We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Univeral Geneve Crystal Adhesion

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Univeral Geneve Crystal Adhesion

Post by sistem_32 »

As you may have seen, I posted a while back on the "What have you got in the mail" thread that I had purchased a vintage Univeral Geneve. Well, unfortunately I've discovered a problem. The adhesive holding in the crystal has entirely failed, allowing the crystal to simply fall out of the case. I have some horological chops, so I don't doubt that it's an issue I can fix myself. However, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know the first thing about adhesives. I was hoping you might be able to help me--I need an adhesive to bond the acrylic crystal to the gold-plated case without harming either one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also asked over on the "other place," so we'll see what comes of it.

Here's a picture, if it's any help at all:
Front.jpg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Univeral Geneve Crystal Adhesion

Post by TheJohnP »

Did you ask in the watch makers thread?
The group there are very responsive and knowledgeable
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 pm Did you ask in the watch makers thread?
The group there are very responsive and knowledgeable
Yes I did; perusing some of the other threads there I was impressed by those very qualities.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Esslinger has a few different epoxies. Here it what I use:

https://www.esslinger.com/gs-crystal-hy ... stal-glue/
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

http://www.ofrei.com/page382.html

I think most serious watchmakers use the UV activated stuff, but there are other options. Just make sure you get something designed for acrylic, or it could cloud it up.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

FTE wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 am Esslinger has a few different epoxies. Here it what I use:

https://www.esslinger.com/gs-crystal-hy ... stal-glue/

This is what I've used in the past as well, and I've been very happy with it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Thanks a lot for the input! I'll order a tube of the stuff and post an update after my attempt.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

sistem_32 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 pm Thanks a lot for the input! I'll order a tube of the stuff and post an update after my attempt.
Some advice, go thin / light on the application and remove any excess before you put the crystal in place.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

sistem_32 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 pm Thanks a lot for the input! I'll order a tube of the stuff and post an update after my attempt.
Some advice, go thin / light on the application and remove any excess before you put the crystal in place.
Click Icon To Contact Me

sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

I promised an update and here it is. Things haven't worked out quite how I expected. Last weekend I finally got around to taking the back off the watch and I quickly found that, because the movement spacer ring appears to be permanently attached, the only way to remove the movement is through the front of the watch. Obviously, then, permanently attaching the crystal is the last thing I want to do. Interestingly, I could have avoided the entire adhesive wild goose chase if I had listened to the advice of "Vicc" of Watch Central, who replied to my post over on Watchuseek. He suggested I use a crystal press, like this one, to replace the crystal with one of a larger diameter. He decided mine looks like a Sternkreuz M. I've decided to try using this inexpensive crystal lift, despite his warning that a lift won't work on a crystal without a "wall," whatever that means. I received the lift and some calipers to measure the aperature of the watch today, so now I just have to order the appropriately sized crystal and see if the lift works. Stay tuned for part three.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that the Sternkreuz M I ordered is far too domed for my purposes. The good news is that it is therefore sacrificial and can be subjected to any sort of otherwise inhumane experiment for the greater good (feel free to put in requests). First, I tried squeezing it as hard as possible in the crystal lift, which resulted in some chipping and deformation where the claws gripped it but didn't seem to cause any structural damage. It would still fit in a watch fine. It seemed to be compressed by about 0.5mm. Then I tried squeezing it in the press. Rather surprisingly, it simply flattened out. I'm not sure what it would do if it were in a watch case though, as it wouldn't be able to expand its circumference like it was when I tested it. With this newfound knowledge I shall order a slightly smaller Sternkreuz N and try again next week. Stay tuned for the next installment in the hit drama "Defying the Impossible: Taking Two Months to Change a Crystal."