We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Glove Box Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Glove Box Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm ...

The above got me thinking, what would be the best strap/band/bracelet type for a glovebox watch be? It would need to handle temperature extremes and fluctuations and potential humidity.
Another reason for an adjustable strap is in case you lend it to somebody. On mine I settled on leather because I think it can serve equally well for either dress or casual. It helps remind me, too, that the watch's WR isn't that great :-) However, the heat would probably be hard on it. A perlon strap could do the job, too -- maybe better.
Good point on being able to lend it. In the event of an emergency a perlon or NATO could be used as a bit of cordage to lash things together. You could easily use it to make a tripod to hang a vessel over a fire for example.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Glove Box Watches

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 am
BostonCharlie wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm ...

The above got me thinking, what would be the best strap/band/bracelet type for a glovebox watch be? It would need to handle temperature extremes and fluctuations and potential humidity.
Another reason for an adjustable strap is in case you lend it to somebody. On mine I settled on leather because I think it can serve equally well for either dress or casual. It helps remind me, too, that the watch's WR isn't that great :-) However, the heat would probably be hard on it. A perlon strap could do the job, too -- maybe better.
Good point on being able to lend it. In the event of an emergency a perlon or NATO could be used as a bit of cordage to lash things together. You could easily use it to make a tripod to hang a vessel over a fire for example.
For maximum versatility, one could create a bandolier of watches on NATOs, each buckled to the other link-wise to form a long belt. It could be a sling for your arm or it could hold up your pants. It could accommodate multiple strap accessories, like lights and compasses. Not to mention you could equip a whole posse of hapless, watchless comrades.

IIRC, Dub Rubb mentioned having a surplus of unloved NATOs. What do you say, [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention]? Could you repurpose them as a belt for your summer shorts?

(Disclaimer: caffeine does this to me :) )
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I think you may be on to something [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention]. Now I just have to dig out the big 'ol bag o straps and give it a test run. I am sure that my stylist(Mrs. Dub Rubb) will not approve, but sometimes I just need to be rebellion.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:37 am
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 am
BostonCharlie wrote:
For maximum versatility, one could create a bandolier of watches on NATOs, each buckled to the other link-wise to form a long belt. It could be a sling for your arm or it could hold up your pants. It could accommodate multiple strap accessories, like lights and compasses. Not to mention you could equip a whole posse of hapless, watchless comrades.

IIRC, Dub Rubb mentioned having a surplus of unloved NATOs. What do you say, ‘@Dub Rubb? Could you repurpose them as a belt for your summer shorts?

(Disclaimer: caffeine does this to me.
Are we talking about replacing the molle system...with “wolle”? (Watchstrap Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment)
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Glove Box Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime posted the Fossil Forrester that is now available in two color ways for around $21 with code TREAT until April 25th or they run out of stock. This puts it well within glovebox watch money. https://www.fossil.com/en-us/products/f ... S5610.html

As a cool bonus, they do free engraving, so you could do something like:
Last edited by Sporkboy on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Yesterday, the unthinkable happened. I left my house and realized my wrist was completely bare! I felt ashamed, naked and embarrassed of my sweet tan line.

Glove box watch to the rescue! Slapped the Duro on and all was suddenly right again. All hail the glove box watch!!!

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:Yesterday, the unthinkable happened. I left my house and realized my wrist was completely bare! I felt ashamed, naked and embarrassed of my sweet tan line.

Glove box watch to the rescue! Slapped the Duro on and all was suddenly right again. All hail the glove box watch!!!

I am glad that the planning paid off for you Dub Rubb. That is exactly how it is supposed to work.

On the Lovenwatches podcast, they talk about how RanchRacer forgot a watch to a business meeting and when it was over he went straight to a department store (I think it was a SEARS) and ended up purchasing two Citizens that were on sale. So spending a little money and time up front could save you hundreds of dollars in the future.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Casio F-91W in the glove box ($3 deal on Amazon)
IMG_20210711_141422691~2.jpg
Used it today

Casio B650 in my desk at work (PIF MoT)