We're Moving!

Click for more info.

What Would You Like To See?

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
MoT
Site Admin

What Would You Like To See?

Post by MoT »

This site has been running smoothly for four months now, but I know there must be features, options or additions that we don't have that could be found useful.

List features you'd like to see, and I'll go about discovering if they can be implemented.

Also, I would like this place to remain free as I have said many times, but would a small subscription fee for access to certain features (larger PM storage, custom user titles, etc) be a negative or dissuade people from participating. Access to the forum itself would remain open, it would only be "behind the curtain" perks that would be optional.

I'm open to all opinions in this spitball session, so fire away! :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: What Would You Like To See?

Post by TheJohnP »

Personally, I don't know if the subscription model would entice me for some additional perks as mentioned.
A one time fee perhaps, but not an ongoing payment.

I know you are trying to avoid it, but if it is a subscription to get access to earlier deals, that would be an incentive.

For instance having early access to the upcoming Creation site wide discounts, or more of the types of deals that [mention]robotaz[/mention] was able to negotiate would be something to pay for in my opinion. Basically thinking of a "fast pass" model. We are all aware of how it works in theme parks, where if you are there you get into the ride. But if you pay extra, you get in faster. I think that might be more fruitful. Just wondering if there's enough there to make people stick around though. I am sure you don't want to set up some kind of system wide delay where deals are posted, but don't go live to everyone for 5-10 minutes, but those with the paid access can see immediately. Not even sure that is something you could set up. But to me, that seems to be the best route to explore for additional monetization.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pmmonetization
That's the phrase I'd like to avoid, especially since it's not my intention.

Think of it this way; I am your host, and you are my guests. If I can do something or implement something that makes your visit more comfortable or enjoyable, and it comes with little to no cost to me, then I'd like to know about it.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm
That's the phrase I'd like to avoid, especially since it's not my intention.

Think of it this way; I am your host, and you are my guests. If I can do something or implement something that makes your visit more comfortable or enjoyable, and it comes with little to no cost to me, then I'd like to know about it.
I get it.
And one of the many reasons why I prefer this forum to others.

But when everyone is hanging at the house, it's not impolite to ask if anyone wants to chip in for more pizza.
;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pm Personally, I don't know if the subscription model would entice me for some additional perks as mentioned.
A one time fee perhaps, but not an ongoing payment.

I know you are trying to avoid it, but if it is a subscription to get access to earlier deals, that would be an incentive.

For instance having early access to the upcoming Creation site wide discounts, or more of the types of deals that @robotaz was able to negotiate would be something to pay for in my opinion. Basically thinking of a "fast pass" model. We are all aware of how it works in theme parks, where if you are there you get into the ride. But if you pay extra, you get in faster. I think that might be more fruitful. Just wondering if there's enough there to make people stick around though. I am sure you don't want to set up some kind of system wide delay where deals are posted, but don't go live to everyone for 5-10 minutes, but those with the paid access can see immediately. Not even sure that is something you could set up. But to me, that seems to be the best route to explore for additional monetization.
In practice, limiting access to the negotiated site discounts may do more harm than good. The more traffic we can drive to their sites / purchasing power we wield, the more willing retailers should be to offer us better promotions. Just my $1.99...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Mrbiglens
MoT Member

Post by Mrbiglens »

Something we can all work with, donate a watch/strap/winder/spouse to the cause to help support the site. They can be "offered" on a forum and MoT keeps the proceeds to offset costs. Like "donate a car, save a kid."

We all have a few watches that could be parted with without pain nor suffering.

Just an idea.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Mrbiglens wrote:Something we can all work with, donate a watch/strap/winder/spouse to the cause to help support the site. They can be "offered" on a forum and MoT keeps the proceeds to offset costs. Like "donate a car, save a kid."

Just an idea.
I don’t think we should be offering spouses for donations, that seems wrong even though I know it was a joke.

I like the idea, kind of like a tag sale where you would post an item, MOT would get paid and give you the OK to ship. Actually, the sales forum would work just fine for this if we can specify that payment goes to MOT. I would assume that the ‘seller’ could also kick in for shipment or that transaction could be handled separately. Makes it more complicated, but it could work.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am OK with one time payments or monthly ones. An automatic $2-$4 a month to me is relatively little for the service of this forum.

More PM storage space and custom titles appeal the most to me.
Mrbiglens
MoT Member

Post by Mrbiglens »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 am
Mrbiglens wrote:Something we can all work with, donate a watch/strap/winder/spouse to the cause to help support the site. They can be "offered" on a forum and MoT keeps the proceeds to offset costs. Like "donate a car, save a kid."

Just an idea.
I don’t think we should be offering spouses for donations, that seems wrong even though I know it was a joke.

I like the idea, kind of like a tag sale where you would post an item, MOT would get paid and give you the OK to ship. Actually, the sales forum would work just fine for this if we can specify that payment goes to MOT. I would assume that the ‘seller’ could also kick in for shipment or that transaction could be handled separately. Makes it more complicated, but it could work.
You've never met MY spouse!
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

MOT needs to be listed on Watchrecon. If that could happen, I'd be willing to sell here rather than on WUS. But there just aren't enough eyes on this site yet.

support@watchrecon.com

I wouldn't think that MOT would want to be in the businesses of selling other people's watches. That adds extreme financial / accounting complexity, as well as the potential for huge liability, not only from buyers (watch doesn't come as advertised? make MOT refund your money. Scammer? Sue MOT -- he's the person you paid!) but from regulators as well. And because there are so many places where you can list watches for free, there wouldn't be a good reason to list it here if MOT took a cut.

If financing the site is still a problem, maybe you could do a donation campaign the way that wikipedia does--big banners once a year, describing the benefits and giving basic details about what the funds would go to.

The other thing I'd like to see--and maybe it's already here and I don't know it--is an easy "WUS" way to search the site.
So when I'm looking for old deals on WUS, I can just type in {deal} "heads up" site:forums.watchuseek.com/f71 into Google. That will get a pretty reliable, targeted search.

It's not obvious to me how to search the "heads up" thread here for past deals, or how to search particular subforums in general.
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am MOT needs to be listed on Watchrecon. If that could happen, I'd be willing to sell here rather than on WUS. But there just aren't enough eyes on this site yet.

support@watchrecon.com

I've reached out to WatchRecon. They say we're not big enough and that it would cost them to write the script to harvest this site. Maybe in the future.

Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am I wouldn't think that MOT would want to be in the businesses of selling other people's watches. That adds extreme financial / accounting complexity, as well as the potential for huge liability, not only from buyers (watch doesn't come as advertised? make MOT refund your money. Scammer? Sue MOT -- he's the person you paid!) but from regulators as well. And because there are so many places where you can list watches for free, there wouldn't be a good reason to list it here if MOT took a cut.

I absolutely do not want to be in the business of selling other people's watches. That is a hassle I have zero interest in. People are free to list their watches and other things here, and if they'd like to donate a portion of the proceeds to the site, that is their prerogative but is absolutely not required nor expected.

Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am If financing the site is still a problem, maybe you could do a donation campaign the way that wikipedia does--big banners once a year, describing the benefits and giving basic details about what the funds would go to.

The day-to-day costs of the site are not a problem. Going forward if I need to farm out coding or purchase add-ons for the site, or pay for design work, then those are costs I may not be able to bear. There are unobtrusive (I think) donation links at both the top and the bottom of the page on desktop/mobile. The links do not appear when visiting the site on Tapatalk. These links can be used by anyone at any time.

Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am The other thing I'd like to see--and maybe it's already here and I don't know it--is an easy "WUS" way to search the site.
So when I'm looking for old deals on WUS, I can just type in {deal} "heads up" site:forums.watchuseek.com/f71 into Google. That will get a pretty reliable, targeted search.

The same can be accomplished on Google if you insert the specific thread, ie: {deal} "Heads Up!" site:www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123

Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am It's not obvious to me how to search the "heads up" thread here for past deals, or how to search particular subforums in general.

Searching the thread can be done directly in that thread.

On desktop and mobile, there is a search bar at the top of every thread and every forum:

searchthread.PNG

In Tapatalk, searching the thread can be accessed via pressing the three dots at the top right and selecting "Search". This screenshot was taken on Android, the iOS process should be similar.

tapatalksearchthread.png

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm
Perdendosi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am MOT needs to be listed on Watchrecon. If that could happen, I'd be willing to sell here rather than on WUS. But there just aren't enough eyes on this site yet.

support@watchrecon.com

I've reached out to WatchRecon. They say we're not big enough and that it would cost them to write the script to harvest this site. Maybe in the future.

Did WatchRecon give any indication how big this site needs to be in order to be included?
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm

support@watchrecon.com

Did WatchRecon give any indication how big this site needs to be in order to be included?
No they did not.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I have probably more to say here than anyone will want to read. TheJohnP posted something in the deals thread a few weeks ago and I just wanna echo that here. The site isn't going to improve drastically due to any change or little tweak that MOT makes to the site. Basically everything we need to make this forum exactly what we want is already here. The forum is all of us. And it will be no more or no less than what we make of it. How we choose to participate here will be the biggest factor in how this forum thrives or flounders. If you wanna see more JLC deals, search for and post JLC deals. Want more threads about vintage chronographs, start posting about them. You think nobody here knows a damn thing about grey market Tudor prices, become the expert yourself. You get the idea. Anyway, on with the list. Some of the things below I feel strongly about and some I don't...mere suggestions or brainstorming or a passing thought.
---- I agree about the need/desire to get on WatchRecon. When they said we were too small, I reached out to WatchPatrol. The owner seemed interested initially but since then he has ignored my multiple emails. He is aware of us and has MOT's contact info. I think it may be worth reaching out to WatchRecon periodically.
---- I would prefer to see Viglink gone. Unless of course it provides a great deal of support. In most cases it is not too intrusive but it still occasionally irks me. I hate seeing a link for fidget spinners or panty liners in sistem32s well-thought-out HH posts.
---- I think the Deal Reports subforum could be renamed slightly so people know what to post there. Deal Reports and Retailer Info...or something. Whatever lets people know that its the place to post reviews about not only specific deals but about certain sellers and sites too. Rather than ask "Is Gemnation trustworthy?" in the deals thread, people might know to post it there.
---- An Instagram account specifically for the site. I see some incredible photos going up in the WRUW and elsewhere. Someone could pick one or two a day and put them on IG. I don't have an IG account so I have know idea how much work this would be.
---- A sticky/thread/post/subforum/whatever with links to major online watch retailers....the places many of our deals come from. A one stop page with all the links might make it more likely for people to search for deals. Or maybe it could make a few pennies for the site. It might be good to have links to cash back sites here as well.
---- Is there an easier way to quote multiple posts? I finally found out a way in the preview mode but I wouldn't call it convenient. I like the format of this site waaayyy better than WUS but that was one of the things that was easier to do over there.
---- Another thing that was useful on WUS was that list of most liked posts on the top left when you open a thread. I never used it for the deals thread bc I went through it all. But for those 8 page long threads like "Show me you favorite white dial diver" you could could click on that list and see the best pics bc they had the most upvotes.
---- The search function here is so much better than at WUS, where it is incredibly bad (which is why people resorted to google to search the site for them). I just think maybe people should use the search function more. I also think it would be great if everyone tried their best to post the brand, model and reference of there deals if possible so these things are searchable later. When these things are part of a picture, they don't show up in search. If we put a requirement on it, people won't post as many deals. I just think it should be encouraged.
---- I think we need to reach out to more retailers to ask for MANONTIME discount codes. Myself included. I'll plan to reach out to at least 2 different sites in the next month.
