As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:Brand new Timex Expedition T40091SU for $9 incoming! [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] is this something you might be interested in?

Thanks for thinking of me. That is a sweet price for a good beater Timex. I think I paid a little over that for a used one a while back. At this point I haven’t done any re-dials on a Timex for fear of killing the indigo. Theoretically it could work OK so long as the dial can be stripped without killing the indiglo layer. Presently I have watches on which to work and this one I fear would stay unloved for too long in my keeping. Thanks again for thinking of me though.

Is there a source for these or was it a one off? If someone out there has a stash of these on the cheap, then I would have to reconsider it as a new base watch for future MoT watches as my supply of Nixon MODs is wearing thin.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:47 am
yinzburgher wrote:Brand new Timex Expedition T40091SU for $9 incoming! @Sporkboy is this something you might be interested in?

Thanks for thinking of me. That is a sweet price for a good beater Timex. I think I paid a little over that for a used one a while back. At this point I haven’t done any re-dials on a Timex for fear of killing the indigo. Theoretically it could work OK so long as the dial can be stripped without killing the indiglo layer. Presently I have watches on which to work and this one I fear would stay unloved for too long in my keeping. Thanks again for thinking of me though.

Is there a source for these or was it a one off? If someone out there has a stash of these on the cheap, then I would have to reconsider it as a new base watch for future MoT watches as my supply of Nixon MODs is wearing thin.
It was one of those Amazon deals that sell out within minutes, usually as soon as they make it to a deal site. But being a long-time proponent of buying "one to rock and one to stock", of course I have two coming. They shipped already. I'm unsure of when I'll see them as I'm doing the hotel thing at the moment and unsure of when and where I'm going next. Hopefully soon though. I doubt I'll make any other use of it in the near term but I imagine I'll eventually sell it or gift it. But if at some point you want one for a project, give a shout to see if I still have it. 👍
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

whoagorgeous wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:39 pm Thanks for the history! Wow. That looks amazing!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I concur! Love the details.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This one is a bit unusual, and not my normal bag. It’s a project watch with a lot of potential upside. Appears to be from a watchmaker who passed away before he could finish it. Picked it up for $250, and hoping to be able to finish it as a project.

Details:

- Longines regulator pocket watch movement from 1904
- Benzinger hand-guilloche’d Sterling silver dial
- Exhibition back
- Custom case

A52E0CDE-50E1-4DE2-B2FB-DBFECAD76265.jpeg
36DCCBF2-7ED5-41D8-9E35-38BC11132373.jpeg
36DCCBF2-7ED5-41D8-9E35-38BC11132373.jpeg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
58B2B1CF-FE38-48BF-9E11-1EF826CE5368.jpeg
58B2B1CF-FE38-48BF-9E11-1EF826CE5368.jpeg (176.62 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
59021C13-0F34-4001-9F3A-4331B13FB060.jpeg
6CD6E654-2F30-4085-87F9-3B5F8BB18F4C.jpeg
ECEC7078-9A35-4486-8C8F-634A41D25F84.jpeg
ECEC7078-9A35-4486-8C8F-634A41D25F84.jpeg (167.78 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

watchpalooza wrote:This one is a bit unusual, and not my normal bag. It’s a project watch with a lot of potential upside. Appears to be from a watchmaker who passed away before he could finish it. Picked it up for $250, and hoping to be able to finish it as a project.

Details:

- Longines regulator pocket watch movement from 1904
- Exhibition back
- Custom case

A52E0CDE-50E1-4DE2-B2FB-DBFECAD76265.jpeg
36DCCBF2-7ED5-41D8-9E35-38BC11132373.jpeg
58B2B1CF-FE38-48BF-9E11-1EF826CE5368.jpeg
59021C13-0F34-4001-9F3A-4331B13FB060.jpeg
6CD6E654-2F30-4085-87F9-3B5F8BB18F4C.jpeg
ECEC7078-9A35-4486-8C8F-634A41D25F84.jpeg
Wowzers

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well I'm kind of stupid. But first purchase of 2020 so yay?

I just ordered a used Sinn 556i even though I literally own a 556A lol. This hobby can do crazy things to me. Basically I found an older 556i on the older style h link bracelet before they switched to hex screws and before they switched to the sw200. It's reallyyyyy dirty looking from the pictures and has scratches all over, but to be honest buying an entire 556 on the bracelet just for the bracelet makes more sense than buying a bracelet on its own as dumb as it sounds.

My plan is to go to town cleaning this guy when it arrives because I oddly enjoy finding neglected watches and cleaning them up again, I just hope this one isn't too far gone. All in it theoretically cost about $645 USD I think. And it has full box, papers and every link. Stay tuned lol

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Well I'm kind of stupid. But first purchase of 2020 so yay?

I just ordered a used Sinn 556i even though I literally own a 556A lol. This hobby can do crazy things to me. Basically I found an older 556i on the older style h link bracelet before they switched to hex screws and before they switched to the sw200. It's reallyyyyy dirty looking from the pictures and has scratches all over, but to be honest buying an entire 556 on the bracelet just for the bracelet makes more sense than buying a bracelet on its own as dumb as it sounds.

My plan is to go to town cleaning this guy when it arrives because I oddly enjoy finding neglected watches and cleaning them up again, I just hope this one isn't too far gone. All in it theoretically cost about $645 USD I think. And it has full box, papers and every link. Stay tuned lol

Not stupid at all. I also enjoy cleaning up neglected watches (and everything else) and giving them a new life. I think that objects and tools are ‘happiest’ when they are able to do their intended job. Being able to facilitate that happiness is something that I deeply enjoy.

I hope that it works out and that you are able to recover a fair amount of your bracelet investment. Those are some expensive bracelets, but I bet they are great coming from Sinn.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 am Well I'm kind of stupid. But first purchase of 2020 so yay?

I'd love to have a 556i with an ETA and older style H-link bracelet. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Some neglected watches deserve caring hands...
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

watchpalooza wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am
Benzinger makes incredible watches, I would love to have one someday (and I'll settle for a skeletonized watch made by Berlin watchmaker Shlain). I find it a privilege to have a guilloche dial made by him.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Invicta 1953 posted in the deals thread is on the way. EMAIL15 coupon brought it down to $76.49.

I need another NH35 like I need a hole in the head, but I am liking the vintage styling, the 40mm size, the no date and as the screencap below shows, no "Invicta" branding on the side of the case. That'll make it a lot easier to mod if/when the time comes!

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
kinglee
MoT Member

Post by kinglee »

Showed up yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body!
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

kinglee wrote:Showed up yesterday.

What a beauty! Congrats!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Conchita Turtle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 am
watchpalooza wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am
Benzinger makes incredible watches, I would love to have one someday (and I'll settle for a skeletonized watch made by Berlin watchmaker Shlain). I find it a privilege to have a guilloche dial made by him.
I am hoping it is as described....will see!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

ManOnTime wrote:The Invicta 1953 posted in the deals thread is on the way. EMAIL15 coupon brought it down to $76.49.

I need another NH35 like I need a hole in the head, but I am liking the vintage styling, the 40mm size, the no date and as the screencap below shows, no "Invicta" branding on the side of the case. That'll make it a lot easier to mod if/when the time comes!

You may want to contact ShopHQ to see if they will adjust your price to the SAVE20 code. It would knock off an extra 5%. Might not be worth it for a few bucks though.

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am The Invicta 1953 posted in the deals thread is on the way. EMAIL15 coupon brought it down to $76.49.

Are mod parts for this model pretty easy to find? I was thinking of getting an 8926 to mod but if the 8926 parts work with this model, I may just get this one.