Things We Love About Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Things We Love About Watches

Post by MoT »

sistem_32 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 pm The Germans seem to do this best.
Sho' nuff!
[img]https://www.kudoke.eu/assets/images/8/K ... afa8a0.jpg[/img]
:o

That looks amazing! I must know more.

-edit- Just saw the price. I'll keep walking. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

sistem_32 wrote:
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 pm The Germans seem to do this best.
Sho' nuff!
I love when graphical representations are used in ways that are both intuitive and uncommon. The sun and moon for a 24 hr sub dial makes perfect sense. It is also gorgeous. Definitely not my style, but I appreciate the effort that the designer took here.

That brings me to another point. I love the whole design aspect of watches. In working on a dial design it has been a struggle for me. Some of it is software skill but mostly it is finding the right balance. I love watch designs that are balanced and interesting at the same time.

Usually a design that is just a little ‘off’ and you don’t know why. Finding a design that does t trigger that in me and the search for that design is something that I love.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I love it when a digital watch maintains the current time in all modes.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm -edit- Just saw the price. I'll keep walking. :lol:
That reminds me of something I like (but at the same time can be frustrating) about watches. If you have never heard of a particular make before, you have NO IDEA what it costs just by looking at it. Could be $150; could be $150,000.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm -edit- Just saw the price. I'll keep walking. :lol:
That reminds me of something I like (but at the same time can be frustrating) about watches. If you have never heard of a particular make before, you have NO IDEA what it costs just by looking at it. Could be $150; could be $150,000.
--------

So much for showing off, then?
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 pm
That's what a Rolex is for. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 am As a counterpoint to the Watch Pet Peeves thread, I would like to hear about all the little details that make you live a watch. Pictures are encouraged.

I really love it when a second hand is balanced with the same amount of mass on both sides of the pinion. Bonus points for second hands that are more interesting than a simple stick. As an example, I think that the Timex Scout’s arrow second hand does a great job with this.
In this vein, here's one of my favorite counterbalanced second hands. It lines up with the logo once per minute. I miss mine, but they're hard to find and expensive now.

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Boourns wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:29 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 pm
That's what a Rolex is for. :lol:
---

Not if it looks like an Invicta.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Two more from the watch I wear today:

Long slender seconds hands the stretch all the way to the edge of the watch.

Bezel-less or minimal bezel designs where the crystal extends pretty much to the edge of the watch.

Both create a very clean look and make the watch appear larger.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

It may be that I am in ultra affordable land, but I love the availability of after market straps and bracelets. Almost all of my watches are not wearing their original straps. The ability to change a watches look and feel with a strap change is also something that I love
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Having three radio controlled watches now (1 Citizen and 2 Gshocks), I have learned how much I enjoy having these watches that I never have to worry about. They're also all solar for near zero maintenance requirements.

All other watches I own rely on them for their time. They're my "prime" watches.

And every time I wear one and hit the button to see if they synced the night before, I get a smidge of joy if it worked.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

What I love most about watches at the moment are power reserve dials.

What I hate most at the moment are automatics that don't have hand winding as an option.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Watches are mechanical art jewelry. Show me one other way to combine love for art, mechanical systems, and flair that comes close. Not gonna happen.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:09 pm Watches are mechanical art jewelry. Show me one other way to combine love for art, mechanical systems, and flair that comes close. Not gonna happen.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Robotaz wrote:Watches are mechanical art jewelry. Show me one other way to combine love for art, mechanical systems, and flair that comes close. Not gonna happen.