We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Post by Split-Time »

It has been raining most of the last couple of days here. Yesterday I gave Sdelka a strap change and took her to my favorite hole in the wall deli. This place might seat twelve, and that is if everyone sits shoulder to shoulder, but the food and people are the best. The owner shaves ribeye steak fresh for cheese steak sandwiches. I went after the lunch rush but as luck would have it they were out of steak.

I was also looking for the Monkeynaut IPA brewed by Strait to Ale in Huntsville, AL. It is named to honor the monkeys that the US flew in space ahead of manned missions. One of the monkeys, Miss Baker, lived in Huntsville at the Space Center until she died. I used to go see her when I was little. The owner of the deli said that Monkeynaut wasn't selling too well in cans, but he did have a couple of cool pulls.

Strait to Ale is located in a repurposed Middle School along with some restaurants and even an axe throwing place. Pretty cool!
https://campus805.com/directory/

I didn't know that they have a beer named after Liaka, which [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention] might find interesting.

Sdelka found a couple of interesting local brews. Who knew that there was an IPA named after a physicist who studied shock waves?

On to a subject which seems to be popular around here...red meat. This is the way your Philly starts:

The owner was wearing a Citizen:

On my way out I noticed a box of fresh donuts...and I'm talking locally owned down the road fresh. The owner told me that he was going to turn those into some sort of bread pudding :shock: .

He also reminded me that they can be used to make this :P :

Before anyone asks, if you notice the date and time on the watch you will understand why the beer isn't in a glass. Maybe later :)
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Split-Time wrote:It has been raining most of the last couple of days here. Yesterday I gave Sdelka a strap change and took her to my favorite hole in the wall deli. This place might seat twelve, and that is if everyone sits shoulder to shoulder, but the food and people are the best. The owner shaves ribeye steak fresh for cheese steak sandwiches. I went after the lunch rush but as luck would have it they were out of steak.

I was also looking for the Monkeynaut IPA brewed by Strait to Ale in Huntsville, AL. It is named to honor the monkeys that the US flew in space ahead of manned missions. One of the monkeys, Miss Baker, lived in Huntsville at the Space Center until she died. I used to go see her when I was little. The owner of the deli said that Monkeynaut wasn't selling too well in cans, but he did have a couple of cool pulls.

Strait to Ale is located in a repurposed Middle School along with some restaurants and even an axe throwing place. Pretty cool!

I didn't know that they have a beer named after Liaka, which [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention] might find interesting.

Sdelka found a couple of interesting local brews. Who knew that there was an IPA named after a physicist who studied shock waves?

On to a subject which seems to be popular around here...red meat. This is the way your Philly starts:

On my way out I noticed a box of fresh donuts...and I'm talking locally owned down the road fresh. The owner told me that he was going to turn those into some sort of bread pudding :shock: .

Before anyone asks, if you notice the date and time on the watch you will understand why the beer isn't in a glass. Maybe later :)
Do you happen to run the joint? Pretty awesome relationship you’ve built with the deli owners and really cool shots of Sdelka!

Straight to Ale was distributed to SC for a bit, but I haven’t seen it for some time. If memory serves, Monkeynaut was a tasty IPA. Hope you’ve been able to enjoy those beers as it is now an appropriate hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Rabirnie wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:27 pm
Split-Time wrote:It has been raining most of the last couple of days here. Yesterday I gave Sdelka a strap change and took her to my favorite hole in the wall deli. This place might seat twelve, and that is if everyone sits shoulder to shoulder, but the food and people are the best. The owner shaves ribeye steak fresh for cheese steak sandwiches. I went after the lunch rush but as luck would have it they were out of steak.

I didn't know that they have a beer named after Liaka, which @Dub Rubb might find interesting.

Do you happen to run the joint? Pretty awesome relationship you’ve built with the deli owners and really cool shots of Sdelka!

Straight to Ale was distributed to SC for a bit, but I haven’t seen it for some time. If memory serves, Monkeynaut was a tasty IPA. Hope you’ve been able to enjoy those beers as it is now an appropriate hour.

