We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Apps

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Apps

Post by watchpalooza »

The mobile phone offers great utility as a tool, due to apps for almost everything. For watch collecting there are apps ranging from timegraphers to price searching and collection management. Which apps do members use / recommend to support your addiction?

I have used the following:

Watch Tuner Timegrapher - OK for basic adjustment and regulation using the iphone headset microphone, but can be tricky to use with reliable results. Still prefer a real timegrapher to any of the apps.

Toolwatch - This app sucks for a couple reasons. One, its claimed link to the atomic clock for accurate time is dubious and inconsistent. Two, there is no way to sort or group the recorded watches which quickly becomes unmanageable for any large collection.

Chrono24 and Watchrecon - Just a frontends for these popular private watch sale websites

Watchbox - This appears to be an app for storing your collection, getting market valuations and following industry news. It also lets you accept offers for a watch you enter. I am only just exploring it now so cannot yet say whether it is any good.

Tapatalk - Not purely a watch app, but great for organizing all the various watch forums we belong to into one newsfeed and for quick posting on the go.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
bobusa
MoT Member

Re: Apps

Post by bobusa »

Clock Wave : sync your atomic watches anytime anywhere using this iOS only app
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

One app that I cannot recommend enough is Watchville. It takes articles from all watch related journalism sites and compiles into one place. So if you want to find out the latest news, reviews, upcoming releases, etc, you don't have to jump around to a number of different websites. In addition to the main sites that immediately come to mind like Hodinkee, Worn and Wound, A Blog To Watch, there are probably 15 other publications to read from. Articles are sorted by how recent and how popular they are. Awesome app!

THE SITE IS HERE BUT WHAT YOU REALLY SHOULD DO IS DOWNLOAD THE APP
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I use Evernote as my note management tool, and I keep notes with lists of watches I am interested in, information about watch(es) on order, and a note with my current watch collection list. A note management tool like this which is cloud-based and syncs between devices is very helpful because I can access those lists on my phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:16 am One app that I cannot recommend enough is Watchville. It takes articles from all watch related journalism sites and compiles into one place. So if you want to find out the latest news, reviews, upcoming releases, etc, you don't have to jump around to a number of different websites. In addition to the main sites that immediately come to mind like Hodinkee, Worn and Wound, A Blog To Watch, there are probably 15 other publications to read from. Articles are sorted by how recent and how popular they are. Awesome app!

How about a more versatile alternative? I use Feedly as a news aggregator, and I subscribe to the watch news sites, as well as news from other sites that cover my other interests:

https://feedly.com

Easy enough to load up Feedly from the sites that have news on Watchville, but leave off the ones you don't want to follow. Note that Feedly does let you organize into feeds so that your watch news could be aggregated together in one display, and other news in another. Feedly has mobile apps and works well in the browser for desktop use.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:16 am One app that I cannot recommend enough is Watchville. It takes articles from all watch related journalism sites and compiles into one place. So if you want to find out the latest news, reviews, upcoming releases, etc, you don't have to jump around to a number of different websites. In addition to the main sites that immediately come to mind like Hodinkee, Worn and Wound, A Blog To Watch, there are probably 15 other publications to read from. Articles are sorted by how recent and how popular they are. Awesome app!

How about a more versatile alternative? I use Feedly as a news aggregator, and I subscribe to the watch news sites, as well as news from other sites that cover my other interests:

https://feedly.com

Easy enough to load up Feedly from the sites that have news on Watchville, but leave off the ones you don't want to follow. Note that Feedly does let you organize into feeds so that your watch news could be aggregated together in one display, and other news in another. Feedly has mobile apps and works well in the browser for desktop use.
I also use Feedly now for 4 years...its a great news aggregator app. But just trying Watchville out and am loving it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

yinzburgher wrote:One app that I cannot recommend enough is Watchville.
Wow. I had no idea. It’s the best watch app ever.

@robotazky
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Watchville and Watchbox are pretty similar and I like both. I use Watchville's atomic clock to set watches as well.
WatchCheck is useful for tracking accuracy, I've just started using it.
I use Microsoft OneNote for keeping track of watches I like and other horology-related notes. I ultimately preferred it over Evernote because the note format is very free; you can paste pictures into it very easily, add text wherever you want, etc.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I use Watchtracker. It's ok, there's probably better out there now though.