Minnesota Flag and State Seal Redesign

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Minnesota Flag and State Seal Redesign

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Final 3
mn-flag-finalists.jpg
mn-flag-finalists.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Original 6
six-flag-designs-mn-3204399208.jpg
six-flag-designs-mn-3204399208.jpg (54.78 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
Bottom Left was sadly eliminated and was the most popular in informal votes. (Over 55% of the 6 for the 10k votes recieved. Apparently, the committee didn't care for it and the flag designer wasn't open to many changes).

State Seal
Screenshot_20231214_212845_Samsung Internet.jpg
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: Minnesota Flag and State Seal Redesign

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Totally meaningless designs. They could be logos of online jewelers or something. They tell you nothing about the state. I'd keep the old design after ditching the goofy bird.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 pm Totally meaningless designs. They could be logos of online jewelers or something. They tell you nothing about the state. I'd keep the old design after ditching the goofy bird.
Sorry, that's the new state Seal. I couldn't find it but I believe they made some edits to that before finalizing (red eye, removing the French wording, and maybe the year MN was founded?).

Here's the old, "current" flag which features the current state Seal in the center.
c040cc1d-338c-4ae7-b3d7-cff10b7b8864_1140x641-2044019694.jpg

Edit:

The new state Seal is an absolute banger in my opinion.

Edit2: The committee presents this for the government to vote on in January. So it might get a bunch of nays. Nothing is garuanteed.
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

That old seal is busy.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 pm Totally meaningless designs. They could be logos of online jewelers or something. They tell you nothing about the state. I'd keep the old design after ditching the goofy bird.
I guess I just don't understand how one flag can be the clear cut favorite of the constituents, surpassing 50% in their informal vote, then get discarded without any reasons.

It seems the committee is a bunch of random people who don't really represent anyone.

For the final 3.

The tricolor flag reminds me of Texas North, but I'd live with it. Central star is probably a credit union, and the 2 waves is what I'm rooting for now but these are all subpar.

Apparently, in direct feedback from the public when the initially dwindled down to 6 the public was mostly negative.

Sometimes the most negative voices are the loudest but I wonder if the whole getting a unique and wholy Minnesotan flag is a lost cause now.
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I'm very happy with the new seal. I think it's very well done and has great Minnesota symbolism (loon, lakes, pine, wild rice, north star, etc). The flag, I am indifferent to, but almost anything is better than the current one.

The committee can still make changes to the proposed flags, and I hope they do. If I had to pick any of the proposed three, it would be the top-left.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

MoT wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:03 am I'm very happy with the new seal. I think it's very well done and has great Minnesota symbolism (loon, lakes, pine, wild rice, north star, etc). The flag, I am indifferent to, but almost anything is better than the current one.

The committee can still make changes to the proposed flags, and I hope they do. If I had to pick any of the proposed three, it would be the top-left.
The Minnesota State Emblems Redesign Commission will meet on Friday to discuss a final design for its favorite state flag, and has been presented with 86 variations of the three finalists to consider.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... -finalists

Guess we'll see what they come up with.

-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:21 am
MoT wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:03 am I'm very happy with the new seal. I think it's very well done and has great Minnesota symbolism (loon, lakes, pine, wild rice, north star, etc). The flag, I am indifferent to, but almost anything is better than the current one.

The Minnesota State Emblems Redesign Commission will meet on Friday to discuss a final design for its favorite state flag, and has been presented with 86 variations of the three finalists to consider.

--------

Looks like a third-world country.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:03 pm

--------

Perhaps, but there's also no racist/bigoted symbolism in this one.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

https://www.youtube.com/live/buGjsVT3Jo ... jfkoK4ItzR

They're going to remove all stripes. I guess at this point it doesn't bother me.

Also, the state Seal is against state law. Further, the minority report is going to state that the flag should be voted on by people and the committee may not have taken into account what the general populace wanted. (As they clearly discarded, without much consideration, the top 2 flags in informal votes).

Although, placing such a vote is also illegal under Minnesota law.

Sounds like the State Seal is because it includes Dakota language and that may or may not be illegal. This personally doesn't bother me, but clearly politicians can't get over such issues.
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Screenshot_20231219_113028_Samsung Internet.jpg
With the removal of the stripes it's less Texas like, so I don't mind it.

Also,

How the Star Tribune has chosen to cover it. :roll:

-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

That really says Minnesota to me.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

MoT wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:06 pm

--------

I don’t see any images of the original. Is this the racist and bigoted flag?
IMG_2857.jpeg
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:46 pm
--------

IMG_2857.jpeg
Yes. There is symbolism in that flag that is objectionable to many communities.

For example, the indigenous person headed west while the caucasian setter tills the land is evocative of the forced Dakota expulsion from Minnesota in 1863.

Also, it's just a terrible design that looks like it was drawn by someone who was told what drawing is but didn't know how to actually do it.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

MoT wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:22 am
Robotaz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:46 pm

IMG_2857.jpeg
Yes. There is symbolism in that flag that is objectionable to many communities.

For example, the indigenous person headed west while the caucasian setter tills the land is evocative of the forced Dakota expulsion from Minnesota in 1863.

Also, it's just a terrible design that looks like it was drawn by someone who was told what drawing is but didn't know how to actually do it.
I’m not sure we will ever make people happy even when we are plugged into a soup bath and fed our reality through a cord.

However, if the people of Minnesota want to change the flag, I’m a big supporter of communities doing as they please. State’s rights are what the Constitution is supposed to be based upon regardless of what the media and our Federal government tries to inflict on is.

As an outsider to Minnesota life but someone with native American ancestors on both sides of my family, it seems a bit preoccupied with the past. I don’t think there are many native Americans out there, like most people in the world today, that have time and energy to worry about flags. Maybe I’m wrong. If people think it’s a poor reflection of them, then it’s a bad deal and it should be changed. I say that as someone who thinks the historical significance of flags is silly, but I get it that others disagree.