We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watch repair and modding how-to’s

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Watch repair and modding how-to’s

Post by watchpalooza »

A members-only thread for sharing online instructional guides and videos for watch cleaning, repair, modding, etc. Here are some to start:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Re: Watch repair and modding how-to’s

Post by ShoreFire77 »

Thanks for this - it's a great resource. I was going to suggest/ask if someone would be willing to compile a list of suppliers for mod parts also.

I'm sure there are a few of us here who would like to give modding a try, me included, but sourcing parts reliably I expect can be a bit of a minefield.

I'm aware of places like Dagaz, Yobokies, Crystal Times, etc, but I'm sure our more seasoned modders would be able to expand the knowledge base?

Just a thought...
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ShoreFire77 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm Thanks for this - it's a great resource. I was going to suggest/ask if someone would be willing to compile a list of suppliers for mod parts also.

I'm sure there are a few of us here who would like to give modding a try, me included, but sourcing parts reliably I expect can be a bit of a minefield.

I'm aware of places like Dagaz, Yobokies, Crystal Times, etc, but I'm sure our more seasoned modders would be able to expand the knowledge base?

Just a thought...
Good idea...Added some of the ones I know.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Another source for mod parts:
Hidden Content
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Post by ShoreFire77 »

Feel I should contribute: :D
Hidden Content
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Hidden Content
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Hidden Content
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

Hidden Content
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

List updated!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Evelyne31
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Evelyne31 »

watchpalooza wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:05 pm A members-only thread for sharing online instructional guides and videos for watch cleaning, repair, modding, etc. Here are some to start:
Hidden Content
Hello,
I would like to know where can I find the members-only discussion thread for sharing teaching guides?
thank you
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

R & R Bezel insert for Casio Duro & many others

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Adventures in Bezel Insert Land

I had and enjoyed a casio Mtd-106 (Duro) but I disliked how monochromatic it looked . So I bought a more colorful Bezel insert for it. Since I didn't know what I was doing, while I was removing the bezel the click spring popped out - never to be seen again :o The watch still worked fine but it no longer had a unidirectional bezel .

That aggravated my OCD and I tried finding a replacement spring, Our friend and sysop Matt had a Duro in the drawer and offered it to me. Since I had been seeing Youtube videos of how easy it is to replace bezel inserts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zDht9pl5U I decided to remove my colorful bezel and put on what had been Matt's watch and put his old insert on my unidirectional watch.

After soaking both watches in golf club tape remover both inserts parctially fell out - just as easy-peasy as Mark (LIW) and Jody (JOMW) said it would. I had picked up some 3M tape rings

I installed the colorful insert on MY new watch and as Matt told me the watch was running fine and I put it on red Perlon strap - Wifee said it looked great. So I still had a Duro w/o bezel insert and I had a Duro insert. I tried putting my old original Casio insert and my troubles began - because the inner diameter of the Original Casio watch bezel was smaller the ID of the tape ring. I had gone from a multi-directional bezel to a stationary bezel UNACCEPTABLE Lickily I still had a bunch of tape solvent so I used it to free everything and I am looking into using a few spots of HYPO-Cement to secure the bezel Insert
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Bezel insert R & R EASY - PEASY

I am working on my Casio MDV-106, but this should work on most watches
BEZEL INSERT REMOVAL
Put a capful of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (70 or 91%} in a jar lid. Place the watch - face down in the liquid so the insert to be removed is submerged. If you have a watch press set it up while the watch is soaking. You want the lower support in the press to press on the back of the watch and the upper plate of the press only contacts the new bezel insert.

After a few minutes remove the watch from the alcohol soak and rinse with lots of water, being careful that the insert you are removing does not go down the drain!

NEW BEZEL INSTALL
Place a small drop of G-S Hypo Cement near the outer edge of where the insert goes and spread it around the outer edge of where the insert goes (I use a toothpick to spread it)
Place the insert where you want it alignmentwise, put the watch in the press - give it a quick press and check that the bezel turns freely. If not - back into the alcohol bath.

Since you have NOT removed the bezel, there is no chance of losing springs or scratching your watch!