We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am Epic fail today. Was all read for another clear coat when I set a tray right on the dial and put some nice scratches on it.
ImageImage
Still looks good! Just put it in a case and call it a "distressed" dial, someone will love it.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Stretch44 wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am Epic fail today. Was all read for another clear coat when I set a tray right on the dial and put some nice scratches on it.
ImageImage
Still looks good! Just put it in a case and call it a "distressed" dial, someone will love it.
Thanks. This was only damage to the decal, so I was able to peel it off and apply another. Small delay, but I will get there.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Stretch44 wrote:
ImageImage
Thanks. This was only damage to the decal, so I was able to peel it off and apply another. Small delay, but I will get there.
Are there any other supplies we can get to support your efforts and help the process?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Stretch44 wrote:
Are there any other supplies we can get to support your efforts and help the process?
Thank you for the thought. At the moment I am doing OK on supplies. It is just a matter of time now. I am hoping to have some of these ready to go out early next week provided that I don’t run into any new snags.

If my supplier comes out with new lume colors in the future then that might be something helpful, but right now I am maxed out on supplies, which is always a nice place to be.
ImageImage
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am nearly happy with this. The edge isn’t sealed all along the edge in a couple places, but otherwise it would be ready to go. Hopefully the decal setting fluid is going to solve this problem.

I quickly blacked out the hands, and they aren’t the best choice. Anyway, you get the idea of what you might be able to do with this dial. It is really cool to go from white outside to electric blue inside.

ImageImageImage
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm I am nearly happy with this. The edge isn’t sealed all along the edge in a couple places, but otherwise it would be ready to go. Hopefully the decal setting fluid is going to solve this problem.

I quickly blacked out the hands, and they aren’t the best choice. Anyway, you get the idea of what you might be able to do with this dial. It is really cool to go from white outside to electric blue inside.

ImageImageImage
Looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in person. You're doing an amazing job.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm I am nearly happy with this. The edge isn’t sealed all along the edge in a couple places, but otherwise it would be ready to go. Hopefully the decal setting fluid is going to solve this problem.

ImageImageImage

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, the pure blue lume is cool, but it is a pain to charge as you need an IR light source. The brightness leaves much to be desired. I am making the decision to go with a 4:1 blue:green mix and have applied that to a couple of blanks.

As you can see, this is much more even than the test dial that I did previously. The color is more blue and I think it is much nicer.
This is the color of the full lume dial for the time being. From these two blanks, I hope to get one good dial for Yinzburgher.

I may do the 4:3 for the black dial, but the 4:1 mix might be nice for that as well. It is just such a nice looking blue.

Here are some process pictures.

Luming jig that will produce a layer ~5mm thick so that it can be sanded down to 4mm

Adding UV resin to the lume powder.

It should be the consistency of medium thick icing. It should flow slowly.

Dials pressed into the jigs and waiting for lume.

Lume applied prior to leveling.

Leveling the lume.

Removing the dials from below.

Curing the dials in a UV-curing lamp.

Two lumed dial blanks ready for sanding down to the correct thickness.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Love seeing the lume process. Very cool!!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Back to the decision to use the 4:1 mix:

I don’t think you can blame me here.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Great work!!! :D
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am Love seeing the lume process. Very cool!!
Same thoughts here. Thanks for the the work on this and for posting it SB. I like seeing the end result but I really love seeing the various steps and what goes into creating these.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Thanks for sharing pics of the process. Very cool. I am with you on the 4:1 though. Still blue, but much brighter. I think it is the perfect middle ground. Great work bud, I am very impressed.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 pm Thanks for sharing pics of the process. Very cool. I am with you on the 4:1 though. Still blue, but much brighter. I think it is the perfect middle ground. Great work bud, I am very impressed.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Ditto!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you everyone. I am glad that you like the process posts. I think that the dial luming process deserves its own thread complete with product links and more details.

I will also do the same thing for the water slide decal process. As both of these processes are novel in the current era of home watchmaking,I think that pulling them out of this thread will make them a more accessible resource.

They will also be a great start for a watch mods forum section (hint).