As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

These 3: Rotating Bezel, Thin, Lume.

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Bolster
MoT Member

These 3: Rotating Bezel, Thin, Lume.

Post by Bolster »

Can you help me find a work watch that matches these three criteria:

1) Rotating bezel (could be elapsed or countdown or second time zone, but not compass). Either external or internal.
2) Thin, <11mm thick, even better if <10mm thick.
3) Good-to-excellent lume.

Don't care about: day/date; any depth rating 50M or better is OK; band or bracelet; any reasonable diameter (say 37-44mm).

Quartz is actually preferred; this is for a working watch that will be put in harm's way, there are more thin quartz options, and they're less costly to replace. However, I'm not opposed to a mechanical--I already own a Glycine Combat (10.6mm) and a Borealis Portus Cale (11.3mm), but tend not to wear them for rough work. Budget is anywhere between $50-500, but I don't mind wearing an inexpensive watch as long as it matches the above criteria. This watch is not for "conspicuous consumption." Thanks for giving it a think.
Unrepentant Quartzer
MoT
Site Admin

Re: These 3: Rotating Bezel, Thin, Lume.

Post by MoT »

This comes very close: https://www.timex.com/allied-coastline- ... Watch.html
coastline.JPG
1) Yes, bezel rotates.
2) 11.5mm, so just outside your range.
3) There is lume, and it's ok, but Indiglo! It doesn't get better than that. Unless you're looking for something where you don't need to activate a button.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Say, that's a possibility. Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) own one? I'm curious if it's a "loud ticker." I understand that some Timex are NOT loud, but I don't own any non-loud Timex, all mine klank around at night and keep me awake!

Finding watches with these three attributes isn't easy. Recently learned of the 1553 Squale, a quartz that's 9mm thick but about $400. I don't know if I would pay that for a quartz. Maybe. I guess the lume is not so hot.

Unrepentant Quartzer
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I know you already messaged me about my Mido Ocean star, but seriously keep an eye out for used ones of these. They're about 11.75mm thick with 42mm diameter. Lume is above average but not as good as Zelos for example. If you hunt around you can find a used one for $430-$600 but those eBay 15% coupons make all the difference. The non titanium ones will be like $80 -$150 cheaper too. It's difficult finding an automatic diver in that thin of a profile, but there are tons of quartz ones out there.
ImageImageImageImage
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

+1 for the Oceanstar. Great watches that I believe check all the boxes for you. Plus just cool that they use natural cork seals.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I'll have to ponder this one. If you weren't wearing it to work I'd recommend a pre-owned Concord Mariner quartz.

We'll find you something. Stand by.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Robotaz wrote:I'll have to ponder this one. If you weren't wearing it to work I'd recommend a pre-owned Concord Mariner quartz.

We'll find you something. Stand by.
Yes the Concord Mariner's are great watches. Online pictures really don't look good but in person they are fantastic. The Costco near me has a bunch of them all the time for around +/- $500
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

Not quartz, and at the high end of your budget used, but the Nth divers are awfully nice. 300m wr and thin. Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

The Oceanstar at 11.8 thick is an amazingly handsome watch, and with the titanium case, a real winner. Maybe after I get the thin watch I am seeking, I’ll splurge. In the meantime, focused in on a watch that’s 10-11mm, which is not easy.

Concord Mariner is new to me. I see one on Amazon for $770, which is a hefty tag for a quartz watch but, maybe worth it. 10mm thin with bezel, so if the lume is there, that could be the center of the target. Don’t think I’d wear it for rough work at that price, though, but will look into it. Thanks!

Yes on the Nth divers; have been watching them out of the corner of my eye for months. Looks like all their offerings are 11.5mm thick, yes? Which is not bad for an auto. Tho I’ve got a somewhat similar Borealis that’s slightly thinner. It has amazingly good lume.

What I find frustrating is that if you go with “thin” and “ro bez” you almost always have to give up “good lume.” Why is that?!?

I have ONE watch that I like a lot, that runs pretty well on all three cylinders. 10.4mm, surprisingly good lume (on hands only, its downfall), and ro-bez. It’s a titanium Wenger Off Road (reviewed elsewhere on this forum). It was this watch that made me think my wish was POSSIBLE, if I could just find it. If this Wenger had good lume on the dial (and preferably also bezel) my search would be over. Oddly this was a very inexpensive watch. So I don’t think throwing more money at the problem will necessarily get me my thin-lumey-robez watch. But WIS don’t have that much experience with the quartz watches, so many of those go “unseen.”
Unrepentant Quartzer
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Bolster wrote:The Oceanstar at 11.8 thick is an amazingly handsome watch, and with the titanium case, a real winner. Maybe after I get the thin watch I am seeking, I’ll splurge. In the meantime, focused in on a watch that’s 10-11mm, which is not easy.

Concord Mariner is new to me. I see one on Amazon for $770, which is a hefty tag for a quartz watch but, maybe worth it. 10mm thin with bezel, so if the lume is there, that could be the center of the target. Don’t think I’d wear it for rough work at that price, though, but will look into it. Thanks!

Yes on the Nth divers; have been watching them out of the corner of my eye for months. Looks like all their offerings are 11.5mm thick, yes? Which is not bad for an auto. Tho I’ve got a somewhat similar Borealis that’s slightly thinner. It has amazingly good lume.

What I find frustrating is that if you go with “thin” and “ro bez” you almost always have to give up “good lume.” Why is that?!?

I have ONE watch that I like a lot, that runs pretty well on all three cylinders. 10.4mm, surprisingly good lume (on hands only, its downfall), and ro-bez. It’s a titanium Wenger Off Road (reviewed elsewhere on this forum). It was this watch that made me think my wish was POSSIBLE, if I could just find it. If this Wenger had good lume on the dial (and preferably also bezel) my search would be over. Oddly this was a very inexpensive watch. So I don’t think throwing more money at the problem will necessarily get me my thin-lumey-robez watch. But WIS don’t have that much experience with the quartz watches, so many of those go “unseen.”
Another thought, not sure how plausible, but buy the Wenger you like, and take it to a good watchmaker and see if they can apply good lume on it?
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Yeah, maybe so. I don't actually like Wenger watches much, but the idea of finding a thin, robez watch and getting it lumed to suit is worth exploring.

'Droid, do you have a recommendation for a watchmaker who's good with aftermarket applied lume?
Unrepentant Quartzer
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Bolster wrote:Yeah, maybe so. I don't actually like Wenger watches much, but the idea of finding a thin, robez watch and getting it lumed to suit is worth exploring.

'Droid, do you have a recommendation for a watchmaker who's good with aftermarket applied lume?
Unfortunately I don't know of any experienced watchmakers for things like that. Around here in Canada we have hardly any watchmakers. I would just check locally in your city and call some.
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Any other brands or models come to mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unrepentant Quartzer
bb_sub
MoT Member

Post by bb_sub »

Bolster wrote:Any other brands or models come to mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will second the NTH sub. A little above the $500 limit, but it wears so well.
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Yes, Nth is a winner. I need one for sure. Love it on a canvas strap, too. Still not the watch I'm going to wear while operating machinery, though; too nice for that. I'm guessing aluminum not ceramic bezel?
Unrepentant Quartzer