We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well I have this coming now lol. I'm expecting it to be too large for my wrists which is why I never bought one before. But we will see.

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Bbasch71
MoT Member

Post by Bbasch71 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Ordered 6 months ago, arriving today.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

k.crabbe wrote:Got a NOS Raketa Big Zero Mini coming in from Neo Classic Watches. I did as much due diligence to avoid fakes as I could. This shop seemed good and so far my transaction has been great. They also have an ETSY shop called BestVintage4You. I'll do a review of them in the Purchase, Product, and Retailers section once my watch gets here from Ukraine.

image upload
It will be interesting to see how this is when you get it. I don’t want to dampen any excitement here, and I am far from an expert, but this may not be an original big zero. It is my understanding that all of the original big zeros were in a different style case and did not have a domed crystal. The strap is also not NOS as they offer their watches on 3 strap options.

That vendor does offer what appears to be the watch with the correct case and crystal https://neoclassicwatches.com/collecti ... erestroika. In this listing they show a picture of the Raketa catalog showing the correct case albeit in a gold version.

For more info on this watch, I would direct you to the excellent guide at Two Broke Watch Snobs https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/so-you- ... -big-zero/ as that is where I am getting my information.

Once again, I am not trying to poop in your pool, I am just trying to share some information. Perhaps it is not too late to contact the vendor to get some clarification on the watch itself.
k.crabbe
MoT Member

Post by k.crabbe »

No problems Sporkboy. I know there's been some debate if Raketa made an actual "mini" Big Zero. I don't think any catalogs showed one. I knew that before I made the purchase. If there ever was a "real" Big Zero Mini, this one fits the specs.. Given the nature of Russian watches and all the variations, this one looked like it fit the bill for what is known about the mini. If it ever really existed.:)
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

k.crabbe wrote:No problems Sporkboy. I know there's been some debate if Raketa made an actual "mini" Big Zero. I don't think any catalogs showed one. I knew that before I made the purchase. If there ever was a "real" Big Zero Mini, this one fits the specs.. Given the nature of Russian watches and all the variations, this one looked like it fit the bill for what is known about the mini. If it ever really existed.:)
OK, I am glad you know more about this than I do. As you said, you did your due diligence on this. Russian watches are full of mysteries, so that there is something that I didn’t hear about that is not solidly known one way or another is not at all surprising. If we knew everything then it wouldn’t be nearly as interesting. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 am Well I have this coming now lol. I'm expecting it to be too large for my wrists which is why I never bought one before. But we will see.

How big's your wrist? I have a 6.75", it wears fine (I think).
Living a comeback montage.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

peskydonut wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:25 am Well I have this coming now lol. I'm expecting it to be too large for my wrists which is why I never bought one before. But we will see.

Mine is about 7", I have watches anywhere from 36mm to 44mm and they look fine. I just always assumed the lug to lug on the Bulova would hang over slightly because the lugs don't curve down
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:55 pm
peskydonut wrote:

Mine is about 7", I have watches anywhere from 36mm to 44mm and they look fine. I just always assumed the lug to lug on the Bulova would hang over slightly because the lugs don't curve down
The lugs are actually fairly short. It is a thick watch, so I found it to be too tall for a two pass NATO, but I think it works well on a 2-piece.

Posted elsewhere, but here's mine...

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

peskydonut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 pm Got one of these straps coming from strapsco. At $20 I'm not setting the bar super high, but we shall see...

Like many others here, I'm mostly saving myself for BF.

https://strapsco.com/product/destroyed- ... -v-buckle/
This strap is terrible. I was hopeful despite it looking pretty cheap in the photo; well let me tell you, it looks and feels even worse in person. Thick, stiff and rubbery (that's what she said?)...doesn't feel anything like leather. One of the holes wasn't punched through all the way. The "destroyed" scuffs expose something resembling particle board. The buckle feels light and plasticky. Even at $20 I'm pretty pissed. Sorry I don't have any real life photos, firstly because it doesn't deserve any, but secondly it's back in original packaging and heading back to StrapsCo. We'll see how they handle the return, but so far I'm pretty unimpressed.

Later tonight...

"Hmm. You're very angry about that strap."
-Wife
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Been holding back on my watch collecting acquisitions lately. But I did lurk on the Heads Up list for the last month. Managed to survive unscathed except for taking advantage of a Meccaniche Veneziane sale. I have this model Nereide on the way

I have been lusting after this watch since not long after it was released, so I feel lucky that I got to buy the watch and the deal :D

Really been hoping for a good deal on https://www.certifiedwatchstore.com/alp ... 4fbs6.html, but no such luck yet.
Bergbergs
MoT Member

Post by Bergbergs »

Sussa wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:23 am EMG Horizon incoming thanks to their Black Friday sale. This should scratch the TAG Heuer Monaco itch, 'cause a real Monaco is never going to grace my wrist. Now to see if I can find a short (110/60) 22mm rally strap on sale this weekend.
EMG-Horizon.jpg

(Doesn't everyone print life-size copies of watches to try them out?)

Ooooooooooh, The Heuer Monaco has been my dream watch for years. This one might just scratch that itch. New next watch, I think.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Ordered the Alpina Startimer Chrono AL-372B4FBS6 from Certified Watch Store on Ebay for $414.

Decided I don't want to wait to see if it drops under $400 since it is discontinued. I had the blue dial version. It's a great watch, but I've figured out that I'm a monochrome color dial kind of guy. I tire quickly of almost all other color dials.

Now my holiday watch shopping for myself is done. I know, famous last words :)
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:22 pm
peskydonut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 pm Got one of these straps coming from strapsco. At $20 I'm not setting the bar super high, but we shall see...

This strap is terrible. I was hopeful despite it looking pretty cheap in the photo; well let me tell you, it looks and feels even worse in person. Thick, stiff and rubbery (that's what she said?)...doesn't feel anything like leather. One of the holes wasn't punched through all the way. The "destroyed" scuffs expose something resembling particle board. The buckle feels light and plasticky. Even at $20 I'm pretty pissed. Sorry I don't have any real life photos, firstly because it doesn't deserve any, but secondly it's back in original packaging and heading back to StrapsCo. We'll see how they handle the return, but so far I'm pretty unimpressed.

Later tonight...

-Wife
Yeah I learned the hard way to never buy leather from anyone except the people actually producing it- i.e., no bandrbands, no strapsco, no g&co, no cheapestnatostraps, no you-name-it-reseller-of-the-same-junk. Bad leather straps are SO frustrating.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

cortman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 pm
peskydonut wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Later tonight...

-Wife
Yeah I learned the hard way to never buy leather from anyone except the people actually producing it- i.e., no bandrbands, no strapsco, no g&co, no cheapestnatostraps, no you-name-it-reseller-of-the-same-junk. Bad leather straps are SO frustrating.
I got this strap from Clockwork Synergy and it was very supple and super comfortable right out of the gate. I think perhaps it set my expectations a bit high for 3rd party leather vendors.

StrapsCo sent me instructions for returning the strap, but are not paying for return shipping. Whatever.

In more exciting news (for me), my 7 Martu straps shipped. Woot!