As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Feedback on Armand Nicolet

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Blue
MoT Member

Feedback on Armand Nicolet

Post by Blue »

A recent deal on HUISABH has perked my curiosity. Does anyone have feedback on this brand?

How does it compare to the mid-tier Swiss brands like Hamilton, Tissot, Mido, Ball, Oris, etc? Any personal experience owning the brand or possibly dealing with service issues?
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.” ― Akira Kurosawa
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Feedback on Armand Nicolet

Post by watchpalooza »

I own one Armand Nicolet, the S05. First thing, they are HUGE watches. If you do not have at least an 8” wrist, I would advise caution. Second, the quality is quite good, but you pay a premium for it compared to other brands with comparable quality. I think they do not compare to Oris. They are comparable to Hamilto or Mido, but I personally would buy either before buying another AN. I think they are a bit better than Tissot. Just my $0.02.

Their OHM collection uses reclaimed vintage movements, but most of their newer models are modified ETA’s. AN’s are often deeply discounted, so it is difficult to get a read on true value.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience or feedback regarding the brand. I don't own any Armand Nicolet watches but I think that could easily change at some point. I think they make some great looking watches and I've been tempted by some of the discounts I've seen, particularly on Ashford. It seems to be one of those brands that has less presence in the U.S. than it does overseas. Let us know what you think if you decide to buy one. Below is a video review of the blue dial AN J09 that might give you a closer look at the quality.

Blue
MoT Member

Post by Blue »

Thanks guys, it’s the J09 that i’m specifically looking at, which is apparently a 41mm case, so I cannot imagine that it’s bigger than the Alpina I recently purchased.

Will review the video closer tonight, but so far i’m not getting a positive enough vibe to pursue at the current prices.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.” ― Akira Kurosawa
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

AN has been on my list, I think some of their models have quite unique design, and worth trying at deep discounts, such as Ashford. They have massive inventory in the past but not now. I like the J09 case shape, Ashford had them at about $800 if I remember correctly. I nearly grasped a silver one when on the fence, but quickly they were gone. For other colors, I couldn't stand the white date on a dark color face. I don't have any experience with the brand, just some ideas to share.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Blue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm Thanks guys, it’s the J09 that i’m specifically looking at, which is apparently a 41mm case, so I cannot imagine that it’s bigger than the Alpina I recently purchased.

Will review the video closer tonight, but so far i’m not getting a positive enough vibe to pursue at the current prices.
By the way, it looks like we share the similar taste, like the Alpina and the J09. :D