---- I know there are already message boards and discussion areas on Kickstarter, but is there a way to get more "backers" and KS fans over here from there to discuss the KS campaigns? Not sure.
---- Similar to the one spot for all the retail sites it might be good to have a sticky with one giant list of links to watch publications, sites, and journals. I wouldn't mind putting it together. Maybe it could just be like any old thread and get stickied....or placed on the site like a subforum.
---- I sometimes get emails from WUS with updates on threads I've posted or subscribed to. I don't really love the idea of getting emails from the forum....I'm here anyway. But maybe it could be helpful in some way for some people.
---- I know everyone here wants to get more members and not less but I like the idea of a requirement to post at least maybe 2-4 times per year to continue to have access to the forum and deals thread. It might just encourage those members that don't post to engage and post something worthwhile. They might see that we don't bite and that they have something to say and that they like interacting with others that have a shared interest/passion in watches. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it could actually get some people to post more and engage.
---- I think TapaTalk hurts overall engagement on the forum with the exception of the deals thread. It is great for a few certain things and some people have gotten so used to it and now won't give it up despite how terrible it is. So I would just encourage people to try using the desktop site for this forum on your phone or tablet. You will probably come to like it better and discover new threads and posts you otherwise might not see.
---- On WUS and maybe other forums, there are retailers like Topper or AZFineTime or Govberg that post pre-owned watches for sale on the forum. Is that something we would be interested in here? Too much hassle for MOT? Not worth the sellers time?
---- Part of the reason our sales forum is not so active is bc we are all spoiled. We are used to finding and buying good deals without having to resort to buying pre-owned off other members. I'm not so sure what can be done about this.
---- Similar to WUS, I would like to see a thread where I could post ebay auctions. However I'm afraid I would be the only one who uses it and I know most people are more interested in seeing the sales subforum grow and succeed.
---- I wonder could any more be done with the user profiles besides avatar, signature, birthday, ect.? Any more functionality? I think more people, myself included, could use the signature for to greater effect. I find myself clicking on those little IG links. Also in turn maybe more users could provide a link here from their personal IG and FB.
**** Here is where I sound like a Telethon. I would encourage everyone to think about whether this site is worth at least $1 per month to you (it is to me). If so, click the donate button, donate $12 and you're good for the year. Set a reminder in your phone for a year from now. If you still find this site enjoyable and helpful, donate again. I don't know what the site costs and it's awkward to talk about money. But my experience is that people don't donate unless they know exactly what their money is paying for.
Also, I would like this place to remain free as I have said many times, but would a small subscription fee for access to certain features (larger PM storage, custom user titles, etc) be a negative or dissuade people from participating. Access to the forum itself would remain open, it would only be "behind the curtain" perks that would be optional.
---I don't think it would bother me if this was implemented but I also don't think it would entice or appeal to me.
*****Not all of these ideas are good ones. I realize that. I just want to put them out there as thoughts I've had. Feel free to push back or discuss the ideas -- upvote, downvote, promote, critique, whatever. As long as it's not done in a disrespectful manner, you're not going to offend me. Discussing ideas is one good way to find out if they are good or bad ideas. Also, please provide any ideas that you may have. Now is your chance. I can promise you that there is no forum moderator asking "how can I help you and make things better" over on.....well...in the alternate universe.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I apologize it took so long for me to respond to this. I had started to, but then things came up. So here we go:

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am I have probably more to say here than anyone will want to read. TheJohnP posted something in the deals thread a few weeks ago and I just wanna echo that here. The site isn't going to improve drastically due to any change or little tweak that MOT makes to the site. Basically everything we need to make this forum exactly what we want is already here. The forum is all of us. And it will be no more or no less than what we make of it. How we choose to participate here will be the biggest factor in how this forum thrives or flounders. If you wanna see more JLC deals, search for and post JLC deals. Want more threads about vintage chronographs, start posting about them. You think nobody here knows a damn thing about grey market Tudor prices, become the expert yourself. You get the idea. Anyway, on with the list. Some of the things below I feel strongly about and some I don't...mere suggestions or brainstorming or a passing thought.

