Crown and stem replacement

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
dumberdrummer
MoT Member

Crown and stem replacement

Post by dumberdrummer »

Howdy y'all. Any idea on what I might (or should) expect to pay for crown and tube replacement (screw down crown) on an Alpina Startimer automatic (SW200 movement)? Is $250 highway robbery? TIA.

UPDATE: I did pay the $250 to a watchmaker (who will remain nameless, until a final resolution is to be had/not had). Got the watch back with the watchmaker stating that it was now 'fixed' after replacing the crown and tube. You probably see where this is going....repaired? Not so much. I bring it back to the watchmaker who 'confirmed' (if you wanna call it that) the crown is still not winding/screwing in as it should. He said he'll now send it directly to Alpina (and when I asked about how much more they were gonna charge me for that....he said "won't cost anything, you already paid". I'm sure sending it to Alpina won't be quick....so let's see how all this pans out over the next couple of months.
Last edited by dumberdrummer on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Crown and stem replacement

Post by TheJohnP »

Paging @cortman as he had a crown tube replaced on his Fortis.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Re: Crown and stem replacement

Post by Miggyd87 »

I once paid $30 for a stem replacement many years ago. (This price was the reason I started to buy watch tools and learn about some watchmaking)

$250 for a crown and tube doesn't sound wildly out of hand.

While the parts are relatively inexpensive, the labor is the expansive part (specialty tools, experience, etc)