As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Android speaker problem (and solution)

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Android speaker problem (and solution)

Post by peskydonut »

Disclaimer: I swear I'm not shilling here.

--

Lately, every few days, especially when I come back from the store I've been disinfecting my phone. This morning I had just returned from a quick grocery run and did my normal routine: pulled the phone from its case, wiped the phone down with a Clorox wipe and washed the case with soap and water.

A few minutes later I noticed the speaker wasn't working. The headphone jack worked, Bluetooth worked, but no sound came from the speaker. I spent about 40mins fiddling with settings, killing apps, restarting, etc. Nothing. I was feeling pretty dejected; this phone was less than 2 months old and I just finished getting it tuned to my liking.

Because of the timing, in the back of my mind I wondered whether my cleaning had ruined the phone. The wipes were barely wet and I was being careful, but still...

After getting nowhere with the OS, in my desperation I went to the Play store and typed something like "fix speaker". I was hoping for an app that would reset something deep in the bowels of the Android subsystem and save me from having to do a factory reset or worse.

This was the first app that caught my attention: Speaker cleaner - Remove water & fix sound. Having absolutely zero expectation that this app would give me anything but malware, I installed and ran it anyway.

Soon, my phone's speaker began to vibrate with sound at different frequencies. I was absolutely shocked to discover that after the vibrating stopped my phone had its voice back! Hallelujah!! I immediately paid the $2.99 in support of the developer and gave the app a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the store. This thing really saved my bacon!
Living a comeback montage.