We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ways to promote this forum?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Ways to promote this forum?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Seeing as WUS has gone down the drain for deals, I'm sure there are MANY people on there who haven't got a clue this new forum was created. I know a Facebook group was also made but it doesn't seem to be getting as much traffic, and let's be honest a forum is better.

Anyways, I'd thought I'd start a discussion for ways some you think we can get the word out on this forum to wus members from the old forum. You can't simply post a link to it on watchuseek (man on time's we're deleted on there by mods almost instantly). Also I'm like 100% sure the mods must be looking at this forum right now too...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Ways to promote this forum?

Post by MoT »

I have no animosity towards WUS or any of the membership. I didn't create this to be competition (really, how could it be?) but rather as a place for like-minded folks to continue posting deals. If I'm honest, I had a selfish motive as well; I want to finish the stats for this month.

If you'd like to pass along the word of the site as you see fit, do so, but do not "headhunt" on WUS. A moderator was quite clear to me that posting the link is prohibited and I don't wish to see any of you get banned.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote:I have no animosity towards WUS or any of the membership. I didn't create this to be competition (really, how could it be?) but rather as a place for like-minded folks to continue posting deals. If I'm honest, I had a selfish motive as well; I want to finish the stats for this month.

If you'd like to pass along the word of the site as you see fit, do so, but do not "headhunt" on WUS. A moderator was quite clear to me that posting the link is prohibited and I don't wish to see any of you get banned.
Good point. To clarify, I am not leaving watchuseek and do not want anyone else on here to "persuade" others to leave as well. I was more or less just trying to get others on board for even more deals, and I'm sure there are some members that really liked the deals thread but just aren't aware about this one. Watchuseek is still extremely great for everything else and selling stuff.

Who knows maybe over time this will just naturally gain popularity.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

I think it's a little funny that WUS prohibits headhunting in this circumstance. They're not (at least right now) offering a particular service, and this forum is. That said, I understand why publicly posting links to encourage someone to go to a competitor (for page views, if not for services) would be frowned upon.

The big question is whether we'll get blocked/banned for sending PMs in WUS about this forum. I know that mods can read PMs, and I feel like there was some controversy over that when Ernie sold WUS and the big group defected to International Watch League.

I also want to continue to be active on WUS (though probably not as much as before), and I have a few watches to sell on /f29 :) so I don't want to get in trouble, but I think it is important to spread the word somehow.
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Perdendosi wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 amThe big question is whether we'll get blocked/banned for sending PMs in WUS about this forum. I know that mods can read PMs, and I feel like there was some controversy over that when Ernie sold WUS and the big group defected to International Watch League.
I never knew that, that's quite disturbing.

As I mentioned over on WUS, I have quite a long history administering web forums. One forum in particular has 110k+ members and about 5,000,000 posts. The same forum software is used on it, as it is on WUS. The ability to read private messages is an add-on that we never enabled because we adamantly held the belief that what goes on between members in private, is their own business.

That being said, I will not be adding the ability here, either.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Penfold36
MoT Member

Post by Penfold36 »

I sort of guessed they could read PMs based on a PM I sent awhile ago about something else, but I didn't know for sure. I thought it might be something they would do if it was a serious issue. However, before reading your posts here, I sent a PM to another member about this site, and it was censored. I didn't get a nasty gram though, so I thought maybe it was just a filter. Anyway, I won't be doing that so blatantly anymore.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

One thing that I plan to do. If I have a new topic or question that I plan to post on WUS, I will be copying and pasting it as a new topic in the Watches and Timekeepers section of this forum. While this won't help actively recruit anyone, I feel that any new content on the forum can only help it's development. I don't have any social media accounts but for those that do, it couldn't hurt to add a link to this forum on a relevant FB or IG post.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

I'm a member of UGWC on Facebook which has like 20,000 members. I could try something there, but the people on there are like another breed of watch collectors lol. Let's just say they tend to really annoy me...
TwoSecondsPerDay
MoT Member

Post by TwoSecondsPerDay »

Biggest thing we can do is to post a ton and get picked up via SEO

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 pm One thing that I plan to do. If I have a new topic or question that I plan to post on WUS, I will be copying and pasting it as a new topic in the Watches and Timekeepers section of this forum. While this won't help actively recruit anyone, I feel that any new content on the forum can only help it's development. I don't have any social media accounts but for those that do, it couldn't hurt to add a link to this forum on a relevant FB or IG post.
I should add that if you post a link or share any info about the forum, it couldn't hurt to urge people to actually sign up and post deals. Obviously there will continue to be lurkers on this forum same as the old thread. But ideally we have people ultimately contributing in some way rather than just taking advantage of the deals without ever even signing up.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

yinzburgher wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 pm One thing that I plan to do. If I have a new topic or question that I plan to post on WUS, I will be copying and pasting it as a new topic in the Watches and Timekeepers section of this forum. While this won't help actively recruit anyone, I feel that any new content on the forum can only help it's development. I don't have any social media accounts but for those that do, it couldn't hurt to add a link to this forum on a relevant FB or IG post.
I should add that if you post a link or share any info about the forum, it couldn't hurt to urge people to actually sign up and post deals. Obviously there will continue to be lurkers on this forum same as the old thread. But ideally we have people ultimately contributing in some way rather than just taking advantage of the deals without ever even signing up.
^^^ This. Guests generate site traffic but otherwise if they aren't contributing then that would just become annoying. Although I do agree with one of the members (I forget who and where) who recently said that some of those guests could just be Tapatalk users, really no way of knowing.
Robangel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Robangel »

Have a dislike having to second guess as to whether or not my behavior's 'correct' on WUS. Also dislike FB and am probably the very rare bird in that while a social fellow and 'blogger', I do not have a FB page, profile. Never cared for, shall we say, the construct and 'atmosphere' there, and my disdain only increased as more establishments tried to make you link in to get 'deals' and such. Just not comfortable basically asking people to like me or them asking me to like them--'likes' are nice, but should flow more naturally. Or of course without the increasing concerns about privacy intrusion... My wonderfully watch tolerant Asian wife is much more FB capable, savvy, able to whatever extent possible guard her (our) privacy, able to handle the callous, coveting 'friends of friends' , the wannabe rich and blameless sorts...On the other hand, I'd be knee jerking and posting too many nasty gram replies....

I am presently at a loss otherwise as to how we can let people know about this venue without creating collateral issues, but hopefully we'll find ways.

99.99% of the time, WUS seek member posts have been quite civil and palatable in contrast to what I've seen w/ FB, and I imagine without a heavy hand over this site, but with reasonable controls, we'll be a good group of apples, so to speak.

Really hoping we can build a membership base here and grow that 'apple tree', without undue turf wars or interference of an unsavory and in my eyes, unnecessary nature from any other group/sites!!

Wishing the best to all members here, for a long time to come!

Robangel
thedius
MoT Member

Post by thedius »

If you click on the members page of this site, you will see that most of the previous Heads Up denizens are already on board. So I feel confident that this forum will prosper and expand.

WUS is now deleting posts left and right, I don't want to even log in there anymore.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

WUS is actively editing PMs related to this forum. I have had 2 WUS members send me info about this forum (before I signed up) and the site info was deleted out with a ........ in place. I posted a comment on the thread there about the existence of this forum (NO hyperlink though, just a cheeky reference to it being created....) and that was deleted. Then I commented about the deleted post and that also was deleted. No messages from mods though.

Seems odd that they are working this hard to keep Manontime.com from being learned about but they couldn't figure out a way to moderate their own thread?

Also really poor timing for them to shut it down in the middle of peak shopping season. Not a well planned action.

WUS will continue to exist because the Heads up thread was 1 out of thousands each year. I will still be a member also.

But why they object to Manontime.com when they ceased to offer the service themselves is totally irrational.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

I'm promoting it on my IG feed also

-- Enjoy your time