MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:13 pm Would like to see a "Going broke by saving money" variant at some point.
:)
I could have sworn that I have done that before. Here is that text on the latest 3,6,9,12 dial design.
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 2.20.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 2.20.25 PM.png (101.72 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:21 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:13 pm Would like to see a "Going broke by saving money" variant at some point.
I could have sworn that I have done that before. Here is that text on the latest 3,6,9,12 dial design.

Go ahead and put me on the waiting list!
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Just put Billy on the dial!
2.jpg
2.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 8708 times
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

tjcdas wrote:Just put Billy on the dial!
2.jpg
My understanding that if this is for personal use or give it away then you can use trademarked material like this. I don’t have any evidence to back this up though.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] Have you thought about making waterslide decals?( I think that's what they are called). If you could find a nice cheap sterile dial, I believe you could transfer the decals right onto a finished/lumed dial. Just a thought. Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.
Good idea Dub and please count me in if that ever happens Spork. Also, let me know if I can help in any way. My strengths include finding stuff on the internet and....um....and....uh.....yea, just let me know.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm @Sporkboy Have you thought about making waterslide decals?( I think that's what they are called). If you could find a nice cheap sterile dial, I believe you could transfer the decals right onto a finished/lumed dial. Just a thought. Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.

The way that I'm currently getting graphics onto watch dials is actually water slide decals. I'm pretty sure that I outlined the process earlier in the thread, but I am overdue to create a step-by-step guide on the topic. I am using opaque water slide decals as I was able to find decent ones that would work in a laser printer. The clear ones that I found (I admit I only looked on Amazon), were all just for inkjet printers and I don't know that they would survive the heat rollers of a laser printer.

While a clear decal would open up the possibilities of having nicer dial features, you would still have alignment issues and you would have to hide those decal edges with a special liquid designed for plastic models. What that would do to a given dial is anybody's guess, but I would venture to say that it wouldn't be good.

I did miss out on the Dagaz sale that had a box with a bunch of Seiko dials. If I could have gotten my hands on those then it's something I could try. If anyone has any dials from mods that they don't need, I will gladly accept them (I already have one such dial from a Invicta 8926 thanks to Bbrou33). That should work out well as the lumed pips (I am re-luming those) can be removed, the dial decal applied and then the pips can go back on. We'll see how that one turns out later. I do have a GMT watch that I'm doing for MoT with a similar layout, so the base dial design will work for both.

Once I land on the template for a given dial layout, then I can consider that the master and adjust the text and size accordingly. I have yet to tackle a date window, so that's coming.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:25 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Go ahead and put me on the waiting list!
Oh man, I need a waiting list now? I thank you for that huge compliment. I'm not exactly sure how these will be available. I know that there will be some give aways or contests. I will be using the Nixon Mod to start and we'll see where this goes. I have some Timex watches that I can use as well. These should mostly be cheap and slightly fun watches since that's what I can afford to do.

Maybe a waiting list for the opportunity to purchase one is a good idea. I will also make the decals available once I get my designs, process and sizes down.
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.40.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 8.40.19 AM.png (143.8 KiB) Viewed 8673 times
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 am
Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm @Sporkboy Have you thought about making waterslide decals?( I think that's what they are called). If you could find a nice cheap sterile dial, I believe you could transfer the decals right onto a finished/lumed dial. Just a thought. Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.

The way that I'm currently getting graphics onto watch dials is actually water slide decals. I'm pretty sure that I outlined the process earlier in the thread, but I am overdue to create a step-by-step guide on the topic. I am using opaque water slide decals as I was able to find decent ones that would work in a laser printer. The clear ones that I found (I admit I only looked on Amazon), were all just for inkjet printers and I don't know that they would survive the heat rollers of a laser printer.

While a clear decal would open up the possibilities of having nicer dial features, you would still have alignment issues and you would have to hide those decal edges with a special liquid designed for plastic models. What that would do to a given dial is anybody's guess, but I would venture to say that it wouldn't be good.

I did miss out on the Dagaz sale that had a box with a bunch of Seiko dials. If I could have gotten my hands on those then it's something I could try. If anyone has any dials from mods that they don't need, I will gladly accept them (I already have one such dial from a Invicta 8926 thanks to Bbrou33). That should work out well as the lumed pips (I am re-luming those) can be removed, the dial decal applied and then the pips can go back on. We'll see how that one turns out later. I do have a GMT watch that I'm doing for MoT with a similar layout, so the base dial design will work for both.

Once I land on the template for a given dial layout, then I can consider that the master and adjust the text and size accordingly. I have yet to tackle a date window, so that's coming.
What diameter dial do you need?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] Have you thought about making waterslide decals?( I think that's what they are called). If you could find a nice cheap sterile dial, I believe you could transfer the decals right onto a finished/lumed dial. Just a thought. Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.

I think that 28.5mm is going to be the most common/useful for this project. If anyone knows any modders with a stash of dusty dials that they want to sell really cheap then I am all ears.

Cheap quartz handsets would also be helpful for the quartz watches I am modding. I may end up buying a sack of hands, but I am not at that point yet.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm Also, if you made a 28.5mm dial that fit seiko movements, I would totally build a mod around it.
Good idea Dub and please count me in if that ever happens Spork. Also, let me know if I can help in any way. My strengths include finding stuff on the internet and....um....and....uh.....yea, just let me know.
Thank Yinzburgher. I have tried to find blank or surplus watch dials, but I haven’t found anything the right size or the right cost yet. Looking for something $1-2 per piece with MOQ of 10-25. 28.5mm. Non-crazy shipping costs will help.

Found some stuff on Etsy, but not the right size. Completely blank ones are going to be easiest if I am just applying the decal and not thinking about applied indices or anything.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:
Thank Yinzburgher. I have tried to find blank or surplus watch dials, but I haven’t found anything the right size or the right cost yet. Looking for something $1-2 per piece with MOQ of 10-25. 28.5mm. Non-crazy shipping costs will help.

Found some stuff on Etsy, but not the right size (seller Aim4Goodies). Completely blank ones are going to be easiest if I am just applying the decal and not thinking about applied indices or anything.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I think I like the lighter icons smaller at 6 best. Maybe it needs to be lighter, I think I may need to actually print it to see. It would be cool to have something like this that you would have to look for in order to see. Thoughts?
Going Broke, Icons
Going Broke, Icons
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.42.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 1.42.13 PM.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I may make those icons super tiny and put them on the credit line on either side of ‘designed by Sporkboy’.

What do you guys think is the best option there?

Also, which watch dials should I do? I am guessing that the black dial will be more popular. I can do a couple black ones with the ‘est...’ text and a couple with the going broke text. I could also do a couple white ones.

Personally, I like the ‘est...’ text, but if the people want the going broke text then I will do that.

Once I get some of these built, I will work on getting them out into the world. Once that is underway then I will work on another design that works with sub-style dials.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Right now the icons look best flanking the 6 in my view.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find