We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rolex Flip Challenge

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Rolex Flip Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

BillionaireDoors wrote:Is anyone getting any benefit from this thread? I hope it's inspiring some of you to go out and try, or at least cash in the junk you have sitting around your houses.
Coming from a family of antique dealers and a constant hoarder, I am enjoying this thread very much and it has answered some of my questions.
WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

Sporkboy wrote:
BillionaireDoors wrote:Is anyone getting any benefit from this thread? I hope it's inspiring some of you to go out and try, or at least cash in the junk you have sitting around your houses.
Coming from a family of antique dealers and a constant hoarder, I am enjoying this thread very much and it has answered some of my questions.
+1 to this. Keep the posts coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

BillionaireDoors wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm
Which of these items would you be more likely to click on?

Screenshot_20190627-152722.png

Screenshot_20190627-152525.png
TBH that thing kinda creeps me out. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Flip of the Day

Picked up a few pocket watches at an estate sale. I was kind of hoping this one wouldn't sell so that I could get a stand and display it. It really does run for 8 days.

$300 Sold Price
$39 eBay + PayPal fees
$10.59 Shipping
$180 Buy Cost
$70.41 Net Profit
Screenshot_20190627-145246.png
I am finding lots of benefits! Especially from the information regarding how to make a good sales post and how best to photograph your items. Hoping to put them to use soon!

I am also enjoying seeing all the random stuff you are able to flip for profit. It has opened my eyes to things to look out for that I previously would have just walked by.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

Post by BillionaireDoors »

Boourns wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm
BillionaireDoors wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm
Which of these items would you be more likely to click on?

Screenshot_20190627-152722.png

Screenshot_20190627-152525.png
TBH that thing kinda creeps me out. :lol:
If it isn't obvious, it's the phoenix from Harry Potter.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

BillionaireDoors wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 pm

If it isn't obvious, it's the phoenix from Harry Potter.
OK that makes sense. I have not seen any of them, so it just looked like a deformed demon parrot to me. :shock:

I suppose that is a good lesson: Know what the heck you are buying to flip.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

Hey BD - How do you track stuff you're selling and stay aware of the profit on each item? I assume, based on your volume, you have something more sophisticated than a spreadsheet? But I could be wrong...
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

WhichWatch? wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 am Hey BD - How do you track stuff you're selling and stay aware of the profit on each item? I assume, based on your volume, you have something more sophisticated than a spreadsheet? But I could be wrong...
Yeah, normally spreadsheets. You can export a sales report from eBay, PayPal, Amazon and add a column with your purchase prices. I keep my receipts so that I can match them up. I should probably come up with a better system though.

In the end, if you have good totals for your amount received from sales vs amount spent (purchase price, fees, shipping, mileage) that's all you really need.
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

Nike golf cleats are another great seller. Watch for them at discount stores for $20-25.
Screenshot_20190710-131744.png
WhichWatch?
MoT Member

Post by WhichWatch? »

BillionaireDoors wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm
WhichWatch? wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 am Hey BD - How do you track stuff you're selling and stay aware of the profit on each item? I assume, based on your volume, you have something more sophisticated than a spreadsheet? But I could be wrong...
Yeah, normally spreadsheets. You can export a sales report from eBay, PayPal, Amazon and add a column with your purchase prices. I keep my receipts so that I can match them up. I should probably come up with a better system though.

In the end, if you have good totals for your amount received from sales vs amount spent (purchase price, fees, shipping, mileage) that's all you really need.
Cool, thanks! When you're deciding to flip something, does the $10 in your calculation represent shipping? How do you protect yourself from the risk that it's more?

Selling Price x 0.87 - $10 - Buy Price = Profit
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

WhichWatch? wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm
BillionaireDoors wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Cool, thanks! When you're deciding to flip something, does the $10 in your calculation represent shipping? How do you protect yourself from the risk that it's more?

Selling Price x 0.87 - $10 - Buy Price = Profit
That's average for 1-3 pound items. Might be closer to $7 if the buyer is local vs $12 if they are across the country. If you are targeting $10+ profit per item, it works out.

USPS has joined UPS in calculating dimensional weight, so be very careful with large items. A 2-pound item in a very large box can get expensive.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I forgot about this thread, but remembered a few days ago and definitely want to start hitting all the stores in NYC. I've seen some pretty incredible items when shopping there personally. Time to start flipping to get that Rolex! Or Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon in my case
Insta me: bbrou33
BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

BillionaireDoors wrote:

Similar setup for me. I use Excel with some basic formulas and conditional formatting. Usually enter cost info (price paid, taxes, shipping, other fees) as soon as I buy something and then fill in what it sold for, fees, shipping, etc. once the item sells.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

I'm just starting to test the waters on selling watches on Amazon. It looks to me like there are a lot of opportunities on the lower end of the market. I'm sending in a couple of Timex watches to sell FBA. Anything more expensive I'm going to sell FBM because I don't trust Amazon with expensive items. They lose and damage a lot more items than you would expect. Let's see how it goes.
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

This is why I love eBay Global Shipping. It's the only way that I will sell items internationally.

"We've finished investigating the claim your buyer filed, and we've decided the case in the buyer's favor.
We've determined, however, that the global shipping provider was at fault and is responsible for refunding the total amount of the purchase and shipping to the buyer. We won't deduct any money from your account."