We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, I am not liking that black ring, and I think the markers should go out a bit further to the edge of the dial. I think it makes the dial feel artificially small. If I made that change, it would look closer to the Sinn design on their 'explorer' dials.
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 10.16.31 AM.png
I have to thicken those second ticks a bit anyway, which makes it closer yet. Does anyone have a problem with this?

I was going for something Explorer I inspired, but it is now closer to a Sinn 556 A. In working with the design, it is funny that I came to be so close to the Sinn without trying. I just want to make sure nobody thinks I was trying to clone the dial. I would have picked a different font if that were the case, this is just a favorite of mine for numbers (DIN). I'm not sure that I should care about this, but I try not to steal whole designs from people.

Are there any other changes that should be considered here? I'm quickly approaching the point of being happy with the process, so I'd like to finalize this initial design before making some of these for people.

This version has done away with the sporkboy credit, and I am OK with that. It does look nice on the watches I sent out, but I don't think it would look right as I am getting rid of the boarder ring. Thoughts? I can always put it way out on the edge where it will be hidden by the chapter ring. Then you only know if you take the movement out.

I have opened a wait list now, so shoot me a message if you'd like one of these 28.5mm dials in either full lume or black dial with lume. They are made on a very small scale, and reflect that each one is placed and finished by hand. There will be small variations. If you are only happy with perfection, then these aren't for you. That said, I would like to get these out to people who are excited to see this become a reality and those that would proudly rock a MoT watch.

I guess I'll see how the wait list develops and decide on what to make as far as which dial color and the quantity. I should probably make a LWDS dial sometime soon as well...

Coincidentally, my supervisor commented on my MoT watch this morning and asked if it glowed in the dark.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I really like the look without the ring! I definitely has a bit more of a Sinn vibe, but that isn't a bad thing in my book. Great work!

I have 3 8926 dials I will offer up to you as well. Have You thought about trying to reapply the stock indices on an MoT dial? It is not something I would attempt, but neither is lume or making a dial for that matter. I think I have all the handsets as well. For some reason I thought I needed them for future projects or something, but I am sure you will do more with them than I would.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:I really like the look without the ring! I definitely has a bit more of a Sinn vibe, but that isn't a bad thing in my book. Great work!

I have 3 8926 dials I will offer up to you as well. Have You thought about trying to reapply the stock indices on an MoT dial? It is not something I would attempt, but neither is lume or making a dial for that matter. I think I have all the handsets as well. For some reason I thought I needed them for future projects or something, but I am sure you will do more with them than I would.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
That is kind of you. I will gladly repurpose any castoff dials and hands from previous or future mod projects that anyone wants to send my way. It would be great to get a positive feedback loop working on parts.

I have removed indices, painted dials and reapplied the indices, so adding a decal would be no more difficult.

The secrets are
-Push our indices with a straight pin.
Do what you will to the dial.
-Use the straight pin to pre-poke the holes you are going to use.
-Apply indices 1-2 at a time and apply glue to the BACK of the dial.

If you try gluing to the front, you/I will make a mess of it.

I have the Nakzen watches and a couple GMTs to mod in this fashion, so we will see how those go.

On the 8926 dial, I only worry about the date window, but I am trying to design my way around that problem. I just haven’t cracked it yet.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

A flat top coat seems to have resolved the printing splotches. Not sure how that works, but it does.
Problems with getting the second decal to stick. May try a top coat between layers. Ended up with some bubbles and a strange bit at the center hole where I had to fill in with black marker.

However:
ImageImage

This dial is waiting for a Vostok to wind down.

Plenty to do on this project. Puzzles to figure out.

Remove ring from design
Get more dials, prep and prime
Lume a bunch of dials consistently
Build luming jig
Sort finishing process
Make dials
Send out dials
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:45 am This dial is waiting for a Vostok to wind down.
Top tip: you can manually unwind a watch without having to wait for it. Here's the procedure:

1) Firmly take hold of the crown between your fingers.

2) Locate the ratchet click; if you're not familiar with it, it's the piece that prevents the barrel from rotating backwards and looks something like this:

3) Using a screwdriver or some pegwood or even a toothpick, pull back the click. This will allow the barrel to rotate backwards and the mainspring to unwind.

4) Slowly allow the crown to unwind between your fingers. This ensures that the mainspring doesn't unwind all at once, which would probably blow bits of the movement all over the room.

Once the crown stops turning the mainspring is almost completely unwound and you can begin work safely. Good luck!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am OK, I am not liking that black ring, and I think the markers should go out a bit further to the edge of the dial. I think it makes the dial feel artificially small. If I made that change, it would look closer to the Sinn design on their 'explorer' dials.
I have to thicken those second ticks a bit anyway, which makes it closer yet. Does anyone have a problem with this?

I was going for something Explorer I inspired, but it is now closer to a Sinn 556 A. In working with the design, it is funny that I came to be so close to the Sinn without trying. I just want to make sure nobody thinks I was trying to clone the dial. I would have picked a different font if that were the case, this is just a favorite of mine for numbers (DIN). I'm not sure that I should care about this, but I try not to steal whole designs from people.

Are there any other changes that should be considered here? I'm quickly approaching the point of being happy with the process, so I'd like to finalize this initial design before making some of these for people.

This version has done away with the sporkboy credit, and I am OK with that. It does look nice on the watches I sent out, but I don't think it would look right as I am getting rid of the boarder ring. Thoughts? I can always put it way out on the edge where it will be hidden by the chapter ring. Then you only know if you take the movement out.

