We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Name a movie that you recently enjoyed

Have a favorite band? Book? Movie? Discuss everything entertainment here.
flypanam
MoT Member

Re: Name a movie that you recently enjoyed

Post by flypanam »

Oh man. Rewatched this tonight. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, and I think this is one of the most underrated scifi thrillers out there, on the same tier as Event Horizon and Europa Report (in terms of scifi thrillers that either didn't draw the best critic reviews or audience responses). It improves upon the classics, like Alien with the monster design and many survival horror movies before it, but with a unique aesthetic. It combines the best elements of those movies that came before it to create something unique. The diverse cast of characters on board the crashed ship - the frontier prospectors, the high society relic collector with an egyptian sarcophagus full of booze, the muslim imam and his disciples on a pilgrimage, stowaway kid with a secret that plays a big part in the last act, and of course the main trio of the morally conflicted docking pilot (Rada Mitchel), corrupt bounty hunter (Cole Hauser), and of course the wild card criminal, Riddick (Vin Diesel)... man it's so perfect. And the way the cinematography plays with color palettes and the dichotomy of light vs dark. Wow. The movie evolves to the point that the last act looks nothing like the first, but also complements it perfectly. One of the most underrated scifi thrillers ever in my opinion. Could watch this over and over.

Edit- i know I'm a nerd for this stuff but again that monster design. The different life cycle stages of the aliens. The flying swarms of carnivorous "bats" that single handedly inspired the design of the "kryll" from the immensely popular gears of war games. When has a design from a relatively low budget B movie influenced a core design of a triple A console-defining intellectual property? And also launched the career of the main Fast and Furious protagonist (though Diesel himself is a nerd st heart and these scifi movies are passion projects for him). Sorry just geeking out.

Scruffy believes in this forum
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Just pulled this one out of the depths of my closet. Its purposefully campy but the effects are out of this world and the slow, lumbering movements of the mechs and the monsters really sell the immense sense of scale. And at the same time show whats wrong with the all the transformers movies. The whole thing is one extended eyegasm. Also Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, and Charlie Day are always wins.

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Im spending tonight with my mother who decided to visit by herself for Thanksgiving weekend (no big family events for us). She's a fan of the older classics (as am I) so were watching back to back classic westerns tonight which i picked out since I'm a movie nerd.

First, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, directed by John Huston who won the academy awards for both direction and screenplay, with Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston (father of John) who won the best supporting actor Oscar as well (not to mention golden globes for the Huston father-son duo as well).

Followed by Butch Cassidy and the Sunshine Kid, with Paul Newman, Robert Redford in a role that propelled him to stardom, and Katharine Ross in an equally awarded performance. A movie which won too many awards in general to list.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

flypanam wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:06 pm Im spending tonight with my mother who decided to visit by herself for Thanksgiving weekend (no big family events for us). She's a fan of the older classics (as am I) so were watching back to back classic westerns tonight which i picked out since I'm a movie nerd.

First, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, directed by John Huston who won the academy awards for both direction and screenplay, with Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston (father of John) who won the best supporting actor Oscar as well (not to mention golden globes for the Huston father-son duo as well).

And the most parodied line from that film that found further fame in cinematic greats such as "Blazing Saddles" and "UHF":

""Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:23 pm
flypanam wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:06 pm Im spending tonight with my mother who decided to visit by herself for Thanksgiving weekend (no big family events for us). She's a fan of the older classics (as am I) so were watching back to back classic westerns tonight which i picked out since I'm a movie nerd.

And the most parodied line from that film that found further fame in cinematic greats such as "Blazing Saddles" and "UHF":

""Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Ah yes, Mel Brooks and Weird Al, two great comedic geniuses of recent times who are both so similar in their relentless quests to create the ultimate parodies, but also pretty dissimilar in the way they actually compose and present those parodies. God bless them both. Blazing Saddles could never be made today, but weird al has always tried to be a bit more family friendly, though no less biting in his own ways. Though I guess stuff like spaceballs and men in tights (two of my favorites growing up) are still basically family friendly. But in general.. great taste in comedy, MoT 👌
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I watched Marauders the other night and was pleasantly entertained. It was a pretty decent movie for an action flick.

marauders_official-poster.jpg
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

Here you go fellas.

And one of many funny lines from the movie. I'll let you folks find the clip since this is a family friendly forum. lol

"Work, work, work, work,work, work, work, work, work. Hello Boys, Have a good nights rest? I missed you."
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Rewatched the BEST Christmas movie EVER tonight.
If you haven't seen Rare Exports, do it. Do it now.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Has the holiday season left you feeling... *too* cheerful?

Well then I invite you to do what I did and watch City of God.

If you dont mind the subtitles (or can speak Portuguese) its a beautiful and enthralling film about the effects of gang violence in Brazil. And one of the best films you'll ever see according to Roger Ebert. Also, it will absolutely f*ck you up mentally and emotionally. Here's just one of many such scenes you'll be treated to (NSFW):

But really, its one of those rare films that you'll remember long after watching, and may in fact never leave you at all.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

City of God is AMAZING.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:48 pm City of God is AMAZING.
I have a mental subcategory of movies labeled "absolute genius films that I'll never watch again." Other examples include Requiem for a Dream and Grave of the Fireflies. Just too depressing but I'm glad I watched them.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Another amazing film is The Stolen Children: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stolen_Children

It's now available on Amazon:

The subject matter is part of life's reality, sadly, and grim, but the film is beautifully done in so many ways. I was a cinephile (still am I guess) and that film made an indeliable mark.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Hillbilly Elegy - True Story

NeedWatch12Step
MoT Member

Post by NeedWatch12Step »

Not the usual Holiday movie, but in many ways it was ahead of its time. I always think of it when I duck out of my office through the back door for lunch.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

This is a great movie.

NeedWatch12Step wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:20 am Not the usual Holiday movie, but in many ways it was ahead of its time. I always think of it when I duck out of my office through the back door for lunch.