We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Glove Box Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Glove Box Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote:I've read that some analog quartz movements are basically "off" when the crown is pulled, which preserves the battery. I never thought of doing this to a watch in my collection, but maybe it's a good idea for watches that get little wrist time. It would make sense for a glove box watch, anyhow.
That is a really good point. Watches will ship with a crown keeper and I have pulled the crown on watches going into storage, but completely forgot about it for this application. There will be normal battery drain that happens with age, but it could easily go over 10 years. I did this to a watch maybe 12 years ago, pushed the crown back in and it was just fine.

Glovebox temp fluctuations would likely affect battery life.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have been thinking about this too much.
With regard to watches, I see several approaches.
- A cheap failsafe option that is better than nothing. This is meant to get you through the day, but probably won’t be appropriate in all situations.
- 2-3 carefully selected watches that would cover you in all situations.
- 1 GADA watch with a couple of strap options and quick-change springbars or appropriate strap changing tools.
A failsafe could be added to either of the last two options.

I am most comfortable with a digital or a quartz watch since they should be able to handle the temperature and humidity fluctuations better than a mechanical.

To me this is in the ultra affordable price range for a ‘set’ of glovebox watches and I wouldn’t want more than $50 or so tied up in these. Everyone is going to differ here, but I don’t think that expensive watches belong here.

I have more topics that I would like to discuss, but we can start with our thoughts on the above.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I like the challenge you have posed.

Casting a few lines here and there, the first candidate I found is a 38mm x 9mm (or 36mm x 7mm?) quartz Casio Core MTP1183E-7A. Available from AreaTrend on eBay here for $24 incl. shipping, which appears to be the going price in eBay. Also available from Rakuten here where APPAREL20 currently takes it under $20. Stainless steel case, mineral crystal, leather strap, 30m WR. (I took the spec.s from the Amazon listing here -- they are a little different than the AreaTrend spec.s.)

The most flattering photo I found was at RedDeer (here):

UPDATE: I had some old Rakuten points and the APPAREL20 promo is still going, so I ordered one. I will review it when it arrives.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed May 29, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote:I like the challenge you have posed.

Casting a few lines here and there, the first candidate I found is a 38mm x 9mm (or 36mm x 7mm?) quartz Casio Core MTP1183E-7A. Available from AreaTrend on eBay here for $24 incl. shipping, which appears to be the going price in eBay. Also available from Rakuten here where APPAREL20 currently takes it under $20. Stainless steel case, mineral crystal, leather strap, 30m WR. (I took the spec.s from the Amazon listing here -- they are a little different than the AreaTrend spec.s.)

The most flattering photo I found was at RedDeer (here):
[img]https://www.reddeerwatches.com/media/ca ... _00_20.jpg[/img]

UPDATE: I had some old Rakuten points and the APPAREL20 promo is still going, so I ordered one. I will review it when it arrives.
I look forward to your thoughts on this one as it just may be the dressy counterpart to the Lorus Lumibrite. They are similar in size, stainless and hopefully they are similar in build quality. Applied indices at the price is nice.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The white Casio arrived today. AreaTrend included a pre-printed, postage paid adhesive return label in the box -- I like that. (UPDATE: I noticed some fine print on AreaTrend's site saying that they deduct $8 from your refund if you use their label.)

The stand/box is much nicer than I'm used to seeing with Casios. The crystal has a plastic protector. The watch measures 37.4mm x 9.3mm. 39.2 with crown. Lug width is 20mm. Lug-to-lug: 42mm. The faux aligator leather strap is stiff. The seconds hand hits all the marks. Update: it hits the marks for seconds 30-60 but it lands a little after the marks for seconds 1-30.

First photo with all its packaging (the manual is under the stand). I'll unwrap it after I'm sure the timekeeping is okay:

(Photo corrupted. TODO: re-upload -- the watch stand is that cool.)
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm The white Casio arrived today. AreaTrend included a pre-printed, postage paid adhesive return label in the box -- I like that.

The stand/box is much nicer than I'm used to seeing with Casios. The crystal has a plastic protector. The watch measures 37.4mm x 9.3mm. 39.2 with crown. Lug width is 20mm. Lug-to-lug: 42mm. The faux aligator leather strap is stiff. The seconds hand hits all the marks.

First photo with all its packaging (the manual is under the stand). I'll unwrap it after I'm sure the timekeeping is okay:

glove_box_casio_packaging.jpg
That watch looks too nice to keep in the car!

Keep it with the rest of your collection, and then buy another glove box watch :lol:
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

watch looks too nice to keep in the car!

Keep it with the rest of your collection, and then buy another glove box watch

---
Which will be too nice to keep hidden in the car; so you then buy another watch, which will be . . .
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

cel4145 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:03 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm The white Casio arrived today. AreaTrend included a pre-printed, postage paid adhesive return label in the box -- I like that.

The stand/box is much nicer than I'm used to seeing with Casios. The crystal has a plastic protector. The watch measures 37.4mm x 9.3mm. 39.2 with crown. Lug width is 20mm. Lug-to-lug: 42mm. The faux aligator leather strap is stiff. The seconds hand hits all the marks.

That watch looks too nice to keep in the car!

Keep it with the rest of your collection, and then buy another glove box watch :lol:
ikr? I'll post some photos tomorrow when I have good light. The finishing isn't perfect but it's pretty good. The dial seems to have faint bluish tint, making it a cool white. The hands are polished (and there is no lume) but I've had no trouble reading it indoors. The polished bezel top is a sharp ridge that rises ~0.5mm above the crystal.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the crown position. Looking at the side of the watch onto the crown, it looks off center, like it should be closer to the top of the watch. However, its lower position makes it easy to hook with a fingernail and pull out.

The snap-on back has a circular brush pattern.

My 20mm nato straps are too thick to fit behind the spring bars (our calipers say these natos are 1.1mm), and I haven't decided what to do about that, yet. Seems like glove box straps should use those toolless bolt-action quick release straps.

Update: I'm thinking a perlon strap would work well. My son let me try one of his C&B perlons and it threads the bars fine. I like this one from Crown & Buckle here.

Update 2: Here is a more detailed review with photos:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=762&p=20218#p20218

Wrist shot on a (too wide) 22mm Fossil nato:
(Photo corrupted, but it wasn't a great shot anyhow, lol.)
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed May 29, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

Glove box watch. Love it. Another excuse for a watch. So good!

Maybe an eco drive. They are just great quartz watches.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Let my Casio out of the glove box for a quick shot:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pdMCT4bv/PSX-20190511-163514.jpg [/img]

Photoshop Express Bueno filter
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Glove Box Watches (bug-out bag edition)

Post by BostonCharlie »

With tornado warnings around DFW, Texas, I organized things in case we ended up hiding under the stairs. Pressed on the watch question, I chose my tritium quartz on my wrist and my Timex ironman in my tech bag (along with HD backups, batteries, lamps, etc.). Sorry G-Shock. I wanted it to be you, but the persistent light on the Timex and its large display are killer features to me.

Added a photo and included a G because there's always room for another watch ;-)

Good luck to folks who find themselves under this storm.
bug_out_watches.jpg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote:With tornado warnings around DFW, Texas, I organized things in case we ended up hiding under the stairs. Pressed on the watch question, I chose my tritium quartz on my wrist and my Timex ironman in my tech bag (along with HD backups, batteries, lamps, etc.). Sorry G-Shock. I wanted it to be you, but the persistent light on the Timex and its large display are killer features to me.

Added a photo and included a G because there's always room for another watch ;-)

Good luck to folks who find themselves under this storm.
bug_out_watches.jpg
This reminds me that I need to repack my bug out bag. Solid choices there. That Tritium watch has a Rhonda movement, I think it has a long battery life as well, so it is a solid choice. Love the blue square on NATO.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP posted a deal on the Casio Edifice below and suggested it as a candidate for a glovebox watch.

While it certainly has a GADA vibe about it, I am not certain that a watch with an integrated bracelet would be a great choice here. My wrist size hasn’t varied wildly in 20 years or so, but I can imagine putting a watch in the glovebox only years down the road to find that I need it and my wrist size has increased.

Micro adjustments are fine, but if that isn’t enough then you don’t want to be resizing a bracelet in your car. At least I don’t. Perhaps one of those glidelock style clasps would work.

The above got me thinking, what would be the best strap/band/bracelet type for a glovebox watch be? It would need to handle temperature extremes and fluctuations and potential humidity.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Cross posting this glove box watch candidate from the deals thread (here). Casio quartz, 36mm x 6.7mm, stainless steel case and bracelet, mineral crystal. Using my calipers on a photo, I reckon that the lug width is 18mm. Model MTP1274D-7A

More views from this Amazon.ca listing (OOS)

Image from SkyWatches here ($29):

Or with black dial. Really dig this hand set and case. Model MTP1274D-1A
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Core-M ... h/47665973

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm ...

The above got me thinking, what would be the best strap/band/bracelet type for a glovebox watch be? It would need to handle temperature extremes and fluctuations and potential humidity.
Another reason for an adjustable strap is in case you lend it to somebody. On mine I settled on leather because I think it can serve equally well for either dress or casual. It helps remind me, too, that the watch's WR isn't that great :-) However, the heat would probably be hard on it. A perlon strap could do the job, too -- maybe better.