We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Spambots

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Spambots

Post by tjcdas »

Guys,

Anyway to send out emails to new members to confirm registration so they cant post until,hitying a link ect, to try and prevent out spam programs from signing up?

Just a thought to prevent a possible issue.

I am so happy to have the heads up thread back!!!

Thanks

Tom
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Spambots

Post by MoT »

tjcdas wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 am Guys,

Anyway to send out emails to new members to confirm registration so they cant post until,hitying a link ect, to try and prevent out spam programs from signing up?

Just a thought to prevent a possible issue.

I am so happy to have the heads up thread back!!!

Thanks

Tom
I have a non-machine readable test in place, and each registration is also run through a system that scans known databases for known spam ips, emails, usernames, etc, and prevents their registration. Email authentication was causing issues because of my old hosts paltry limit on outbound emails, but I will turn it back on.

So far so good, but of course no system is infallible. If anyone sees anything suspicious, please report it and I'll swing the ban hammer.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tjcdas
MoT Member

Re: Spambots

Post by tjcdas »

Great that you are on top of things!

Thanks

Tom