Excellent points. User engagement and involvement is exactly what makes or breaks any site. I'm confident that we have a great group of people here, and the variety of knowledge and experience is making itself known across many threads.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I agree about the need/desire to get on WatchRecon. When they said we were too small, I reached out to WatchPatrol. The owner seemed interested initially but since then he has ignored my multiple emails. He is aware of us and has MOT's contact info. I think it may be worth reaching out to WatchRecon periodically.

I'm baffled by it. They seemed really interested at first, and now it's like we're being ghosted. Touching base now and again is probably the right way to go.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I would prefer to see Viglink gone. Unless of course it provides a great deal of support. In most cases it is not too intrusive but it still occasionally irks me. I hate seeing a link for fidget spinners or panty liners in sistem32s well-thought-out HH posts.

As of now VigLink is keeping the lights on*. I'd like to keep it implemented, but if it becomes too much of an annoyance to too many users, then I'll get rid of it or find a way to make it less intrusive.

*Full disclosure: The actual hosting has been generously donated by a member, but there are other costs that aren't included with that.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I think the Deal Reports subforum could be renamed slightly so people know what to post there. Deal Reports and Retailer Info...or something. Whatever lets people know that its the place to post reviews about not only specific deals but about certain sellers and sites too. Rather than ask "Is Gemnation trustworthy?" in the deals thread, people might know to post it there.

Excellent idea! That change is live now.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- An Instagram account specifically for the site. I see some incredible photos going up in the WRUW and elsewhere. Someone could pick one or two a day and put them on IG. I don't have an IG account so I have know idea how much work this would be.

I like this idea. I have an Instagram account ManOnTime. I can easily start doing this. (Full image credit will be given to the poster, of course.)

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- A sticky/thread/post/subforum/whatever with links to major online watch retailers....the places many of our deals come from. A one stop page with all the links might make it more likely for people to search for deals. Or maybe it could make a few pennies for the site. It might be good to have links to cash back sites here as well.

Another good idea. If anyone wants to spearhead a thread listing the retailers, it can easily be stickied (pinned) to the top of that particular forum, and edited whenever a new one is found or suggested.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- Is there an easier way to quote multiple posts? I finally found out a way in the preview mode but I wouldn't call it convenient. I like the format of this site waaayyy better than WUS but that was one of the things that was easier to do over there.
---- Another thing that was useful on WUS was that list of most liked posts on the top left when you open a thread. I never used it for the deals thread bc I went through it all. But for those 8 page long threads like "Show me you favorite white dial diver" you could could click on that list and see the best pics bc they had the most upvotes.[/quote]

These are something I've put on my list to investigate.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- The search function here is so much better than at WUS, where it is incredibly bad (which is why people resorted to google to search the site for them). I just think maybe people should use the search function more. I also think it would be great if everyone tried their best to post the brand, model and reference of there deals if possible so these things are searchable later. When these things are part of a picture, they don't show up in search. If we put a requirement on it, people won't post as many deals. I just think it should be encouraged.

Good suggestions!

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I think we need to reach out to more retailers to ask for MANONTIME discount codes. Myself included. I'll plan to reach out to at least 2 different sites in the next month.

By all means. I would like to be "in the loop" when contact is made, and my contact info passed along. Cc'ing me via info@manontime.com and sending my contact info to emails sent to retailers would be the best way to do this.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I know there are already message boards and discussion areas on Kickstarter, but is there a way to get more "backers" and KS fans over here from there to discuss the KS campaigns? Not sure.

I have no idea. I think [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] would be the go-to guy for this.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- Similar to the one spot for all the retail sites it might be good to have a sticky with one giant list of links to watch publications, sites, and journals. I wouldn't mind putting it together. Maybe it could just be like any old thread and get stickied....or placed on the site like a subforum.

