We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Here is why you shouldn't buy a Ginault watch, and more reasons why WUS is shady

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Here is why you shouldn't buy a Ginault watch, and more reasons why WUS is shady

Post by MoT »

Dec1967 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:40 pm I'm the OP of the thread that got shut down - Dec1968 (I typoed making my login here on my iPhone - lol)

The Ginault thread was and always has been thugs defending their brand.

I want to clarify what I wasn't allowed to say on WUS. If that's not permitted, mods please delete.

I have always loved the Rolex 5517. I started with a Steinhart OVM to gain a 'close to original' look and feel. Back in 2014 or so. I had also stumbled across the TC threads and was amazed at how close these guys got. I did exchange a few messages with him. Was cool, but I wasn't comfortable buying a fake watch. Plus who knows if I would get ripped off. Just felt too shady. Hard pass.

Fast forward a few years and a few other watches (Armida, Helson, modded Invicta, a few more Steinharts, Seiko's, etc, all legit) and then eventually I did purchase two fake dials (I think $20-$30 each) and one cheap folded clasp and put those onto an Invicta 8926 to just see what it looked like. Period. Full stop. Didn't like the way it made me feel - I knew I had a fake (which I did, obviously). Didn't feel comfortable with them. Two Invicta watches, that's it.

Still modded a few Seiko's and bought and sold some watches.

Found Ginault in late 2017/early 2018. Wow what a nice watch, so perfect in execution. Thought to myself 'This might be a good watch to get, it looks well made, very well priced, and the reviews seem good'.

Bought a used one. Had a movement issue. Spoke to 'John' (which we now know is TC) and he agreed to repair it. Felt good. Bought a new one. Had two Ginault's.

When I wore them out, I had more than a few people notice them and say 'Nice Rolex'.

Ugh. It made my stomach turn.

I felt like it was the fake dialed Invicta experience, but on a larger scale. I decided then that the mod or replica type watches were not for me. Ever. I made a major decision.

* Get rid of whatever wasn't genuine.

Bought an Omega 2254 and sold both Ginault watches. I had traded one Invicta off with the express agreement that the dial be removed and the buyer agreed. * The other sits in my underwear drawer. It's really a reminder to me of how far I'd fallen. I will never wear it. I do keep it as that sole reminder. I fear that someone else may try to pass it off as genuine.

2018/early 2019. Was working for a guy with a gen Submariner who knew I was a watch guy. Expressed an interest in buying a fake one for when he went fishing or working around his house. Not my bag, but he is a guy I've known over 20 years and this was for him to not wear out in public, just for him to wear while banging around his house - so I got on the forums and asked questions.

That's it.

It angers me I didn't, but I should have said ALL of that up front. I never deleted pics or hid anything, just didn't realize that the zealots would attack me. But as everyone can plainly see, if my intent was to lie, I would not have left any evidence to 'out me'. Maybe that makes me naive. I honestly don't care what a faceless internet stranger thinks of me, but it did sting. I had built up a decent reputation on WUS and I was stupid by not saying what I should have said up front. That's my mistake and I own it 100%. I learned a valuable and powerful lesson.

People on the internet are dang ruthless.

I messaged many people on WUS and expressed my apologies and told them the same thing I'm saying here. Even told DeepDweller (got no response).

So there you go. Didn't get to share that anywhere else but I felt it appropriate to share here.

Thank you for being so forthright about your experiences. We all make mistakes and it is our capacity to learn and to grow from those mistakes that give us integrity. It's also pretty dang brave to come out and admit wrongs.

Also, thank you for joining. I hope you stick around. I think you'll find that we're growing a pretty good community here. Oh, and if you want me to change your username to Dec1968, I can easily do so.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody