harm done. Your money is back with you and not being held captive for repairs (like how my cward situation is).

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Split-Time wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:37 pm I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." @whoagorgeous posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

I hate to hear this, I was so excited for you. I've purchased from DavidSW and have had only good experiences with him. His communication is great. However, I've not had a situation like this. If you're comfortable with the price and he services it to a proper standard, then I'd probably keep it. Did the watch come with a full kit and stamped warranty cards? Any idea how old it is?
No, it does not have the collector's kit or warranty card. That wasn't a deal breaker for me for the price, which was $2,875 after the $500 coupon. All I know is that based on the reference number it shouldn't be older than 2014. I did pay with my credit card which added a few bucks, but they stood behind me 100% on a Nikon lens issue in the past. To my naked eye the watch looks too good not to have been polished, and David confirmed this. The only way I can really tell is that the serial number on the bottom of the lug is fainter than I think it should be.

Two have shown up for sale locally at my "act now" price, and one of them is a Feb 2020 model LNIB with warranty and the collectors kit. After tax it will be about $1,000 more than the DSW watch. The service is the big unknown. I'm going to have to sleep on this decision.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

whoagorgeous wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm
Split-Time wrote:I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." @whoagorgeous posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

I am so sorry to hear this. All my deals with them have been fair and his watches came as descriped/as pictured.

I wouldn't hesitate on his proposal. Take the full refund, send back the watch, and it'll get repaired.

After it's been serviced and he still offers you the piece for the same price, then you can decide by then.

No harm done. Your money is back with you and not being held captive for repairs (like how my cward situation is).

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I am still very thankful that you posted the deal and that I jumped on it. We are dealing with used mechanical watches, and chronographs at that. His customer service has been fantastic during this very short period of time. In fact, he has already sent the shipping label.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Split-Time wrote:I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." [mention]whoagorgeous[/mention] posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

No experience with seller but based on your situation option one may be the best one.

1. Send back for full refund and commitment to repair and resell at same price. Economic situation means more deals will be coming, you may find another great deal before it's repaired.

2. Get commitment for free repair of the problem, specify issues, and to send in once repair becomes available in the future. Taking a chance that it may not materialize for whatever reason but you seem keen on it as is.

Hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

PetWatch wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:51 am
Split-Time wrote:I hope this is the right place to share an update on the Speedmaster that I ordered Thursday night, even though it is no longer "incoming." @whoagorgeous posted a smoking deal on a speedy at DavidSW that included a $500 off coupon (thank you!). I passed on a similar watch in Nashville almost three years ago, and since that time I have had in my mind what my "act now" price has been, although I was hoping that would be fairly local.

No experience with seller but based on your situation option one may be the best one.

1. Send back for full refund and commitment to repair and resell at same price. Economic situation means more deals will be coming, you may find another great deal before it's repaired.

2. Get commitment for free repair of the problem, specify issues, and to send in once repair becomes available in the future. Taking a chance that it may not materialize for whatever reason but you seem keen on it as is.

Hope it works out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you for your thoughts. I am thankful for any and all input.

I feel like I am already seeing prices fall on this model, which is the only "non-afforadable" that I sort of follow.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Probably not the best time to buy a watch with all that's happening in the world right now, but I just ordered a Longines hydroconquest chronograph with the 7750 movement. I think I paid like $560 for it after shipping so I think I did alright. It'll pair well with my 39mm hydroconquest. I wasn't sure how I felt on the silver on silver combo but it's kinda got the Rolex yachtmaster vibe going on. I figured if I don't like it I can sell it to make a buck or break even. I already know it's running +4s/day.

I'm excited since I've never owned an automatic chronograph before, or even used one in person.

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Ordered some straps from CNS as they are having a save-the-business sale. My small hail includes a NASA Velcro strap to go with the Data Link as I figured that would be an appropriate pairing. Hopefully the Data Link actually fires up when it arrives.

Edit: Bonus, it is out for delivery!
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I ordered a bunch of straps from CNS too, in the hopes of helping them out a bit. Going to try two piece nylon straps for the first time- not sure if I'll really love them or hate them. Also some rubber straps for the divers for summer.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Well look what we have here! A couple of watches arrived for review from Sergio at Direnzo. Be sure to check the Reviews forum in the next days for first impressions.
9189AD02-2C20-4909-8E9F-CC7511156831.jpeg
Edit: Review posted here.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

It's such a cheapie, but I'm excited for tomorrow!
Capture.PNG
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I've accepted a new position on my dream career path and had to treat myself. Rounding out my collection of Visitors with the Linden.
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 5.45.35 PM.png
This combo, to be exact:
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 5.45.18 PM.png
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Sussa wrote:I've accepted a new position on my dream career path and had to treat myself. Rounding out my collection of Visitors with the Linden.
This combo, to be exact:
Congrats on both!!

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sussa wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 pm I've accepted a new position on my dream career path and had to treat myself. Rounding out my collection of Visitors with the Linden.

This combo, to be exact:
Awesome! Congratulations and wishing you all the best on the new position!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

The incoming thread was buried a week deep. I guess that we are trying to be conservative given what is happening with the current pandemic.

I should really avoid eBay at times like this. After seeing a bunch of Swatch .beat watches going for sometimes stupid amounts once you factor in shipping, this one popped up and was only $16.20 after applying some eBucks. It is missing a springbar in the aluminum bracelet, but that is an easy fix. Looking at the wear to the battery hatch and the accumulation of wrist cheese on the caseback engraving, it should be in really good condition.

If it turns out to be giant on me, I can always use it as a desk clock. As a piece of really cool design that captures a moment (or 1,000 over the course of a day), it is pretty cool. I thank/blame Watchpalooza for making me aware of this watch.