No, I don’t run the joint...only a customer, but there is a sandwich named after me. I don’t eat it anymore but you can still get it. It’s basically the fresh Philly with homemade pimiento cheese on the opposite bun from the provolone. Sometimes it also comes with bacon on it. I used to be chubby :lol: . We have known the family that owns the place since before they got into the business.

That is awesome that you have had Monkeynaut in SC!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm but there is a sandwich named after me.
Dude, that's seriously awesome! 8-) 8-) 8-) 💥 ...and you just mention it casually. You've earned hero status with me...pun possibly intended. I could die pretty happy knowing there was a sandwich named after me lol. I enjoyed Sdelka's trip to the deli and your son, the Uno shark, gave me a good laugh. 👍
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:06 pm
Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm but there is a sandwich named after me.
Dude, that's seriously awesome! 8-) 8-) 8-) 💥 ...and you just mention it casually. You've earned hero status with me...pun possibly intended. I could die pretty happy knowing there was a sandwich named after me lol. I enjoyed Sdelka's trip to the deli and your son, the Uno shark, gave me a good laugh. 👍
Well, thank you 8-) . I may just go back one day next week and take a picture of one of the sandwiches. It's reaaalllly good...but I wasn't kidding when I said that I can't eat like that any more. But I will try for you guys!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

This afternoon we picked my father up and went out for dinner in Florence, AL. Florence is right across the Tennessee River from Muscle Shoals (the area is collectively known as the Shoals). Anyone remember a line in a song that goes, "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers..."? The Swampers were a studio band that played at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio and FAME Recording studios for years. All sorts of people have recorded here. Cher's debut solo album is named for the address of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio where the album was recorded, and the studio is featured on the album cover. People are still coming here to record...I don't follow very closely but Aerosmith and Alisha Keys comes to mind. The musicians say there is just something about the place. There is a great documentary if anyone is interested in the history. Both studios are also open for tours.

A few songs that have been recorded here:
"Brown Sugar" The Rolling Stones
"Loves Me Like a Rock" Paul Simon
"Old Time Rock and Roll" Bob Seger
"Wild Horses" The Rolling Stones
"Mustang Sally" Wilson Pickett
"Hey Jude" Wilson Pickett
"I'd Rather Go Blind" Etta James
"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" Aretha Franklin
"I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)" Aretha Franklin
"When a Man Loves a Woman" Percy Sledge

Back to the watch.
My father live on the Tennessee River, which runs all the way across north Alabama. The river has been impounded by a series of locks to create lakes. I used to live across the lake before my wife and I married. It was a lot closer and faster to visit my father by boat than to drive all the way around the lake and cross one of the dams.

My father really didn't understand why I wanted a wrist shot with him, although I did explain the traveling watch project. He is wearing a Citizen Ecodrive that my wife found at TJ Maxx (while looking at watches for me, no doubt ;) ). I'm not sure if he wears it all the time, or just when he knows that I will be around.

That is all for today. I hope everyone if having a great weekend!
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Split-Time wrote:This afternoon we picked my father up and went out for dinner in Florence, AL. Florence is right across the Tennessee River from Muscle Shoals (the area is collectively known as the Shoals). Anyone remember a line in a song that goes, "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers..."? The Swampers were a studio band that played at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio and FAME Recording studios for years. All sorts of people have recorded here. Cher's debut solo album is named for the address of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio where the album was recorded, and the studio is featured on the album cover. People are still coming here to record...I don't follow very closely but Aerosmith and Alisha Keys comes to mind. The musicians say there is just something about the place. There is a great documentary if anyone is interested in the history. Both studios are also open for tours.

