We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Toaster Oven

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Toaster Oven

Post by BostonCharlie »

We have always had a traditional toaster, so a toaster oven always seemed unnecessary. And on the rare occasion somebody really wanted to toast something like a store-bought coffee cake we could pop it in the full sized oven.

I just enjoyed some sourdough toast from our new toaster oven. It was so good, I feel immense regret over all the sourdough toast I've made in an upright toaster. Apparently there was always something better concealed within those humble slices that only a toaster oven can discover.

On the deal side, we learned that our Kroger deli has a discount cheese bin. They have odd bits marked down the same way 'day-old' baked goods are. This is perfect for me, because I know nothing about cheese, but I know I like a deal. Anyhow, my sourdough toast had some of this Camembert cheese on it. It was good but powerful. I had to cut it with some slices of cantaloupe we happened to have -- bite of toast, bite of melon. Man that was good.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Toaster Oven

Post by TheJohnP »

And some prosciutto and you're golden
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I came for the watch deals, but I stay for the toaster talk. :D Maybe I've been missing out too. I've had a toaster oven sitting in a box in my basement for probably two years. I paid nearly nothing for it so I couldn't resist the purchase (imagine that). I haven't busted it out yet because my kitchen is already too crowded but maybe I need to reconsider and reconfigure.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:I came for the watch deals, but I stay for the toaster talk. :D Maybe I've been missing out too. I've had a toaster oven sitting in a box in my basement for probably two years. I paid nearly nothing for it so I couldn't resist the purchase (imagine that). I haven't busted it out yet because my kitchen is already too crowded but maybe I need to reconsider and reconfigure.
OK, this is creepy. I also have a toaster oven in my basement. It has been an unused wedding present for a really long time (12 years).

I have a feeling that we are kindred spirits some how.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Off Topic,

When we got a crock pot for our wedding I joked with my wife about how we'd never use it.
LOVE that thing. Use it as much as possible. She's been making fun of me for that initial stance since.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Agree, crock pots are awesome...toasters live in the basement
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Can't live without my toaster oven for reheating pizza. I'd feel guilty using my full-sized oven for that.

In fact, have to have a microwave for reheating pizza, too. It's a two-stage process :D
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am Off Topic,

When we got a crock pot for our wedding I joked with my wife about how we'd never use it.
LOVE that thing. Use it as much as possible. She's been making fun of me for that initial stance since.

The Crock Pot Mrs.Mot and I got for our wedding is one of the only gifts we still have. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am OK, this is creepy. I also have a toaster oven in my basement.
Does it try to grab your ankles from behind the stairs?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

cel4145 wrote:Can't live without my toaster oven for reheating pizza. I'd feel guilty using my full-sized oven for that.

In fact, have to have a microwave for reheating pizza, too. It's a two-stage process :D
100% this! Microwave for about 30 seconds and then pop it into the toaster oven at about 350°F for a couple minutes and boom! Leftover pizza perfection.

I grew up in a toaster oven household, so I had to push Mrs. Dub Rubb a little to convert. Also, how the hell else are you supposed to make english muffin pizzas?!?

Now we have a convection toaster oven, and it is on a whole new level.

Just remembered another great use. Reheating hot sandwiches(i.e. French dip, meatball sub etc). Follow the same pizza protocol and no more soggy bread!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 pm
cel4145 wrote:Can't live without my toaster oven for reheating pizza. I'd feel guilty using my full-sized oven for that.

100% this! Microwave for about 30 seconds and then pop it into the toaster oven at about 350°F for a couple minutes and boom! Leftover pizza perfection.

I grew up in a toaster oven household, so I had to push Mrs. Dub Rubb a little to convert. Also, how the hell else are you supposed to make english muffin pizzas?!?

Just remembered another great use. Reheating hot sandwiches(i.e. French dip, meatball sub etc). Follow the same pizza protocol and no more soggy bread!
Yep. Anyone who has never tried this method, needs to. Makes all the difference. Pizza can often taste just as good the 2nd day as the first. Image
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 pm
Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Yep. Anyone who has never tried this method, needs to. Makes all the difference. Pizza can often taste just as good the 2nd day as the first. Image
This is impressive. We use the “eat it cold the second day” method, which involves the highly complicated “remove from the fridge’ maneuver. But I must say microwave —> toaster pizza is really good.

Never tried this method, though: https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/food ... ver-pizza/
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:03 am
cel4145 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 pm
Dub Rubb wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 pm 100% this! Microwave for about 30 seconds and then pop it into the toaster oven at about 350°F for a couple minutes and boom! Leftover pizza perfection.

This is impressive. We use the “eat it cold the second day” method, which involves the highly complicated “remove from the fridge’ maneuver. But I must say microwave —> toaster pizza is really good.

Never tried this method, though: https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/food ... ver-pizza/
I think the microwave/toaster oven method will work better. The microwave rehydrates the pizza a little bit (just don't overdo it till it's soggy). And then toast it until the cheese starts to get more of that golden brown look on top, something that the frying pan cannot do. That releases a lot of flavor.

Usually for my oven it's 7 to 9 minutes on 375 (toaster oven preheated of course). Sometimes I turn it on toast at that point for just a minute or two to make the cheese cook just a little more. And don't use the convection fan if you have one, as that will make the cheese melt faster and flow off the sides of the slice.

BTW: Just saw this yesterday. Found out I was doing a few things wrong when baking potatoes: The 7 Biggest Mistakes You Make When Baking Potatoes
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am I came for the watch deals, but I stay for the toaster talk. :D
Totally lol

Sorry am resurrecting a thread. I love toaster ovens! I need a new one but the newer models don't seem to be that great - they have become too big and fancy (I can say that about watches, too, I guess). I just want one that does its job and keeps its temperature evenly. For those who still have old ones that work - treasure them!

And thanks for the pizza reheating tips!