We're Moving!

Click for more info.

LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Post by Stretch44 »

Split-Time wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:22 pm I just stepped out on the back patio to take this and wasn’t even thinking about today being Vostok Vednesday. My thought was to take a picture with the least expensive watch that I really enjoy along with my new watch which magically showed up today after going missing in the UPS tracking system :evil: .

Needless to say, I am having a difficult time focusing during my first day or alternating working from home and the office. 8-)

Beautiful!!! Is this the one from DavidSW? Or did you find another? Welcome back into the club!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:36 pm
Split-Time wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:22 pm I just stepped out on the back patio to take this and wasn’t even thinking about today being Vostok Vednesday. My thought was to take a picture with the least expensive watch that I really enjoy along with my new watch which magically showed up today after going missing in the UPS tracking system :evil: .

Needless to say, I am having a difficult time focusing during my first day or alternating working from home and the office. 8-)

Beautiful!!! Is this the one from DavidSW? Or did you find another? Welcome back into the club!
At some point I wanted to thank you for indirectly influencing my decision, so here is the story.

I have been looking at these watches online for three years. It hasn't been a money thing as much as "how does this help our family?" It doesn't. We have a lot of moving parts right now, but I have a professional and personal milestone coming up and had been thinking, "why not do it now?" So when [mention]whoagorgeous[/mention] posted the DSW deal I jumped on it within a couple of minutes, with my wife's blessing. When the watch arrived I was very happy with the condition, including the bracelet. Then there was the issue with the chronograph. David was great...called me that day and sent a return label that evening. You asked about the age, and when I looked at the serial number I started to think about the polishing job that it had. If this was going to be a "forever watch," did I just cheap out? Obviously I wasn't happy with the mechanical issue and that made me think about the service that it would receive and the service it may need in the future.

Around this time I found a local watch which was only months old with warranty. I contacted the seller and it had sold earlier in the day. There was also a Speedy in Nashville that was from early 2017 but looked to be in great shape. The seller called me and after talking for a minuted said, "oh you are talking about that Speedmaster. It sold yesterday."

This watches warranty card is dated February 25, 2020 so it has almost five years of warranty. All of the plastic and tags are in place. It also has the full collectors kit, which I said I wasn't concerned with but now am very happy to have. I talked with the seller Sunday and he shipped the watch out Monday and sent me the tracking info. Annnnndd "poof!" It went dark. The seller was great. He was a lot more worried than me...obviously! But I was starting to think that someone was telling me that I really didn't need to do this right now :lol: .

TLDR - I bought or tried to buy four Speedmasters in ten days. Thank you to[mention]Stretch44[/mention] for having me take a close look at the back of the original watch that I purchased!
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:

At some point I wanted to thank you for indirectly influencing my decision, so here is the story.

I have been looking at these watches online for three years. It hasn't been a money thing as much as "how does this help our family?" It doesn't. We have a lot of moving parts right now, but I have a professional and personal milestone coming up and had been thinking, "why not do it now?" So when [mention]whoagorgeous[/mention] posted the DSW deal I jumped on it within a couple of minutes, with my wife's blessing. When the watch arrived I was very happy with the condition, including the bracelet. Then there was the issue with the chronograph. David was great...called me that day and sent a return label that evening. You asked about the age, and when I looked at the serial number I started to think about the polishing job that it had. If this was going to be a "forever watch," did I just cheap out? Obviously I wasn't happy with the mechanical issue and that made me think about the service that it would receive and the service it may need in the future.

Around this time I found a local watch which was only months old with warranty. I contacted the seller and it had sold earlier in the day. There was also a Speedy in Nashville that was from early 2017 but looked to be in great shape. The seller called me and after talking for a minuted said, "oh you are talking about that Speedmaster. It sold yesterday."

This watches warranty card is dated February 25, 2020 so it has almost five years of warranty. All of the plastic and tags are in place. It also has the full collectors kit, which I said I wasn't concerned with but now am very happy to have. I talked with the seller Sunday and he shipped the watch out Monday and sent me the tracking info. Annnnndd "poof!" It went dark. The seller was great. He was a lot more worried than me...obviously! But I was starting to think that someone was telling me that I really didn't need to do this right now [emoji38] .

