We're Moving!

Click for more info.

LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Post by Split-Time »

I made it until about 4:30pm before I broke down and put the speedmaster on. This leather is what I had available in 20mm at the moment that wasn't black. All of my leather is cheap :lol: .

Oh, because we have rules....

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Rabirnie wrote:NATO and beverage compliant tonight. Beautiful spring day in SC and getting out of the house is a necessity. Also, saw this sign while I was on my way home from the store and had to snag a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took a second look to spot the beverage compliance. I like your style bud![emoji41]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:I made it until about 4:30pm before I broke down and put the speedmaster on. This leather is what I had available in 20mm at the moment that wasn't black. All of my leather is cheap [emoji38] .

[emoji7] looks great! And I think it was Stretch who mentioned that straps really accentuate those beautiful curved lugs. Also, have you found yourself timing like literally everything yet?!? [emoji23]

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm
Split-Time wrote:I made it until about 4:30pm before I broke down and put the speedmaster on. This leather is what I had available in 20mm at the moment that wasn't black. All of my leather is cheap [emoji38] .

[emoji7] looks great! And I think it was Stretch who mentioned that straps really accentuate those beautiful curved lugs. Also, have you found yourself timing like literally everything yet?!? [emoji23]

Pictures do not do this watch justice. And I have looked at a LOT of pictures. Stretch was right.

When I dug that strap out, I said to myself, “this isn’t going to look right. Might as well skip this step and go to a NATO.” As soon as I put it on I said, “this isn’t too shabby :lol:
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Pictures do not do this watch justice. And I have looked at a LOT of pictures. Stretch was right.

When I dug that strap out, I said to myself, “this isn’t going to look right. Might as well skip this step and go to a NATO.” As soon as I put it on I said, “this isn’t too shabby :lol:
I can't believe you were able to wait until 4:30 p.m! Looks fantastic on the brown leather. I had mine on a brown racing strap from two-stitch for awhile and then an Apollo strap from Nick Mankey. Really liked the racing and may go back soon.

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Rabirnie wrote:NATO and beverage compliant tonight. Beautiful spring day in SC and getting out of the house is a necessity. Also, saw this sign while I was on my way home from the store and had to snag a pic.

Took a second look to spot the beverage compliance. I like your style bud![emoji41]

Haha hard to push uphill and indulge!
Here’s what I was drinking. It seemed an appropriate beverage for the current reality.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Stretch44 wrote:
Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm [emoji7] looks great! And I think it was Stretch who mentioned that straps really accentuate those beautiful curved lugs. Also, have you found yourself timing like literally everything yet?!? [emoji23]

When I dug that strap out, I said to myself, “this isn’t going to look right. Might as well skip this step and go to a NATO.” As soon as I put it on I said, “this isn’t too shabby [emoji38] ”
I can't believe you were able to wait until 4:30 p.m! Looks fantastic on the brown leather. I had mine on a brown racing strap from two-stitch for awhile and then an Apollo strap from Nick Mankey. Really liked the racing and may go back soon.

I was sad I missed out on those apollo Mankey straps. I ordered this one(black), plus a couple Bond straps. I should have asked you though, how do you like the mankey strap? Never tried one, yet ordered 3 [emoji23]

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Also, that Brown racing strap is straight fire!!!

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:01 pm I was sad I missed out on those apollo Mankey straps. I ordered this one(black), plus a couple Bond straps. I should have asked you though, how do you like the mankey strap? Never tried one, yet ordered 3 [emoji23]

They're super comfortable, like PJs for your watch. I also picked up the orange Apollo and have been contemplating a bond strap. Just saw he's having a sale, so I might get one.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Stir crazy compliance? OK, it’s at least on a NATO.
1994 Timex Data Link 50. $9 shipped from eBay. It cleaned up well. Now I need to build a cable with microprocessor to sent signals to the sensor through LED.

Anyway, this is a space watch. It was used on several missions for the number of alarms ~50 that can be computer programmed using a CRT or LED adapter cable. Really cools stuff. It cleaned up nicely and is a really interesting watch for so little money.

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Sporkboy wrote:Stir crazy compliance? OK, it’s at least on a NATO.
1994 Timex Data Link 50. $9 shipped from eBay. It cleaned up well. Now I need to build a cable with microprocessor to sent signals to the sensor through LED.

Anyway, this is a space watch. It was used on several missions for the number of alarms ~50 that can be computer programmed using a CRT or LED adapter cable. Really cools stuff. It cleaned up nicely and is a really interesting watch for so little money.

“Now I need to build a cable with microprocessor to send signals to the sensor through LED.”

Uhhhhh what? I need to know more. I am so clueless but this sounds so awesome. I’m thinking it might not be the simplest thing to explain to a dunce such as myself, however, I’m all ears if you can share the build and some additional background.

This is another reason I love this site and the Legion. I learn something new about watches or the world just about every day. Had no clue these went to space and could be found for such a snip!

Sporkboy
MoT Member

LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Post by Sporkboy »

Rabirnie wrote:

“Now I need to build a cable with microprocessor to send signals to the sensor through LED.”

Uhhhhh what? I need to know more. I am so clueless but this sounds so awesome. I’m thinking it might not be the simplest thing to explain to a dunce such as myself, however, I’m all ears if you can share the build and some additional background.

This is another reason I love this site and the Legion. I learn something new about watches or the world just about every day. Had no clue these went to space and could be found for such a snip!

The circle at 12 is an optical sensor and was designed to receive a series of flashes from a CRT monitor or a, now expensive, LED laptop adapter. There was software that came with the watch so that you could program in alarms, anniversaries, to do items and phone numbers.

There is a really great Wikipedia page on these watches including the space connection
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

The old LED adapters need a parallel port (or USB adapter), but someone figured that you can use a small arduino to do the job. Should be fairly easy to do...back in my office. http://feryance.com/timex-datalink/

The other space watch I have is the DW-5600, which set me back $25, so some space watches are very affordable. This is an odd one though, which makes me like it more.

There is a WUS page with a lot of great photos. Mine is the 70302.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.wat ... ml%3famp=1

Edit: for me the downside is that there is no countdown timer:(
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Split-Time wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 pm
Is that an Apollo Command Module in background? I need pics and more info!

Field watch compliance. Happy Friday!

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 am
Rabirnie wrote:

The circle at 12 is an optical sensor and was designed to receive a series of flashes from a CRT monitor or a, now expensive, LED laptop adapter. There was software that came with the watch so that you could program in alarms, anniversaries, to do items and phone numbers.

There is a really great Wikipedia page on these watches including the space connection
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

The old LED adapters need a parallel port (or USB adapter), but someone figured that you can use a small arduino to do the job. Should be fairly easy to do...back in my office. http://feryance.com/timex-datalink/

The other space watch I have is the DW-5600, which set me back $25, so some space watches are very affordable. This is an odd one though, which makes me like it more.

There is a WUS page with a lot of great photos. Mine is the 70302.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.wat ... ml%3famp=1

Edit: for me the downside is that there is no countdown timer:(
Thank you for that link, Sporkboy. It was interesting to read the comments from the crew of Space Station Expedition 1 regarding the watch. Let me know how your progress goes. I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 95, and while I don't normally like to tinker with computers, that watch could be a fun project if the software is still available.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Been a while!

In case it's required, 24hr markers are in my head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk