As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Info about the Seiko SKX discontinuation and its replacement?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'm hoping someone can point me to some information about the Seiko SKX being discontinued. Or any information about the new Seiko 5s that are supposed to replace it? I watched a video on Youtube last week about the replacement for the SKX that actually showed some renders of the new watches. It showed multiple versions of what looked like the SKX but they had a redesigned Seiko 5 logo on it. But the video has since been removed and the guy who made it thinks that Seiko must have asked Youtube to take the video down. He said that he found all the new SKX information on a Facebook page called Seiko Passion. I don't have Facebook so I couldn't get on the site. I've also scrolled through pages and pages of threads discussing this on other forums but nobody in the discussion supplied any real evidence of the SKX's demise or it's replacement. These rumors of the Seiko SKX being discontinued come up every 6 months at least but this is the first time there seems to actually be something to it. We know from the past that Seiko as a business is fairly poor at marketing and communicating so I don't expect to see much from them. So does anybody have any links or images that can provide information about all of this? Any help would be appreciated.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Info about the Seiko SKX discontinuation and its replacement?

Post by watchpalooza »

To my knowledge the SKX is still not being discontinued. This is a rumour which has been around since 2014, but nothing official from Seiko. Seiko does use the same equipment to make newer models abd they regularly reconfigure to produce batches of one type or another. This means they might not produce a new batch of SKXs fir a time while volumes of other models are turned out, but there is no clear indication that the line is being discontinued. Hope that helps.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I forgot to mention, assuming the pictures of the new Seiko 5s are still up on the Seiko Passion Facebook page, could somebody with access to that page please steal some of the images from over there and drop them here in this thread?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1780333925565991/
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 am I forgot to mention, assuming the pictures of the new Seiko 5s are still up on the Seiko Passion Facebook page, could somebody with access to that page please steal some of the images from over there and drop them here in this thread?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1780333925565991/
I requested in...will post them here if possible once I have access.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Edit (FTE): Copyrighted information removed.

This one? I got it from other source but it’s blurry
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

synequano wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:32 pm Edit (FTE): Copyrighted content removed.

This one? I got it from other source but it’s blurry
Yes thank you! I'm usually pretty good at google but I have been unable to find this anywhere. If possible, would you be able to link to where you saw this or even just tell me where? Just a reminder it's not against any rules here to link to other sites or forums, praise be.🙏 Any other info you have would be appreciated as well.
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

I know another thread, in a galaxy far, far away, that has a plethora of information. Some of the sources are ADs and people who have insider knowledge or close to those who understand the inner workings of Seiko.

However, the information about the new SKX (as it's being called) is still under an embargo. Individuals on WUS, Instagram and YouTube have been receiving emails directly from Seiko to remove images, like the one above.

Changes I can see or are rumoured are:

10atm from 20atm
Clear caseback, hence the 10 ATM
Upgraded to 4R movement with hacking and handwinding
Sunburst dials
A black PVD(?) coated model
Same SKX case
Now has Seiko 5 designation
New Seiko 5 logo
Still has a screwdown crown.

I cannot confirm these and I have no special knowledge.

Perhaps the Turtle and mini-Turtle will be the SKX replacement. Who knows?

Apparently they have been discontinued, but production has not ceased or they have parts stockpiled. Similar to how The SARB033/35 and the green Alpina have been available online, such as on Amazon.

I wonder how popular the Crystal Times SKX homage case will become since it's 20atm rated and affordable?

Also, depending on gaskets, I wonder if a regular SKX caseback would increase the WR?

Personally, I would have just upgraded the movement and added a signed crown and then calles it a day. Of course better QC on the dial and chapter rings too. I like the option of a black model too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just a nip and tuck.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Got into the FB group. FB removed the original photo at request of Seiko, but the same grainy one posted above has been added in one of the comments. Speculation is that the new 5’s will be released in August, but no confirmation.

While doing some further research, I was directed to Seiyajapan’s blog by a knowledgeable user’s comment on an article at Worn and Wound...from what I find this appears to be the most definitive and reliable online source for info about Seiko models being retired. The most recent post there announces the retirment of the SBGX205 and SBGX209. The previous one from March announced retirement of the SDC031 and SBDC033 models.

I would suggest monitoring the blog for announcements.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news?page=1
Click Icon To Contact Me

norsairius
MoT Member

Post by norsairius »

These look good so far, but 10bar water resistance seems weird for something that should replace the venerable SKX... though I’m guessing the SKX might be cannibalizing sales of other watches in the Prospex line so Seiko must be intentionally downgrading it. Kind of a shame, if you ask me. This is all assuming the rumors of the end of the SKX are actually true this time.

Better get an SKX then now if you haven’t! Seems their value may go up a bit if these are truly going to replace then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

norsairius wrote:These look good so far, but 10bar water resistance seems weird for something that should replace the venerable SKX... though I’m guessing the SKX might be cannibalizing sales of other watches in the Prospex line so Seiko must be intentionally downgrading it. Kind of a shame, if you ask me. This is all assuming the rumors of the end of the SKX are actually true this time.

Better get an SKX then now if you haven’t! Seems their value may go up a bit if these are truly going to replace then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't Seiko on a mission to downgrade specs while raising prices?

It appears with their price rises and more expensive releases, including their limited editions, Seikos has aspirations of moving up-market.

I guess they need to keep Seiko 5 as entry level affordables and for emerging markets.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

How did it come about that this release-pending 5 Sport watch is a replacement for the SKX? With all the models they produce I suspect one has nothing to do with the other. Perhaps they are simply discontinuing the SKX and just have a new 5 in the pipeline.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Agree there is no correlation (officially) yet...some new models appear to be coming out, and the existing models may or may not be discontinued. Anything else is pure speculation at this point. It should also be noted tjat such speculation benefits Seiko as frar of certain models being discontinued drives up prices and creates a spike in demand for existing inventory before the next production cycle. Nothing new here.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Techme wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 am I know another thread, in a galaxy far, far away, that has a plethora of information. Some of the sources are ADs and people who have insider knowledge or close to those who understand the inner workings of Seiko.

However, the information about the new SKX (as it's being called) is still under an embargo. Individuals on WUS, Instagram and YouTube have been receiving emails directly from Seiko to remove images, like the one above.

Changes I can see or are rumoured are:

10atm from 20atm
Clear caseback, hence the 10 ATM
Upgraded to 4R movement with hacking and handwinding
Sunburst dials
A black PVD(?) coated model
Same SKX case
Now has Seiko 5 designation
New Seiko 5 logo
Still has a screwdown crown.

I cannot confirm these and I have no special knowledge.

Perhaps the Turtle and mini-Turtle will be the SKX replacement. Who knows?

Apparently they have been discontinued, but production has not ceased or they have parts stockpiled. Similar to how The SARB033/35 and the green Alpina have been available online, such as on Amazon.

I wonder how popular the Crystal Times SKX homage case will become since it's 20atm rated and affordable?

Also, depending on gaskets, I wonder if a regular SKX caseback would increase the WR?

Personally, I would have just upgraded the movement and added a signed crown and then calles it a day. Of course better QC on the dial and chapter rings too. I like the option of a black model too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just a nip and tuck.
Cool thanks for the info. Even if its all speculation I'm happy to be know what the consensus of the speculation is. It's so crazy to me that Seiko actually cares about info, images, or speculation being up on the internet. This is the company that has never put any real effort into public relations. They don't respond to questions. They never make any announcements. They typically don't listen to their consumers. Zero outreach. They just let people guess and speculate and then just release new stuff when they're ready. Now all of a sudden they care about these images being up on forums and IG. Very weird to me. Also, I had no idea the Crystal Times SKX case existed. As far as the SARBs go, I'm still not 100% sure they are being discontinued. Prices and availability have stayed stable and I watched a video a while back from Long Island Watch that showed production dates on SARBs well after the supposed discontinuation.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

FTE wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:57 am Got into the FB group. FB removed the original photo at request of Seiko, but the same grainy one posted above has been added in one of the comments. Speculation is that the new 5’s will be released in August, but no confirmation.

While doing some further research, I was directed to Seiyajapan’s blog by a knowledgeable user’s comment on an article at Worn and Wound...from what I find this appears to be the most definitive and reliable online source for info about Seiko models being retired. The most recent post there announces the retirment of the SBGX205 and SBGX209. The previous one from March announced retirement of the SDC031 and SBDC033 models.

I would suggest monitoring the blog for announcements.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news?page=1
Wow, they'll let anyone in that group, huh?!?! :lol: Good to know about SeiyaJapan. I'll have to check out their blog more often.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 am
Wow, they'll let anyone in that group, huh?!?! :lol: Good to know about SeiyaJapan. I'll have to check out their blog more often.
Yeah, they've really hit the skids...next will be animals. :)
Click Icon To Contact Me