TLDR - I bought or tried to buy four Speedmasters in ten days. Thank you to[mention]Stretch44[/mention] for having me take a close look at the back of the original watch that I purchased!
Congrats on the pickup bud! Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to size the bracelet yourself. It can be done, but I gave up and took it to the local shop. Some crazy sticky loctite that requires heat to loosen. Well worth the $20.

Also, awesome that you got the full kit. It really is quite the presentation!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm
Split-Time wrote:

I have been looking at these watches online for three years. It hasn't been a money thing as much as "how does this help our family?" It doesn't. We have a lot of moving parts right now, but I have a professional and personal milestone coming up and had been thinking, "why not do it now?" So when @whoagorgeous posted the DSW deal I jumped on it within a couple of minutes, with my wife's blessing. When the watch arrived I was very happy with the condition, including the bracelet. Then there was the issue with the chronograph. David was great...called me that day and sent a return label that evening. You asked about the age, and when I looked at the serial number I started to think about the polishing job that it had. If this was going to be a "forever watch," did I just cheap out? Obviously I wasn't happy with the mechanical issue and that made me think about the service that it would receive and the service it may need in the future.

This watches warranty card is dated February 25, 2020 so it has almost five years of warranty. All of the plastic and tags are in place. It also has the full collectors kit, which I said I wasn't concerned with but now am very happy to have. I talked with the seller Sunday and he shipped the watch out Monday and sent me the tracking info. Annnnndd "poof!" It went dark. The seller was great. He was a lot more worried than me...obviously! But I was starting to think that someone was telling me that I really didn't need to do this right now [emoji38] .

TLDR - I bought or tried to buy four Speedmasters in ten days. Thank you to@Stretch44 for having me take a close look at the back of the original watch that I purchased!
Congrats on the pickup bud! Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to size the bracelet yourself. It can be done, but I gave up and took it to the local shop. Some crazy sticky loctite that requires heat to loosen. Well worth the $20.

Thank you, buddy! I was going to message you and Stretch to talk about the bracelet but you just made my mind up for me. Didn't you take a trip to the local smoke shop to procure a heating implement :lol: ? I don't have an Omega boutique near me but I will check with the local AD when things get back to normal. There is a good chance that I will pick up a used bracelet so I don't stress out about beating this one up. Desk diving is a good portion of my job :? .
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Split-Time wrote:
Split-Time wrote:

I have been looking at these watches online for three years. It hasn't been a money thing as much as "how does this help our family?" It doesn't. We have a lot of moving parts right now, but I have a professional and personal milestone coming up and had been thinking, "why not do it now?" So when @whoagorgeous posted the DSW deal I jumped on it within a couple of minutes, with my wife's blessing. When the watch arrived I was very happy with the condition, including the bracelet. Then there was the issue with the chronograph. David was great...called me that day and sent a return label that evening. You asked about the age, and when I looked at the serial number I started to think about the polishing job that it had. If this was going to be a "forever watch," did I just cheap out? Obviously I wasn't happy with the mechanical issue and that made me think about the service that it would receive and the service it may need in the future.

TLDR - I bought or tried to buy four Speedmasters in ten days. Thank you to@Stretch44 for having me take a close look at the back of the original watch that I purchased!

Thank you, buddy! I was going to message you and Stretch to talk about the bracelet but you just made my mind up for me. Didn't you take a trip to the local smoke shop to procure a heating implement [emoji38] ? I don't have an Omega boutique near me but I will check with the local AD when things get back to normal. There is a good chance that I will pick up a used bracelet so I don't stress out about beating this one up. Desk diving is a good portion of my job :? .
Dang I'm so jealous of all you speedy owners! I will definitely have one on my wrist one day. Congrats on the watch despite all the going back and forth between other sellers. Looks like it worked out!