I have opened a wait list now, so shoot me a message if you'd like one of these 28.5mm dials in either full lume or black dial with lume. They are made on a very small scale, and reflect that each one is placed and finished by hand. There will be small variations. If you are only happy with perfection, then these aren't for you. That said, I would like to get these out to people who are excited to see this become a reality and those that would proudly rock a MoT watch.

I guess I'll see how the wait list develops and decide on what to make as far as which dial color and the quantity. I should probably make a LWDS dial sometime soon as well...

Coincidentally, my supervisor commented on my MoT watch this morning and asked if it glowed in the dark.
I like this design without the boarder ring and agree it makes the watch appear larger. But I am not sure we can accept one without some kind of Sporkboy credit.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am OK, I am not liking that black ring, and I think the markers should go out a bit further to the edge of the dial. I think it makes the dial feel artificially small. If I made that change, it would look closer to the Sinn design on their 'explorer' dials.

No preference when it comes to the outer ring. I think it will look good either way. I think it would be cool if you're able to keep the Sporkboy on there somewhere but once again, happy either way. Please keep me in mind for a full lume 28.5mm dial however put me last on your list. I'm gonna be away from home and much busier for the next two months and would be unlikely to actually put my 8926 MOT watch together until 11/1. If the BLUE LUME thing ends up happening, I may need one of those dials in my life. Tough decision bc I've never seen blue lume that glows quite as strong as the green you're using now. Either way, I will happily donate $ for all the blue lume and more dials. In the meantime, I'm really happy just to see these things develop and come to fruition. It's been really fun to ⌚.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

sistem_32 wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:45 am This dial is waiting for a Vostok to wind down.
Top tip: you can manually unwind a watch without having to wait for it. Here's the procedure:

1) Firmly take hold of the crown between your fingers.

2) Locate the ratchet click; if you're not familiar with it, it's the piece that prevents the barrel from rotating backwards and looks something like this:

3) Using a screwdriver or some pegwood or even a toothpick, pull back the click. This will allow the barrel to rotate backwards and the mainspring to unwind.

4) Slowly allow the crown to unwind between your fingers. This ensures that the mainspring doesn't unwind all at once, which would probably blow bits of the movement all over the room.

Once the crown stops turning the mainspring is almost completely unwound and you can begin work safely. Good luck!
Thanks. I did know about this, but it turns out that Vostoks have their click hidden beneath some of the works. I haven’t done that before and didn’t feel particularly brave today. I did remove the rotor, so hopefully I can just let the watch wind down normally. I may end up trying to find the click eventually.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:

I like this design without the boarder ring and agree it makes the watch appear larger. But I am not sure we can accept one without some kind of Sporkboy credit.
Noted. I will see if I can come up with something that is legible and unobtrusive.

It looks like the lack of a ring will work better for the 28.5mm design, though with the ring doesn’t look too bad on the Vostok. I may need to make those hour indices chunkier as well. This is something I’ve oscillated on, so I hope to finalize it soon and walk away from the decision.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:

No preference when it comes to the outer ring. I think it will look good either way. I think it would be cool if you're able to keep the Sporkboy on there somewhere but once again, happy either way. Please keep me in mind for a full lume 28.5mm dial however put me last on your list. I'm gonna be away from home and much busier for the next two months and would be unlikely to actually put my 8926 MOT watch together until 11/1. If the BLUE LUME thing ends up happening, I may need one of those dials in my life. Tough decision bc I've never seen blue lume that glows quite as strong as the green you're using now. Either way, I will happily donate $ for all the blue lume and more dials. In the meantime, I'm really happy just to see these things develop and come to fruition. It's been really fun to [emoji355].
I will put you down for a full lume dial. I think that the blue lume will never be quite as bright as the green, something to do with how the human eye perceives light and such. However, I am willing to use relatively crazy amounts of lume powder on dials so the brightness might be pretty good. It is one of those things that has to be tried. The lume is much more reasonable than ‘watch lume’, which is more expensive than I thought it would be.

Thank you for being willing to contribute to the project, I will keep that in mind.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Once cased the green looks a bit darker. I would like to figure out how to make that lighter. I have some white acrylic base medium that I will play with.Image
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have been playing around with 3D printing some dial blanks and practicing applying lume to those with a jig I made. Not perfect yet, but it is certainly going on easier. Once the lume cures, the printed dials are pretty stiff and may actually work in a watch. This would solve the problem of hunting down old dials, sanding them down and getting them ready. Not sure it will work, but the potential is there.

Here are some random pictures showing the thicker indices dial. Sporkboy credit doesn’t work yet, getting there. This was a plastic dial that I printed, two decals (2nd and 3rd pictured below) with no sealing in between. I expect this to fail, but it is a good test. The first two pictures are with one decal, so you get light bleed.

ImageImageImageImage
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I just popped this dial into a random case to see what it might look like. Very legible.Image
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:25 pm I just popped this dial into a random case to see what it might look like. Very legible.Image
That looks really good!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, this is closer to what I wanted on this watch. The lume now matches! I am letting the seconds hand cure now, so I can add that later. The hour hand needs some cleaning up, but I think it is a big improvement.

The dial is sloppy as it was a 3D printed dial test and could have been smoother. I also need to clear coat between decals. Still, it is 20% thinner than the last dial I did (now 0.8 mm, a bare dial is 0.4mm. It is actually really good to know that there is clearance enough for 0.8mm as I have been wondering about a circuit board fabrication house for the creation of custom dials...

ImageImage

Edit: I accidentally used one of the older mottos on this dial. That will be correctef