We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Sporkboy wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:
I love the idea of painting the caseback. Yours turned out great! The idea of Sdelka picking up some "character" on the adventure is a great one, and something I am definitely not opposed to. Great idea!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
OK, slow to respond to this one. I think that the case, movement, crystal and dial should probably remain the same, though alterations would be OK additional lume to the dial. I would equate that to getting a tattoo or something. A new dial would be like a face transplant.

More minor upgrades such as a new crown, caseback or bezel wouldn’t be out of the question. Though, I hesitate on the bezel since that does change the character a lot and I think the bezel looks pretty good as it is.

At any rate, I think that the original parts should stay with the watch regardless of what gets replaced/upgraded.

Just as reference for those that haven’t seen this picture before, this is the back of my Vostok.
I do want to redo this since I finally got some blue paint. I was thinking black, blue and a splash of red in there for obvious reasons.
Just a heads up on what you have ahead of you as far as painting the caseback goes. I am pretty sure this is Sdelka. I think it's gonna look pretty damn cool! However, it is definitely a little more intricate.

Thanks for the preview. I look forward to giving Sdelka a bit of color on her back. It shouldn’t be that much more difficult as it is selectively masking and wiping on paint. It should look very good. I will try to dig up a two tone caseback picture I did a while back.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Visiting the International Congress Center München in Riem. This is where most conventions and events are held. Its a beautiful area, even on a rainy day like today.
2560F070-06E7-4C9F-B391-8335E074D640.jpeg

Last night Sdelka took a moment to admire a local’s car parked outside a party we attended:
F2FD1E46-53CE-4BA5-908B-F55CE0946E2E.jpeg
03665520-B05A-4F4F-B633-63CA835EA406.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Post by Sporkboy »

I have to say that it seems that Watchapalooza is taking better advantage of life’s opportunities than I am. I envy you sir.

As far as caseback painting goes, not many people are doing it so I am learning as I go with the few deeply engraved casebacks that I have. I did a quick search to see if I could fine a copy of Sdelka’s caseback and I found a couple on eBay, but they appear to have the designed raised. To me, Sdelka’s caseback looks as the design is engraved into it and not popping out. Can you let me know which it is?

This is what I am seeing available:
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 am I have to say that it seems that Watchapalooza is taking better advantage of life’s opportunities than I am. I envy you sir.

As far as caseback painting goes, not many people are doing it so I am learning as I go with the few deeply engraved casebacks that I have. I did a quick search to see if I could fine a copy of Sdelka’s caseback and I found a couple on eBay, but they appear to have the designed raised. To me, Sdelka’s caseback looks as the design is engraved into it and not popping out. Can you let me know which it is?

You are correct, sir...it is engraved not raised.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 am I have to say that it seems that Watchapalooza is taking better advantage of life’s opportunities than I am. I envy you sir.

You are correct, sir...it is engraved not raised.
Thank you. I could honestly do it either way, but this helps a bit with the design and daydreaming about the colors. I think engraved will work better, but raises would just give a completely different look and feel.

I am really looking forward to exploring painting more casebacks as it is a neglected corner of the watch modding arena.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Here are some pictures of what I did with a Timex Expedition caseback. It shows off a selective section in red.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:15 pm
Sporkboy wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:
I love the idea of painting the caseback. Yours turned out great! The idea of Sdelka picking up some "character" on the adventure is a great one, and something I am definitely not opposed to. Great idea!

OK, slow to respond to this one. I think that the case, movement, crystal and dial should probably remain the same, though alterations would be OK additional lume to the dial. I would equate that to getting a tattoo or something. A new dial would be like a face transplant.

More minor upgrades such as a new crown, caseback or bezel wouldn’t be out of the question. Though, I hesitate on the bezel since that does change the character a lot and I think the bezel looks pretty good as it is.

At any rate, I think that the original parts should stay with the watch regardless of what gets replaced/upgraded.

Just as reference for those that haven’t seen this picture before, this is the back of my Vostok.
I do want to redo this since I finally got some blue paint. I was thinking black, blue and a splash of red in there for obvious reasons.
Just a heads up on what you have ahead of you as far as painting the caseback goes. I am pretty sure this is Sdelka. I think it's gonna look pretty damn cool! However, it is definitely a little more intricate.

You are correct, this IS the back of Sdelka.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sdelka with some businessmen who are running late for a meeting. These are in Laim on the west side of Munich.
Click Icon To Contact Me

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am Visiting the International Congress Center München in Riem. This is where most conventions and events are held. Its a beautiful area, even on a rainy day like today.

2560F070-06E7-4C9F-B391-8335E074D640.jpeg

Last night Sdelka took a moment to admire a local’s car parked outside a party we attended:

F2FD1E46-53CE-4BA5-908B-F55CE0946E2E.jpeg

03665520-B05A-4F4F-B633-63CA835EA406.jpeg
My favorite cars as a kid all the white R/T Challengers from Vanishing Point were distroyed by Dodge. They lent the movie makers the the cars and were not happy with the car being the star in a movie about drugs.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This Saturday I will try to get sone photos with Sdelka at Olympiapark and Allianz Arena, and then I think it wiöl be time to send Sdelka to a new city. Where does she travel to next?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

watchpalooza wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am This Saturday I will try to get sone photos with Sdelka at Olympiapark and Allianz Arena, and then I think it wiöl be time to send Sdelka to a new city. Where does she travel to next?
I believe it's time for her to come to Cymru (Wales).
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Animal Mother wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:03 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am This Saturday I will try to get sone photos with Sdelka at Olympiapark and Allianz Arena, and then I think it wiöl be time to send Sdelka to a new city. Where does she travel to next?
I believe it's time for her to come to Cymru (Wales).
I may not be able to drop her in the mail until the weekend due to my schedule, but she is on her way. Do you prefer the original strap or the khaki barton canvas? Or do we keep both with her?
Click Icon To Contact Me

MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm Brilliant stuff! You're not making my job any easier when she arrives in Wales. :lol:
Nah, not when you have such charming towns as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Llanhyfryddawellehynafolybarcudprindanfygythiadtrienusyllafnauole to show her around. Maybe take her skateboarding down Ffordd Pen Llech.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Animal Mother wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm Brilliant stuff! You're not making my job any easier when she arrives in Wales. :lol:
Nah, not when you have such charming towns as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Llanhyfryddawellehynafolybarcudprindanfygythiadtrienusyllafnauole to show her around. Maybe take her skateboarding down Ffordd Pen Llech.
LOLROTF
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Nah, not when you have such charming towns as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Llanhyfryddawellehynafolybarcudprindanfygythiadtrienusyllafnauole to show her around.
Those are pronounced Bobville and Steveburg, right? :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody