We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Screwdrivers?

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Screwdrivers?

Post by TheJohnP »

What are your favorite brand of screwdrivers that you use?
Recommendations for best sites to get precision screwdrivers?
Did you buy a kit or build a set out piece by piece?
What sizes should the average bloke have for general maintenance?
Do you really have to spend more to get more?

Basically I feel I need to up my screwdriver game and hoping for some insights.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Screwdrivers?

Post by watchpalooza »

Bought a kit from amazon and it has been a bit underwhelming. The tips do not last. So I went to or ardware store and found aset of Wera precision hardened screwdrivers (german made) in sizes 0.5, 1, 2 and 2.5mm. These have larger handles but still with pivots, which for me makes them easier to handle.

These are not the exact set, but similar:

https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-345261-kr ... river-set/
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I have snap-on for standard sizes (from my days of mechanic work) which are extremely expensive. I have Wiha (also not cheap) for the fine stuff. I highly recommend both.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have what I have cobbled together. A set of craftsman jewelers screwdrivers, a P0 P1, a couple of misc. flatheads (standard). These work for most things, I have dedicated T6-10 and a 1.5mm hex driver by Dynamite (highly recommended.
I also have a Boxer multi bit driver set which has served me well. The last one I have is a Hitachi cordless electric.

It really depends on what you needs are. But a couple good Phillips (or Robertson’s), a few standards and you should be off to a good start.

Flesh it out with specialty drivers as needed.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cortman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 am I have snap-on for standard sizes (from my days of mechanic work) which are extremely expensive. I have Wiha (also not cheap) for the fine stuff. I highly recommend both.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
.8mm was the smallest screwdriver I could find for Wiha. Unless I'm looking for it wrong.
Click Icon To Contact Me

sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Assuming you're talking about watchmaking screwdrivers, I recommend Bergeon. I bought my set through Otto Frei, here. I own the set at the top of the page (the 30081-S), but there's a large variety to choose from. The tips are high quality and durable, and the overall finishing is excellent. I don't have a single complaint about them.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I second the suggestion for Bergeon. I started out with a cheapee set off tools from Amazon years ago. First thing I replaced was the spring bar tool for a Bergeon and it was night and day. Then some time ago I needed to size my now departed Oris Aquis. Until then I got by with whatever screwdrivers I had however nothing worked on the Aquis. I read online that people could only size it with a specific sized Bergeon. Ordered it and sure enough I had it sized in minutes.

Also the screwdriver that came with my now departed Ginault is great as well however I have no idea what brand it is or where to get more.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:42 pm Do you really have to spend more to get more?
You don't have to go crazy, but definitely go with one of the major brands. One good scratch or gouge due to an ill fitting or misshapen tip will make up for the cost over the generic, no-name sets.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Well these have been on my eBay watch list for weeks, but that 15% off via app purchase finally made me pull the trigger.

Getting a set of five Horotec screwdrivers for $45 with spare blades, plus free international shipping from France, AND 15% off.

[img][/img]

Assortment of 5 classic precision screwdrivers MSA01.1095-Z

Blades - 0.60mm - 0.80mm - 1.00mm - 1.20mm - 1.40mm
and 5 interchangeable blades in 1 plastic pouch

I looked into both the Wera and Wiha, but .8mm seemed to be the smallest either carried.
Click Icon To Contact Me

cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

I have the Horotec 4 blade collection from Esslinger and it’s been perfect for me...can take the backs off my Hamiltons and remove automatic rotors, regulate, etc., with ease. Probably wouldn’t want to take a movement completely apart, but short of that, feel like these will serve me well.
ValueYourWatch.com
Brand Rep

Post by ValueYourWatch.com »

From a personal experience, any small screwdriver works. Esslinger is good but they dont last either. The tips break. I found teh most economic way is to get regular from a hardware store. If you are the first one who is adjusting the bracelet, you might have a harder time because they put some type of glue on the screw. It can be a pain to unscrew it.
cheddar
MoT Member

Screwdrivers?

Post by cheddar »

ValueYourWatch.com wrote:From a personal experience, any small screwdriver works. Esslinger is good but they dont last either. The tips break. I found teh most economic way is to get regular from a hardware store. If you are the first one who is adjusting the bracelet, you might have a harder time because they put some type of glue on the screw. It can be a pain to unscrew it.
The glue is usually purple loctite or the equivalent. If it’s too tough to unscrew try a heat gun or hot hair dryer on it for a minute or two — should loosen it up a bit.

Hardware precision sets often have small enough heads to work on bracelets, but you may need to get a watchmaker specialty set if you’re messing around with movement screws.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Uncoated screwdrivers (plain stainless steel) can be reground with a stone to repair the screw driver edge and extend the life of the screw driver set.
CigarCity
MoT Member

Post by CigarCity »

General screwdriver comment.

If I need a flat head today, I go to the tool box and all but one my screwdrivers are Phillips head and I spend 5 minutes trying to find the one flat head. If tomorrow I need a Phillips head, I go to the very same tool box and all of my screwdrivers have become flat heads and I spend 5 minutes trying to find one Phillips. Never fails. Some type of sorcery at work.
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

I bought a st of 6 Jewelers screwdrivers Much easier to find that box in the tool box then the individual tiny screwdrivers