MoT's Watch Deal Forum is the resource for watch and watch accessory deals sourced by enthusiasts like you. Click here to join today, and once logged in you'll be able to take part in great discussion and camaraderie about the hobby you love.

As a reminder, even though MoT's is a free site, we do rely on two methods lights on. One is a referral generator that creates (mostly) unobtrusive links. This depends on the site being whitelisted in any ad-blocking software you use. If you could please whitelist this site, we would be ever thankful. (We promise there are no pop-ups, pop-unders or other annoying distractions.)

The other method is donations from members and visitors. These are completely voluntary and there is no obligation. Any donations go directly towards site operations and are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate today.

Thank you!

Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
Boourns
Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 790 times

Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Post by Boourns » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Had an idea: A button for the HUISABH and other deal threads to indicate that you actually bought the deal. The function would be similar to the "like" button now. It would just show how many members actually bought the watch. Not only would it make for another cool stat (most purchased deal of the month/year), it might help people researching new pieces. I.e., if you see a member who bought a particular watch, you could ask him/her about it.
These users liked the author Boourns for the post (total 5):
TheJohnPyinzburgherBostonCharliepgcitysistem_32
TheJohnP
Has liked: 2082 times
Been liked: 1254 times

Re: Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Post by TheJohnP » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm

This is a great idea.
These users liked the author TheJohnP for the post:
Boourns
I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.
ManOnTime
Site Admin
Has liked: 531 times
Been liked: 1953 times

Post by ManOnTime » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm

I like this idea a lot. I fear, however, that it would require aome custom coding that is above my pay grade.

I'll do some research and see if there is anything similar out there.
These users liked the author ManOnTime for the post:
Boourns
Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
yinzburgher
Has liked: 1953 times
Been liked: 1749 times

Post by yinzburgher » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm

I agree this is a really cool idea. I don't think the number will ever be accurate. Over 750 of our 1200+ members have never even posted once. While most of those members aren't even signing in and checking out the forum regularly, a small percentage of "in-house lurkers" are buying the best deals often and I don't foresee them suddenly chiming in to say so, even if it's anonymous. Nevertheless I think it's a great idea and could be not only interesting but helpful. And even if it doesn't happen or work out as conceived it might lead to other ideas.
These users liked the author yinzburgher for the post (total 2):
BoournsManOnTime
Boourns
Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 790 times

Post by Boourns » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm

yinzburgher wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm
I agree this is a really cool idea. I don't think the number will ever be accurate. Over 750 of our 1200+ members have never even posted once. While most of those members aren't even signing in and checking out the forum regularly, a small percentage of "in-house lurkers" are buying the best deals often and I don't foresee them suddenly chiming in to say so, even if it's anonymous. Nevertheless I think it's a great idea and could be not only interesting but helpful. And even if it doesn't happen or work out as conceived it might lead to other ideas.
Yeah it for sure wouldn't be statistically accurate due to participation bias (or whatever the right term for that idea is). But aside from being kind of fun and useful for research (along with maybe some unknown reasons) I think it would provide at least a qualitative evaluation of the popularity of deals among the members who choose to participate.

The stat could be the "Most Purchased Deal Among Members Who Chose to Disclose Their Purchase" or something. :lol:
These users liked the author Boourns for the post (total 2):
yinzburgherManOnTime
Sporkboy
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 1319 times

Post by Sporkboy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Boourns wrote:
yinzburgher wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm
Yeah it for sure wouldn't be statistically accurate due to participation bias (or whatever the right term for that idea is). But aside from being kind of fun and useful for research (along with maybe some unknown reasons) I think it would provide at least a qualitative evaluation of the popularity of deals among the members who choose to participate.

The stat could be the "Most Purchased Deal Among Members Who Chose to Disclose Their Purchase" or something. :lol:
I am pretty sure we already know what the most purchased deal is likely to be for 2019. Maybe we need a deal if the year award or something.