We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Glove Box Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Glove Box Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

You wake up one morning and your alarm didn't go off, your backup alarm didn't go off and your dog (furry alarm clock) didn't wake you. You are going to be late for work! You throw on some clean(ish) clothes, run to the bathroom (you remember the advice once given to you by a toothless sailor- flossing is for suckers- and follow it). You run out the door, get into the car and speed away. upon merging onto the freeway you realize that you don't even know how late you are, head bends towards wrist and...it is bare!!!

Panic turns to anger, which turns to rage and your recently paid off vehicle barrels towards oncoming traffic!

The above hypothetical deadly situation could have been avoided with a little bit of planning. Had there been a backup watch in the glove compartment, the panic would have turned into relief once it was realized that a timepiece was close at hand.

Share ideas, discuss, etc.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Glove Box Watches

Post by watchpalooza »

Great topic! Others have mentioned keeping a G-Shock or other low-cost digital in the glovebox, and I think that would be my choice also for a watch to be left in the car. For me personally, I would not leave a mechanical or automatic in the car.

One alternative to the "glovebox watch" could be the "work desk watch". If work is the typical destination, I would rather leave a watch there locked in my desk than in my car. Or, for the extreme prepper perhaps both, plus one buried along with medical supplies, water and rations in an undisclosed location.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I found myself worrying that a plastic crystal would quickly be ruined by the heat inside a car. Then I realized how much of my dashboard is plastic! Maybe [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] has some insight on the impact of extreme cold and heat on (car/watch) materials?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Most dashboard instruments are housed in acrylic...very similar to that used in acrylic watch crystals. Also headlight lenses are typically acrylic. Its a pretty durable and temperature resistant material.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Another possible use for a glove box watch: equipping a watchless friend -- kind of like having spare sun glasses in the car. Especially if you find yourselves on an unexpected mission that requires 'synchronizing watches.'
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I wouldn't assume extreme interior heat would be much of an issue for most quartz watches as like has been said, a lot of the materials are similar.

The only things off the top of my head is possible shortening of battery life as batteries don't like extreme heat or cold.

LCD sluggishness would be another annoyance with extreme cold, and I suppose there is potential for damage there. I think I'm going to purchase an F-91W and do some experiments.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:I wouldn't assume extreme interior heat would be much of an issue for most quartz watches as like has been said, a lot of the materials are similar.

The only things off the top of my head is possible shortening of battery life as batteries don't like extreme heat or cold.

LCD sluggishness would be another annoyance with extreme cold, and I suppose there is potential for damage there. I think I'm going to purchase an F-91W and do some experiments.
I was thinking that the f-91w would be a perfect ‘failsafe’ watch with the long battery life and very low cost. I am going to toss a spare one in my glove box and see how it does.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

"You wake up one morning and your alarm didn't go off, your backup alarm didn't go off and your dog (furry alarm clock) didn't wake you."

And you've turned into a giant insect.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 am Another possible use for a glove box watch: equipping a watchless friend -- kind of like having spare sun glasses in the car. Especially if you find yourselves on an unexpected mission that requires 'synchronizing watches.'
This made me laugh. If only I had a dime for every time THAT has happened.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 am I wouldn't assume extreme interior heat would be much of an issue for most quartz watches as like has been said, a lot of the materials are similar.

I'd volunteer to keep an F-91W in my glove box for hot weather (Texas) testing. As long as I can get a good deal on it of course. :D

For my glove box/office watch, I'd probably pick a khaki mechanical on canvas with a spare leather strap. Good quality, not super expensive, and with those two straps, would look fine everywhere -- from weekend casual to under a dress sleeve.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:"You wake up one morning and your alarm didn't go off, your backup alarm didn't go off and your dog (furry alarm clock) didn't wake you."

http://www.openculture.com/2014/02/kaf ... -play.html
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:"You wake up one morning and your alarm didn't go off, your backup alarm didn't go off and your dog (furry alarm clock) didn't wake you."

http://www.openculture.com/2014/02/kaf ... -play.html
Thanks. I will check this out.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

F91-W manufacture refurbished- $7 on eBay. Missed that $3 code yesterday[emoji53] which would have made this a smoking deal. Currently it is $10.69 on Amazon, though I have seen it for under $7 there before if you have patience.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2742009437

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 640706.jpg[/IMG]
The thread needed a picture. Here is my F91-W that is going into the glovebox as a failsafe.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I've read that some analog quartz movements are basically "off" when the crown is pulled, which preserves the battery. I never thought of doing this to a watch in my collection, but maybe it's a good idea for watches that get little wrist time. It would make sense for a glove box watch, anyhow.