We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Massdrop Mystery Box

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Massdrop Mystery Box

Post by TheJohnP »

Figured a separate thread might be good to discuss the Massdrop Watch Mystery Box

Were you able to place an order?
What tier did you choose?
Update us later on what you got.

I was going to jump on the $150 tier, but that and $250 sold out when I checked. So went ahead and got one each of the $100 and $65 tiers.

Not holding out hope that I'll get one of the high dollar options, but figure I won't lose any money if I end up flipping something I don't like.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Massdrop Mystery Box

Post by Boourns »

I thought about it too long. Was going to put the trigger at $100. Interested to see what everyone gets!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
joelf15
MoT Member

Post by joelf15 »

I just managed to get the 150, weird it actually was 139 on checkout. Im not counting on anything great either. Mostly I'll be flipping it, fingers crossed.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Was going to do the $65 but missed out, of course. Oh well.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I was busy and wasn't able to stop and check out this deal. But I just looked at it now and I'm intrigued. I definitely would have tried it at the highest price range available. Hopefully they'll do this again at some point. Does anyone know if Massdrop has done this before? Honestly I can't really wrap my head around how Massdrop could possibly make money on this one.

For people like me that weren't familiar with the deal and didn't get a chance to participate, I'm dropping a link below even though the deal is now expired.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-watch-mystery-box

From Massdrop --
The way it works is simple: we’ve compiled a collection of watches from brands around the world and put them into four different tiers. Each tier is priced differently, depending on the price-point of the watches within it. Tiers range from $65 on the low end to $250 on the high end. No matter what you choose, you’ll get a quality timepiece—but of course, within each tier are some true standouts for those lucky enough to land one.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:18 pm I was busy and wasn't able to stop and check out this deal. But I just looked at it now and I'm intrigued. I definitely would have tried it at the highest price range available. Hopefully they'll do this again at some point. Does anyone know if Massdrop has done this before? Honestly I can't really wrap my head around how Massdrop could possibly make money on this one.

For people like me that weren't familiar with the deal and didn't get a chance to participate, I'm dropping a link below even though the deal is now expired.

From Massdrop --
The way it works is simple: we’ve compiled a collection of watches from brands around the world and put them into four different tiers. Each tier is priced differently, depending on the price-point of the watches within it. Tiers range from $65 on the low end to $250 on the high end. No matter what you choose, you’ll get a quality timepiece—but of course, within each tier are some true standouts for those lucky enough to land one.
Did you look at the spreadsheets? All of these watches are watches Massdrop has had drops for in the past. I wonder if most of these are not Massdrop refurbished customer returns. The Massdrop model for sales is to place an order based on those who have pre-paid on the drop, so there wouldn't normally be watches left over for them to sell at a later date. Where else would all of these different watches come from? Why would they only be watches Massdrop has sold in the past if they were coming from vendors?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:18 pm I was busy and wasn't able to stop and check out this deal. But I just looked at it now and I'm intrigued. I definitely would have tried it at the highest price range available. Hopefully they'll do this again at some point. Does anyone know if Massdrop has done this before? Honestly I can't really wrap my head around how Massdrop could possibly make money on this one.

From Massdrop --
Did you look at the spreadsheets? All of these watches are watches Massdrop has had drops for in the past. I wonder if most of these are not Massdrop refurbished customer returns. The Massdrop model for sales is to place an order based on those who have pre-paid on the drop, so there wouldn't normally be watches left over for them to sell at a later date. Where else would all of these different watches come from? Why would they only be watches Massdrop has sold in the past if they were coming from vendors?
Yea. Due to the nature of their sales model, this crossed my mind. Returns or cancellations maybe. I still wouldn't be entirely opposed to buying in but I would prefer to know if I was buying a brand new, fully functional watch or not. I understand clearing stock quickly at discounted prices but something about this doesn't add up to me. If this is normal stock, it looks like MassDrop is taking a loss on this or barely breaking even.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Massdrop Mystery Box

Post by watchpalooza »

I would say never bet against the house. Inventory appears to span years (some were drops in 2016, 2017, 2018), so it looks like just a surplus inventory clearance. Likely a combination of returns, refurbs, etc. It is probably cheaper and faster to get rid of them this way (plus the boost to traffic and interest) then the alternatives. The weighting of the tiers is quite clever, so I doubt they are losing much money.

At the $100 level the probabilities are:

39% Seiko, Spinnaker or Victorinox
31% Orient
16% Wenger, Citizen or Glycine
7% Air Blue, AV-8 or Triwa
7% Other
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
joelf15
MoT Member

Post by joelf15 »

Order shipped today! Got notification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Mine too!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Very curious to see how this turns out for you all.

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

No shipping notification yet, but not sure how they will send out the two boxes I ordered. Either together or separately.

Cautiously optimistic
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:45 am No shipping notification yet, but not sure how they will send out the two boxes I ordered. Either together or separately.

Cautiously optimistic
From the discussion on MD it looks like most are going out individually.
Click Icon To Contact Me

qrocks
MoT Member

Post by qrocks »

Looks like fun. I can't wait for the pictures!!!
Make time to take time.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I'll live vicariously through those of you who managed to get one or two. My clicking finger wasn't fast enough to score a $65 or $100 box. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody