We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Post your mods here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: Post your mods here!

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 pm I love that Dagaz explorer!! It's perfect. Here is what I have been up to lately, mod wise at least.

The gilt dial is an Alpha case with an ETA 2824-2, random bracelet(Esslinger maybe?) and some wild ass hands from One Second Closer.

The second is just a dial swap into a SARB033. Far more difficult than I expected. The movement holders are screwed into the movement and the stock dial and chapter ring come out as one piece, and are attached to each other. A little patience with an exacto got them separated, and even more patience with dial dots got the chapter ring set and aligned.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Both of yours look great. That handset is crazy.....I've never seen it before. And I'm a sucker for a gilt dial. I would be a little more nervous about modding an ETA but might have to give it a shot some day. And I doubt I'll ever mod my SARB033 or 035 but I like seeing what other people do with them. I think this Seiko SARB037 Datejust mod below looks interesting. Not my watch or pic.

I was terrified of using an ETA since the keyless works are like a jenga tower on its last legs apparently. My solution was to leave the crown stem installed and cut it down in place. Then install the crown once the movement was in the case. Worked like a charm!

I will say, everything about modding an ETA is a PITA compared to Seiko.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:This thread has been quiet lately. These aren't all the mods that I own but they are the three Seiko mods that I wear the most. I'm looking forward to an upcoming Invicta 8926 mod and I've also been considering using one of Sporkboy's MOT full lume dials in a Vostok rather than a Seiko or 8926......can't decide.

I will say that the current design will work better in an 8926 than in a Vostok due to the larger chapter ring. This hides the indices more than I would like. I would need to scale the design down about 5% and then it would work well.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Below is a post from WUS user MacTruck on a mod thread. Given the ubiquity of Rolex Submariners, I think the gold link is a pretty cool, fun way to set his apart from everybody else's Sub.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I 18kt Gold toothed this mother. Been nicknamed the "Mike Tyson".

CigarCity
MoT Member

Post by CigarCity »

Stupid noob question here. Does anyone sell mod parts for 42mm Invictas with the nh35 movement? I see all the 8926 mods but none for the 42mm versions. Was in TJMaxx earlier and they had a blue Invicta on clearance for $64, but I just haven’t seen any mention of mods to anything but the 8926 models.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

CigarCity wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:55 pm Stupid noob question here. Does anyone sell mod parts for 42mm Invictas with the nh35 movement? I see all the 8926 mods but none for the 42mm versions. Was in TJMaxx earlier and they had a blue Invicta on clearance for $64, but I just haven’t seen any mention of mods to anything but the 8926 models.
It's surprising to me that they don't but unfortunately I've never seen any. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would prefer to have the 42mm case. Some company could just get started with just producing dials that are a bit larger than the standard 28.5mm size and maybe different color bezel inserts of the correct size. That would be enough to get started. Hands and crystals already exist.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:
CigarCity wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:55 pm Stupid noob question here. Does anyone sell mod parts for 42mm Invictas with the nh35 movement? I see all the 8926 mods but none for the 42mm versions. Was in TJMaxx earlier and they had a blue Invicta on clearance for $64, but I just haven’t seen any mention of mods to anything but the 8926 models.
It's surprising to me that they don't but unfortunately I've never seen any. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would prefer to have the 42mm case. Some company could just get started with just producing dials that are a bit larger than the standard 28.5mm size and maybe different color bezel inserts of the correct size. That would be enough to get started. Hands and crystals already exist.
I agree there is a market there, but there is just soooo much overlap for the 8926. Dials fit 8926, SKX, turtle and many others. Bezel inserts fit all Sub homages. Honestly, there isn't much aftermarket support for the 8926, it just benefits from accepting Seiko mod parts. For example, the only aftermarket bezel you can buy for an 8926 is from Dave Murphy, and he custom tailors it to your version of 8926(there are weird differences even within the 8926 family).

TayTay
MoT Member

Post by TayTay »

Hi again. Btw, I swapped in a working movement and inspected the old movement more closely. Looks like the minute hand pinion was bent/cracked and binding against the hour hand wheel which fits over top of it. I don't think I ever applied enough force or pressure to do this damage, so it might have come that way when I bought it. Friggin ebay! lol. Way too late for me to raise any kind of official complaint, so guess just a lesson learned or something. I'll try to upload some pics of this new movement and couple other little mods soon too.
TayTay wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 am Gah! I did something to the movement and now it will only tick for a minute or so and then stops. Adjusting the time and/or a bit of a shake gets it going again briefly and then it slows to a stop. My best guess is that I either pressed on the balance wheel by accident or did some damage to seconds hand gear area (I had lined the sec hand up wrong and then pressed it down into the gap between post it attaches to and dial). Welp, probably going to replace the Sea-Gull movement eventually. :(

Anyway, I put it all back together again after trying to save it, so here are some pics. Even though this has shaped up to be a big FAIL, maybe someone will just like to look at it or find a way to avoid a similar outcome themselves.

Oh, btw, ebay case and movement, Ofrei hands and dial. Picked case since is smaller than many others at 42mm, which unfortunately made dial options nearly non-existent via ebay. Ofrei is one of the rare places that offer 37mm or smaller dials for ETA6798 type movement. So many noobie issues with this build haha.
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

Noob here so pardon the seemingly basic questions. I finally got my green dial 5KX from the recent Drop deal and am thinking about changing the bezel to deep sea bezel and the bezel insert to the green ceramic sub bezel insert. Saw a few YouTube tutorials and seemed easy enough to try. Question, have you guys had any experience using DLW Watches parts? I’ve been following them on IG and they seem to make great products. Any other source for green sub ceramic bezel insert?

I’ve never modded my watch so how harder will it be if I also change the crystal in addition to changing the bezel and bezel insert?

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

EA-Sports wrote:Noob here so pardon the seemingly basic questions. I finally got my green dial 5KX from the recent Drop deal and am thinking about changing the bezel to deep sea bezel and the bezel insert to the green ceramic sub bezel insert. Saw a few YouTube tutorials and seemed easy enough to try. Question, have you guys had any experience using DLW Watches parts? I’ve been following them on IG and they seem to make great products. Any other source for green sub ceramic bezel insert?

I’ve never modded my watch so how harder will it be if I also change the crystal in addition to changing the bezel and bezel insert?

Thanks all.

I have used several DLW bezels, inserts and I think a few crowns. Top notch parts that have always fit perfectly.

As far as crystals go, I am assuming you are going with the bezel insert that calls for a domed sapphire correct?(some inserts are flat to go with stock crystals and some are curved to match the angle of the dome). If so, the crystal times CT037CIS crystal fits seamlessly with the DLW insert.
https://usa.crystaltimes.net/shop/fast- ... al-skx007/

Crystals are not hard to swap, but you do need a press. And some advice on the bezel change.
-Tape up the watch case in the areas where you plan to pry off the old bezel to help protect the case.
-Keep the rubber gasket from your old bezel just in case the new one doesn't come with one.
-ALWAYS install the bezel on the watch before you install the insert for 2 reasons. 1- it is easier to perfectly align it when it's installed and 2- you won't shatter your brand new ceramic insert(ask me how I know!)

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just post them here, or PM me.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Dub Rubb on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I happen to be wearing an SKX with a DLW ceramic insert and the CT037CIS crystal I mentioned (with clear AR).

Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

I don't quite consider these mods.. but fitting a bit better bracelets to great watches.

Elevated Scout on Lorus Steel, Expedition Field Military on Casio Edifice Steel and Easy Reader on Seiko Titanium

ImageRekindling with Steel by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageElevated Scout by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageField Military by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Southern Bamboo

Post by Southern Bamboo »

** Pic Heavy **

Here's a couple of my modded Duros.
chrome_Xbrh35SoHf.png
chrome_xwVZMfkrJB.png
chrome_Hqv2ltBdXd.png
chrome_JiDhiXNOlf.png
and my two Amphibias.
chrome_o5BuuPIumV.png
chrome_DupZNSLETe.png
and my BSH Mariana build.
chrome_bpnuYRMROV.png
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Question for you modders: do you all take on builds/mods for other people?

I’m looking to mod my 8926 to honor my children (2 year old daughter and expecting a son in May), but I don’t have the equipment or expertise to get it done. I’d love to have someone complete the build for me and have it in time to wear by the due date.

Couple of questions:
- do you have recommendations for folks?
- what is a reasonable expectation on price for time/labor?
- what is a reasonable expectation on turnaround time?
- any other things I’m missing to consider?

Thanks to any/all in advance!

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have done one commission before, but it was a special case as I love to create but hate deadlines. I also retained nearly complete creative freedom. I am not going to make a habit out of it though, because I am behind enough on planned mods and dial creation goals.

I don’t know what people charge for this kind of thing.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Rabirnie wrote:Question for you modders: do you all take on builds/mods for other people?

I’m looking to mod my 8926 to honor my children (2 year old daughter and expecting a son in May), but I don’t have the equipment or expertise to get it done. I’d love to have someone complete the build for me and have it in time to wear by the due date.

Couple of questions:
- do you have recommendations for folks?
- what is a reasonable expectation on price for time/labor?
- what is a reasonable expectation on turnaround time?
- any other things I’m missing to consider?

Thanks to any/all in advance!

Unfortunately, I usually muck something up on every mod I do, so I wouldn't feel comfortable working on someone else's watch. Unless it was something that you could just chalk up to a loss lol.

Also, it depends on the level of modifications needed. I will say that an 8926 is the perfect watch to attempt your first mods on. You can get almost all the tools you need for a dial/bezel/hand swap for like $25-$30. However better tools are nicer and recommended if you planned on doing more mods.

So what type of mod are you thinking? I am gaining confidence in 8926s as I have now done 5, but not sure I am quite there yet.