Go for it. Once it's created I can easily stick it.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I sometimes get emails from WUS with updates on threads I've posted or subscribed to. I don't really love the idea of getting emails from the forum....I'm here anyway. But maybe it could be helpful in some way for some people.

This is possible. Forums and topics (threads) can be subscribed to, and email notifications is a functionality done via the User Control Panel.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I know everyone here wants to get more members and not less but I like the idea of a requirement to post at least maybe 2-4 times per year to continue to have access to the forum and deals thread. It might just encourage those members that don't post to engage and post something worthwhile. They might see that we don't bite and that they have something to say and that they like interacting with others that have a shared interest/passion in watches. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it could actually get some people to post more and engage.

I have the numbers to show that way more people are visiting and reading than are actively participating. How we encourage more is the lead to gold trick that has vexed discussion group alchemists since the beginning of the internet. I do know that "requiring" participation doesn't work long term.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I think TapaTalk hurts overall engagement on the forum with the exception of the deals thread. It is great for a few certain things and some people have gotten so used to it and now won't give it up despite how terrible it is. So I would just encourage people to try using the desktop site for this forum on your phone or tablet. You will probably come to like it better and discover new threads and posts you otherwise might not see.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I despise Tapatalk. It unnecessarily complicates things, and the only reason I have it is that people have asked for it. The desktop and mobile versions of this site are incredibly robust and user-friendly, and I wish more people would give them a chance.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- On WUS and maybe other forums, there are retailers like Topper or AZFineTime or Govberg that post pre-owned watches for sale on the forum. Is that something we would be interested in here? Too much hassle for MOT? Not worth the sellers time?

That is something I would consider. However, I wouldn't want this place to be their dumping grounds. Sales listings will continue to be free for members, but I would expect businesses to have to come to some kind of compensation agreement.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- Part of the reason our sales forum is not so active is bc we are all spoiled. We are used to finding and buying good deals without having to resort to buying pre-owned off other members. I'm not so sure what can be done about this.

Time and growth is my guess.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- Similar to WUS, I would like to see a thread where I could post eBay auctions. However I'm afraid I would be the only one who uses it and I know most people are more interested in seeing the sales subforum grow and succeed.

I don't see why that can't be done now. See the recent Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals thread for example.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- I wonder could any more be done with the user profiles besides avatar, signature, birthday, ect.? Any more functionality? I think more people, myself included, could use the signature for to greater effect. I find myself clicking on those little IG links. Also in turn maybe more users could provide a link here from their personal IG and FB.

More profile options is something I can look in to. As for signatures, they can be as simple or as robust (using bbCode) as the user wants them to be. It's all a matter of effort.

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am**** Here is where I sound like a Telethon. I would encourage everyone to think about whether this site is worth at least $1 per month to you (it is to me). If so, click the donate button, donate $12 and you're good for the year. Set a reminder in your phone for a year from now. If you still find this site enjoyable and helpful, donate again. I don't know what the site costs and it's awkward to talk about money. But my experience is that people don't donate unless they know exactly what their money is paying for.

All monies donated go directly to the operation of the site. Be it graphic design (something I may be hiring out for in the future), domain renewals, tech support for things I can't do, etc. I could easily set up a "subscription" model if that is what members want.
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am*****Not all of these ideas are good ones. I realize that. I just want to put them out there as thoughts I've had. Feel free to push back or discuss the ideas -- upvote, downvote, promote, critique, whatever. As long as it's not done in a disrespectful manner, you're not going to offend me. Discussing ideas is one good way to find out if they are good or bad ideas. Also, please provide any ideas that you may have. Now is your chance. I can promise you that there is no forum moderator asking "how can I help you and make things better" over on.....well...in the alternate universe.

I like ideas. Good or bad. They really do help me discover what people are liking, and what they don't like. It also helps me to find things I may have overlooked or never realized, so thanks for all these.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT