We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Diver talk (Squale vs. Oris)

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Boourns
MoT Member

Diver talk (Squale vs. Oris)

Post by Boourns »

I have a Squale 1521 matte blue and I love it. But as most of you with an interest in this hobby know, the little voice in your head always wonders "maybe I'll like this other watch better." I am particularly interested in the 40mm version of the Oris with the retro style numbers:

[img]https://www.oris.ch/data/21184_01%20733 ... ontale.png[/img]

If I parted with the Squale I could get an Oris. To that end, has anyone owned a a 50 Atmos and a Oris 65? They are pretty similar -- one with a 2824-2 and the other an SW200. Is the Oris worth giving up the Squale (and adding a few hundred bucks)? Anything else in a similar price range worth considering? I also really love the look of the Longines Legend Diver, but that is another step up financially.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Re: Diver talk (Squale vs. Oris)

Post by Bbrou33 »

You and I have very similar tastes. I just purchased my 1521 Matte Blue and love it! But at the same time, have had my eye on the exact same Oris. I think the 1521 will hold me over (for now).
I've also been really into the Legend Diver. Really love the look of that watch!

Good luck with your decisions. Following this thread to see other responses
Insta me: bbrou33
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

I've owned a couple Oris Divers 65s. Great watches. They wear much differently than any other diver I've ever owned due to the thickness and profile. I haven't owned the blue one, but they are well made, good looking watches. Let me know if you have any questions. I think I've owned three of them at one point or another...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

atdegs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm I've owned a couple Oris Divers 65s. Great watches. They wear much differently than any other diver I've ever owned due to the thickness and profile. I haven't owned the blue one, but they are well made, good looking watches. Let me know if you have any questions. I think I've owned three of them at one point or another...
Do you have any experience with a Squale that you're able to compare the two? Any other divers you really enjoyed in the $500 to $1200 range?
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

Boourns wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm
atdegs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm I've owned a couple Oris Divers 65s. Great watches. They wear much differently than any other diver I've ever owned due to the thickness and profile. I haven't owned the blue one, but they are well made, good looking watches. Let me know if you have any questions. I think I've owned three of them at one point or another...
Do you have any experience with a Squale that you're able to compare the two? Any other divers you really enjoyed in the $500 to $1200 range?
I've never owned a Squale, but I've always liked the brand. One of the few diver brands that has some heritage behind it and is still doing their own unique stuff. In the $500-1200 range I would probably recommend the Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba (there are a couple models that are all pretty nice), something vintage (like the Pan Europ I'm selling ;) ), the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, or a Rado Captain Cook. I've owned all of those and would recommend any of them. Keep in mind the Rado is beautiful, but wears fairly small at 37mm.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

I own a Squale 1545 30 Atmos (Sub homage, but at 42mm, which fits my larger wrist better than a 40mm). I love this watch and am really impressed by the quality, although I find myself wishing I had bought a 1521 since it wouldn't be an homage watch.

I had my eye on an Oris 65 diver with a green dial. I discovered that a local jeweler is an Oris AD so I went to check them out. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I wasn't really blown away by the Oris when I was handling it. It didn't seem like it was any better than my Squale or my Ball watches. Although I had previously convinced myself that I just had to have an Oris in my collection, I've since cooled on them. One of these days I'll get back to that jeweler and try them again, perhaps now that my expectations are significantly lower.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... c15290.jpg[/IMG]
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Ran across this today. Apparently the Le Jour brand has been resurrected. One of the two models they sell is a vintage type diver. ETA 2824, 40mm, sapphire.

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1522/ ... 1547612473[/img]
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Boourns wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 am Ran across this today. Apparently the Le Jour brand has been resurrected. One of the two models they sell is a vintage type diver. ETA 2824, 40mm, sapphire.

Those were discounted to $680 when Bernhardt first introduced them.
Might be a good wait and see if he offers another sale on those.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13&p=470&hilit=jour#p470
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Boourns wrote:Ran across this today. Apparently the Le Jour brand has been resurrected. One of the two models they sell is a vintage type diver. ETA 2824, 40mm, sapphire.

I was very interested in those when I found out about them. However when they where released and real world pics etc showed up I was happy i didn't buy.

To the OP subject, I own the 20 atmos and 60 atmos and I've been tempted by 50. I also own the 40mm Oris 65 in black. I've also briefly owned the light blue one in the OP as well. I would say just pick the one you like the look of best. They are all very different watches in looks, design, etc.

I'll add that the light blue Oris did nothing for me. Appeared too washed out. I really like the black or dark blue much better.

Of course the WIS answer is buy try them all. [emoji6]

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am To the OP subject, I own the 20 atmos and 60 atmos and I've been tempted by 50. I also own the 40mm Oris 65 in black. I've also briefly owned the light blue one in the OP as well. I would say just pick the one you like the look of best. They are all very different watches in looks, design, etc.
Quality wise does one stand out?
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Boourns wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 am
mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am To the OP subject, I own the 20 atmos and 60 atmos and I've been tempted by 50. I also own the 40mm Oris 65 in black. I've also briefly owned the light blue one in the OP as well. I would say just pick the one you like the look of best. They are all very different watches in looks, design, etc.
I would say the 50 atmos is a bit better then the 20 atmos and the Oris is a bit better then the 50 atmos.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am
I would say the 50 atmos is a bit better then the 20 atmos and the Oris is a bit better then the 50 atmos.
Are there specific quality details you notice that separate them (e.g., crown threading, bezel action, lume, etc)?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

FTE wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm
mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am

Are there specific quality details you notice that separate them (e.g., crown threading, bezel action, lume, etc)?
Lume is about the same on all them (not that good) with the Oris being slightly the best (yet still not that good). Other then that I can only really say the overall "feel" is better in the order I posted. From the case to bezel to bracelets. The change from aluminum to ceramic was a huge improvement for the 20 atmos. I owned 2 of the previous gens and the ceramic "feels" and looks much better. Crown action is better on the Oris then all Squales I have owned. The bracelet of the Oris is WAY better then the Squale 20 atmos.

All of that is my opinion of course. As I mentioned before they are all great watches for what they are and different enough to justify owning them all at the same time. Otherwise just buy the one you like the look of best. Like many around here I've owned way more watches then I'd care to count (or admit) and as many know you just have to get a feel for a watch. It either clicks for you or it doesn't. I wanted the 60 atmos for a long time and when I finally got it I was very happy I finally did. That said I would say the 40mm Oris 65 still the better watch however if someone forced me to choose between them I'd have a tough time doing so. They are both great and both VERY different then each other.