A few songs that have been recorded here:
"Brown Sugar" The Rolling Stones
"Loves Me Like a Rock" Paul Simon
"Old Time Rock and Roll" Bob Seger
"Wild Horses" The Rolling Stones
"Mustang Sally" Wilson Pickett
"Hey Jude" Wilson Pickett
"I'd Rather Go Blind" Etta James
"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" Aretha Franklin
"I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)" Aretha Franklin
"When a Man Loves a Woman" Percy Sledge

Back to the watch.
My father live on the Tennessee River, which runs all the way across north Alabama. The river has been impounded by a series of locks to create lakes. I used to live across the lake before my wife and I married. It was a lot closer and faster to visit my father by boat than to drive all the way around the lake and cross one of the dams.

My father really didn't understand why I wanted a wrist shot with him, although I did explain the traveling watch project. He is wearing a Citizen Ecodrive that my wife found at TJ Maxx (while looking at watches for me, no doubt ;) ). I'm not sure if he wears it all the time, or just when he knows that I will be around.

That is all for today. I hope everyone if having a great weekend!
To answer your lyrics question, Lynyrd Skynyrd- Sweet Home Alabama.

Such a cool studio to have in your area. What a hit list of recordings!

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I enjoyed another day with Sdelka today. This has been the only watch I have worn for the past five days. That must be a record for me! I took my son to the US Space and Rocket Center today. The time of year we probably go about once a month, if not more often.

The Saturn V replica steals the show as you approach the center. It stands 363’ tall and was built in 1999 for the 30th anniversary of Apollo 11. The elements take their toll on the artifacts that are outside and this Saturn V replica was recently painted and restored for the 50th anniversary. It looks great. The Saturn IB is being restored now and several of the smaller rockets are off site at the moment.

Huntsville is the only place in the world where you can see a complete Space Shuttle stack. The orbiter is a mock-up named Pathfinder. The first time a Shuttle stack was assembled was in Huntsville in 1977 for vibration testing. Pathfinder was built to test the handling equipment and procedures before Enterprise was flown in for the test. It didn’t look much like an orbiter at the time, but had the same dimensions and weight distribution.

A new exhibit opened today. It has to do will all sorts of light and was educational and fun for my five year old and also for me. His favorite part was this room which demonstrated how lasers (visible, in this case) can be used for security. I promise…no watches were harmed in the taking of these photos!

Space Camp features mock-ups of several modules of the International Space Station as well as Space Shuttle and Orion simulators. They recently opened up a couple of the Space Station modules to the public.

I can’t do justice to the Saturn V hall with a cell phone. It contains the first Saturn V test article that was completed at the Marshall Spaceflight Center in Huntsville. The coolest part are the docents walking around in white lab coats…actual rocket scientist who love passing along their passion for science and spaceflight.

Ahhh, the Apollo Command Module simulator. [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention], if I have done anything, you can say that your watch has been here. Now bring on the Speedmaster!

Now it was time for lunch. [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] has only mentioned this place a few times, so I felt it only appropriate. John, can you tell where we are without scrolling further?

Man, this place has gotten even hole-in-the-wallier since I last ate here, and I mean that as a compliment! I remember the last time I ate here, and why...six years ago. Thank you for giving me a reason to revisit it.

That is all for today. Back to the work grind tomorrow!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've been to both locations you visited [mention]Split-Time[/mention] and enjoyed them immensely.

Surprised you didn't take a pic with the Speedmaster on display.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Awesome write up! I really want to go to the US Space and Rocket Center, it look really interesting. I was trying to figure out where you were based on your WRUW post. Keep it up! This thread keeps getting better and better.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm I've been to both locations you visited @Split-Time and enjoyed them immensely.

Surprised you didn't take a pic with the Speedmaster on display.

In hind sight I probably should have.. It is less than 10' from the Command Module Simulator and I always take a quick look at it. There is also the 30' tall Speedmaster by the Lunar Module. That may have been the more interesting picture that I missed :o .
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:52 pm Awesome write up! I really want to go to the US Space and Rocket Center, it look really interesting. I was trying to figure out where you were based on your WRUW post. Keep it up! This thread keeps getting better and better.
You should come for a visit. You may even be interested in adult Space Camp or family Space Camp. I just found out about family Space Camp yesterday, so I don't know any details other than it sound like even more fun (and more expensive!) than regular Space Camp.

If you, or anyone else, come for a visit please let me know. I would be happy to offer suggestions for travel and things to do. Maybe meet up and talk watches and rockets.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:I enjoyed another day with Sdelka today. This has been the only watch I have worn for the past five days. That must be a record for me! I took my son to the US Space and Rocket Center today. The time of year we probably go about once a month, if not more often.

The Saturn V replica steals the show as you approach the center. It stands 363’ tall and was built in 1999 for the 30th anniversary of Apollo 11. The elements take their toll on the artifacts that are outside and this Saturn V replica was recently painted and restored for the 50th anniversary. It looks great. The Saturn IB is being restored now and several of the smaller rockets are off site at the moment.

Huntsville is the only place in the world where you can see a complete Space Shuttle stack. The orbiter is a mock-up named Pathfinder. The first time a Shuttle stack was assembled was in Huntsville in 1977 for vibration testing. Pathfinder was built to test the handling equipment and procedures before Enterprise was flown in for the test. It didn’t look much like an orbiter at the time, but had the same dimensions and weight distribution.

A new exhibit opened today. It has to do will all sorts of light and was educational and fun for my five year old and also for me. His favorite part was this room which demonstrated how lasers (visible, in this case) can be used for security. I promise…no watches were harmed in the taking of these photos!

Space Camp features mock-ups of several modules of the International Space Station as well as Space Shuttle and Orion simulators. They recently opened up a couple of the Space Station modules to the public.

I can’t do justice to the Saturn V hall with a cell phone. It contains the first Saturn V test article that was completed at the Marshall Spaceflight Center in Huntsville. The coolest part are the docents walking around in white lab coats…actual rocket scientist who love passing along their passion for science and spaceflight.

Ahhh, the Apollo Command Module simulator. [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention], if I have done anything, you can say that your watch has been here. Now bring on the Speedmaster!

Now it was time for lunch. [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] has only mentioned this place a few times, so I felt it only appropriate. John, can you tell where we are without scrolling further?

Man, this place has gotten even hole-in-the-wallier since I last ate here, and I mean that as a compliment! I remember the last time I ate here, and why...six years ago. Thank you for giving me a reason to revisit it.

That is all for today. Back to the work grind tomorrow!
Great pics, and what a cool place to take Sdelka! If I ever come your way, rest assured the speedy will be with me. How could I pass up a chance for that photo op!

That looks really cool and it looks like an awesome place that both you and your kiddo can enjoy equally. Great job!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Also, haven't done this in a while. We have one new addition, and Bbrou33 is back on the list.

Updated list.
1) Edremit (North Dakota) -1st stop, thanks!-
2) aris1312 (Greece) - 2nd stop thanks!-
3) FTE(watchpalooza)(Germany)(3rd stop thanks!)
4) Animal Mother (U.K/South Africa)(thanks!)
5) konax(Poland)thanks!
6) ffeingol(Wisconson)thanks!
7) Wolfsatz (Virginia)- thanks!
8) Sporkboy (Boston) thanks, go sox!
9) Split-Time (Alabama)- where Sdelka is currently
10) Bbrou33 (NYC) next in line
11) tommy_boy (PNW)
12) Stretch44 (Monterey Ca)
13) Southern Bamboo (Alabama round 2)

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Today I thought I would get Sdelka out of the office and take her somewhere a little more industrial, which seems to better fit her personality.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about that sandwich I told you guys about, so I went back to the deli and ordered one. It was the best sandwich I have ever had. The owner said that it had been three years since I had one. It may be worth falling off of the wagon for!

Notice the homemade pimiento cheese on the bottom. Look at that steam coming off the top, [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] !

It was so good that I almost forgot to take the obligatory watch shot.

Sdelka's time in north Alabama is winding down. I will be sad to see her go, but can't wait to see what she gets into in the Big Apple.
Last edited by Split-Time on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.