As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by watchpalooza »

The Full lume is awesome.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

I want one!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, I used a larger than appropriate decal on this one since that is what I had handy. It loses the outer rings, but it might look even better this way. What do you guys think?

I will have to do more testing to see if the lume lasts, but I am glad you like it.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, got some more testing done.
Lume on a dial primed white works much better than bare brass (not a surprise). More even coverage and subsequently brighter lume.

I got most of the bubbles out, but a rogue fiber made it in :( self leveling worked well, but does add a bit of dial height.

ImageImage

I put a white dial on this one. Alignment isn’t perfect as it is not sized correctly, but works for a test. Wasn’t patient and ended up giving the dial heat gun blisters. However, it glows fairly well.

I was anxious to see if it would work in a watch, so the 8926 comes out. There is some friction between hour hand and dial, but it does indeed work. Offset bending of the hands may be needed.
ImageImageImage
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Initial brightness pales in comparison to the Lorus Lumibrite. After 30 minutes the they were about the same. After 8 hours the brightness was similar, but the handset made the MoT dial unreadable. Clear decals are needed for a better iteration.

The height added is too great for this to be for general consumption. I will have to play with full dial application of lume before proceeding.

The upside of all this is a new direction to the dial by zooming in and eliminating that outer ring. It does get rid of the credit line, but it will look so much better on a 32.5mm dial. This is similar to other dials, but they are clean and popular for a reason.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

Sporkboy wrote:OK. First watch is in the PIF thread. The second one I am posting here. If someone wants to make MoT a donation of anything in excess of $15, then I will send this to you within the USA. Post here to reserve it and I will send it after confirmation of the donation comes through via MoT.

ImageImage
This one is on hold for Stretch44...
Edit: Donation confirmed; thank you for supporting the forum Stretch44! I will pack this up today and hope to make it to the post office tomorrow. Looking forward to someone else having one of these.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

28.5mm dials waiting for watch testing. I’ve got an Amphibia, so one of the dials might go in there. Still need to order some hand sets.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

If all goes as planned, the first MoT watches to leave my possession will be mailed out today to Stretch44 and SplitTime thanks to their generous donations.

Unrelated, if I can ever get black to turn out well, I think that it would look amazing with a full lume dial with a clear water transfer on top. The printer assumes a white base, so all of the white printing will be clear, allowing the lume to go through. This is a fun path of discovery we are all going down here. Thanks for coming along for the ride.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Glad to see them going out!

I'll be waiting patiently for one. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:Glad to see them going out!

You’ll have to wait a while longer for the Mod’s watch to be designed and built. I am planning on the following order
1. 28.5mm design and get some of those made up and available.
2. Waterslide decal tutorial.
3. Mod’s watch design, build and distribute.
4. Lume experiments, selectively applied and full dial.

I appreciate you excitement,
so a I have sent you something to hold you over until your Mod’s Watch is complete. It should be delivered on Friday.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 am

You’ll have to wait a while longer for the Mod’s watch to be designed and built. I am planning on the following order

so a I have sent you something to hold you over until your Mod’s Watch is complete. It should be delivered on Friday.
Ok, now I'm even more excited, thank you. :D

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:

It’s my pleasure. I think you will enjoy what I have sent. You will want to check your strap stash for something pass through in 20mm size as the stock strap probably needs swapping out.

I just noticed the thread passed by 100 posts! I thank you all for following the adventure, offering to help where you can and chiming up when thoughts strike you. The engagement of this place drove me to start the project and your involvement keeps me going. Thank you.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:
ManOnTime wrote:

It’s my pleasure. I think you will enjoy what I have sent. You will want to check your strap stash for something pass through in 20mm size as the stock strap probably needs swapping out.

I just noticed the thread passed by 100 posts! I thank you all for following the adventure, offering to help where you can and chiming up when thoughts strike you. The engagement of this place drove me to start the project and your involvement keeps me going. Thank you.
I love what you are doing here bud. When this thread started, I can promise you that I was not expecting full lume dials this soon! Very cool and great work. I am looking forward to picking up one of the MoT dials in the future for a mod. I already have 2 incoming dials to work with and only one case and movement. When 8926s go on fire sale again, I will be sure to pick up a couple to set aside for the dials.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Look what came in the mail today! :D Whoot whoot! Sporkboy, you have really outdone yourself. This is great. It even came on a nice strap which matches the blue second hand. Domed crystal, too ;). You can't see "Designed by Sporkboy" in this picture, but it's in there.

Sorry for the quality of the picture. I'll do better over the weekend.

My wife and I are not on social media or any other message boards, but this place seems to be a treasure and I am very proud to have one of the first "MoT" watches! Thank you [mention]sporkboy[/mention]!
IMG_7472.JPG
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I too got a special delivery today.

Phenomenal job! I remain humbled that this site means enough to some folks that they would take time and resources to produce these watches.

Thank you [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]!
IMG_20190816_163014.jpg

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT