We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
Boourns
MoT Member

Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Post by Boourns »

Had an idea: A button for the HUISABH and other deal threads to indicate that you actually bought the deal. The function would be similar to the "like" button now. It would just show how many members actually bought the watch. Not only would it make for another cool stat (most purchased deal of the month/year), it might help people researching new pieces. I.e., if you see a member who bought a particular watch, you could ask him/her about it.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Idea: an "I bought it" button.

Post by TheJohnP »

This is a great idea.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I like this idea a lot. I fear, however, that it would require aome custom coding that is above my pay grade.

I'll do some research and see if there is anything similar out there.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I agree this is a really cool idea. I don't think the number will ever be accurate. Over 750 of our 1200+ members have never even posted once. While most of those members aren't even signing in and checking out the forum regularly, a small percentage of "in-house lurkers" are buying the best deals often and I don't foresee them suddenly chiming in to say so, even if it's anonymous. Nevertheless I think it's a great idea and could be not only interesting but helpful. And even if it doesn't happen or work out as conceived it might lead to other ideas.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm I agree this is a really cool idea. I don't think the number will ever be accurate. Over 750 of our 1200+ members have never even posted once. While most of those members aren't even signing in and checking out the forum regularly, a small percentage of "in-house lurkers" are buying the best deals often and I don't foresee them suddenly chiming in to say so, even if it's anonymous. Nevertheless I think it's a great idea and could be not only interesting but helpful. And even if it doesn't happen or work out as conceived it might lead to other ideas.
Yeah it for sure wouldn't be statistically accurate due to participation bias (or whatever the right term for that idea is). But aside from being kind of fun and useful for research (along with maybe some unknown reasons) I think it would provide at least a qualitative evaluation of the popularity of deals among the members who choose to participate.

The stat could be the "Most Purchased Deal Among Members Who Chose to Disclose Their Purchase" or something. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm I agree this is a really cool idea. I don't think the number will ever be accurate. Over 750 of our 1200+ members have never even posted once. While most of those members aren't even signing in and checking out the forum regularly, a small percentage of "in-house lurkers" are buying the best deals often and I don't foresee them suddenly chiming in to say so, even if it's anonymous. Nevertheless I think it's a great idea and could be not only interesting but helpful. And even if it doesn't happen or work out as conceived it might lead to other ideas.
Yeah it for sure wouldn't be statistically accurate due to participation bias (or whatever the right term for that idea is). But aside from being kind of fun and useful for research (along with maybe some unknown reasons) I think it would provide at least a qualitative evaluation of the popularity of deals among the members who choose to participate.

The stat could be the "Most Purchased Deal Among Members Who Chose to Disclose Their Purchase" or something. :lol:
I am pretty sure we already know what the most purchased deal is likely to be for 2019. Maybe we need a deal if the year award or something.