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Split-Time wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm

This watches warranty card is dated February 25, 2020 so it has almost five years of warranty. All of the plastic and tags are in place. It also has the full collectors kit, which I said I wasn't concerned with but now am very happy to have. I talked with the seller Sunday and he shipped the watch out Monday and sent me the tracking info. Annnnndd "poof!" It went dark. The seller was great. He was a lot more worried than me...obviously! But I was starting to think that someone was telling me that I really didn't need to do this right now :lol: .

Congrats!! Glad you got the watch you've always wanted. For me it was the same issue: is this really a smart decision? The more I thought about it, the more I knew that I would never sell the watch and that I would eventually pass it down to my son or daughter (whoever gets the bug). The collectors kit is also super awesome. I actually use it to hold my Speedy everyday. It's so fun to open up the big box and play with all the goodies. The one downside to getting my Speedy is that I've already purchased two more Omegas and a pricey Hamilton. I would have never imagined spending that on watches just a few years ago, but buying my Speedy kinda broke the seal.

Cheers!! And see you next #SpeedyTuesday!

This was yesterday

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Stretch44 wrote:
Split-Time wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Congrats!! Glad you got the watch you've always wanted. For me it was the same issue: is this really a smart decision? The more I thought about it, the more I knew that I would never sell the watch and that I would eventually pass it down to my son or daughter (whoever gets the bug). The collectors kit is also super awesome. I actually use it to hold my Speedy everyday. It's so fun to open up the big box and play with all the goodies. The one downside to getting my Speedy is that I've already purchased two more Omegas and a pricey Hamilton. I would have never imagined spending that on watches just a few years ago, but buying my Speedy kinda broke the seal.

Cheers!! And see you next #SpeedyTuesday!

This was yesterday

Nice watch or whatever. Details on that sandwich though!!!!

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:
Split-Time wrote:

Thank you, buddy! I was going to message you and Stretch to talk about the bracelet but you just made my mind up for me. Didn't you take a trip to the local smoke shop to procure a heating implement [emoji38] ? I don't have an Omega boutique near me but I will check with the local AD when things get back to normal. There is a good chance that I will pick up a used bracelet so I don't stress out about beating this one up. Desk diving is a good portion of my job :? .
The torch was for Cyclops removal, but good memory! Yeah, this bracelet is a son of a gun. Felt weird going to the AD to have a bracelet Sized, but far better than scratching it up. Also, remember not to lose the spring bars. Every aftermarket one I tried made the end links fit loose. Had to figure out what strap I had used them on lol.

whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Split-Time wrote:

Wonderful story. It'll make you appreciative of your purchase even more!
Wear in great health!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 pm
Stretch44 wrote: This was yesterday

Haha... it's from Mundos Sandwiches in downtown Monterey. It's about a one minute walk from my office and I go pretty often...so good. The sandwich is the Mundos pork: Slow cooked pork, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, "Mundos" aioli, and cheese on fresh ciabatta. Making me want one just writing this. The have a ton of great sandwiches and burger, but this is my go to.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Two timezone Thursday?
89FD07B6-3F74-4F0E-8127-2A6F581B3DB8.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

watchpalooza wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 am Two timezone Thursday?

89FD07B6-3F74-4F0E-8127-2A6F581B3DB8.jpeg
Why not? :lol:

I was going to play “two crown Thursday,” plus whatever we call Nato Thursday. Figured everyone was tired of seeing the yellow submarine...and I was ready for a change, too.

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Stretch44 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 pm
Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 pm
Stretch44 wrote: This was yesterday

Haha... it's from Mundos Sandwiches in downtown Monterey. It's about a one minute walk from my office and I go pretty often...so good. The sandwich is the Mundos pork: Slow cooked pork, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, "Mundos" aioli, and cheese on fresh ciabatta. Making me want one just writing this. The have a ton of great sandwiches and burger, but this is my go to.
I was just thinking that's a pretty big bite size haha!
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Two Crown Thursday compliant. I can hear this sucker ticking at freeway speeds but it only adds to its charm.
ImageImage

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

NATO and beverage compliant tonight. Beautiful spring day in SC and getting out of the house is a necessity. Also, saw this sign while I was on my way home from the store and had to snag a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk