We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Casio combi bracelet for square G shock- smooth vs textured

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
pgcity
MoT Member

Casio combi bracelet for square G shock- smooth vs textured

Post by pgcity »

Hi,

I've got a new GWB5600AR-1 (Red Adrenaline) on the way and am wondering which Casio combi bracelet would is more comfortable/better quality?

The older one has a texture while the newer one does not. I think either would fit as they work with 16mm spring bars though the shoulder width for the textured one is 27mm while the smooth one is at 26mm. Not sure if that is significant. Textured one is about USD 30 more than the smooth ones when compared at watchbattery.co.uk prices.

Textured - available with CASIO GW5600BCJ-1 in/since 2006
Casio part no:10440757, alternative part no 10188774
Price:£65.99/USD 85.35 - https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 0757.shtml
==============
Smooth

(Casio part no:10575397)- available with CASIO GWB5600BC-1 in/since 2018
Price: Price:£42.99/USD 55.60 - https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 5397.shtml

Pacparts prices much higher when i compared as shown below. Also notice the prices are higher the other way round unless(strange?):
pacparts.jpg
Another vendor with decent reviews online is Tiktox from a while back. The original owner died and business has changed hands several years back. i don't know how reliable they are now and prices seem to be a little more if not close to watchbattery. Link to tiktox is here https://www.tiktox.com/.

Looking at the prices, maybe better to get a new watch that comes with either bracelet and just swap over if so desired. I've read some reviews saying the textured version scratches easier then the smooth version but opposing views as well. Your experience and comments on the bracelets is appreciated
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Casio combi bracelet for square G shock- smooth vs textured

Post by MoT »

I don't have experience with either, but on looks alone the smooth bracelet would be my choice.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

You might ping Random Rob (YouTube). He owns both. My understanding is that the original weighs a little more. All metal? Vs half metal? for the all-smooth one. Hope I have that right. The textured one looks better to me but I’ll probably never bother tracking it down or paying extra for it.

Been also looking at that yellow watch and running some numbers. I guess you could get it and swap a regular strap onto it and sell it for an easy $50-$70 to make your bracelet a net cost of like $20-$50? Rough guess only.

I decided to just take PacPart’s 25% deal that was tonight on the bracelet (and not mess with foreign sellers currently) ... my other issue is that if I did buy the GWB5600BC-1 to make the swap happen, I’d probably want to keep the GWB5600BC-1 intact upon seeing it and be back to Square One. :)
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

deckeda wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 pm You might ping Random Rob (YouTube). He owns both. My understanding is that the original weighs a little more. All metal? Vs half metal? for the all-smooth one. Hope I have that right. The textured one looks better to me but I’ll probably never bother tracking it down or paying extra for it.

Been also looking at that yellow watch and running some numbers. I guess you could get it and swap a regular strap onto it and sell it for an easy $50-$70 to make your bracelet a net cost of like $20-$50? Rough guess only.

I decided to just take PacPart’s 25% deal that was tonight on the bracelet (and not mess with foreign sellers currently) ... my other issue is that if I did buy the GWB5600BC-1 to make the swap happen, I’d probably want to keep the GWB5600BC-1 intact upon seeing it and be back to Square One. :)

Sure I understand the PacParts deal but couldn't say no to half the price at Watchbattery :D . They seem to be reputable when i checked.

I did ping Random Rob and he prefers the older/textured version.

However, when i got in touch with Watchbattery they advised to play it safe(safer?) and go for a bracelet with the same module.

Here's what they wrote:
"First of all, Casio will not guarantee changing straps on different models of watch.Your watch model GW-B5600AR-1, has a module number of 3461, which should be displayed on the back of the watch face.The bracelet with stock code WSCS-10440757 is for a diferent module number, and would not be compatible with your watch. The bracelet with stock code WSCS-10575397, also has module 3461, which means it could be possible to change to this bracelet, but Casio will not guarantee it. If you purchase the bracelet, and you find it is not suitable, then you can return it for a refund, providing it is in the same resaleable condition, and the packaging is not damaged. Please remove staple carefully."

So what're they saying is get a bracelet which matches the module i.e smooth bracelet in this case.

I also got in touch with Pac Parts on the textured bracelet who replied as follows:
"PacParts cannot guarantee that the Resin/Metal band for the GW5600BCJ-1 will fit on the GWB5600AR-1. Both watch models use the same pin to attach the band, however the shape of the end of the band as it fits flush against the watch could be different"

This is refering to the textured bracelet. So with that in mind i have purchased the smooth bracelet instead from Watchbattery.

Anyway, I was actually thinking of modding to look like the GWB5600HR-1D and get it's bracelet instead. Picture below:
hr-1.jpg
However, for the price of bracelet plus shipping i could just get a brand a new GWB5600HR-1D . Made no sense, hence opted for the regular composite bracelet. Other than that, I've bought the bezel with the red lettering as used on GWB5600HR-1D and with that it'd be complete as far as mods go for my watch.
Last edited by pgcity on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:48 am I don't have experience with either, but on looks alone the smooth bracelet would be my choice.
I was going back and forth but when I received the reply from Watchbattery, decided on the smooth one. Here's hoping it works :D
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I have now a GWB5600AR-1 awaiting gifting. If I can remember to do so later I’ll try to compare how its case looks against a 5600BB, since that one should be “standard enough” to properly fit the textured one (and also because I don’t recall RR ever noting the two bracelets aren’t the same fit.)

I see where Casio’s coming from but it’ll take actual experience swapping them to know for sure. I’m by no stretch any serious modder but like you, do my research and proceed with the tools clear-eyed.

My V6 Accord now successfully runs a clutch master cylinder intended for a 4cyl Civic, for example. Ain’t no shop or dealer ever gonna say that works.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

deckeda wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:45 am I have now a GWB5600AR-1 awaiting gifting. If I can remember to do so later I’ll try to compare how its case looks against a 5600BB, since that one should be “standard enough” to properly fit the textured one (and also because I don’t recall RR ever noting the two bracelets aren’t the same fit.)

I see where Casio’s coming from but it’ll take actual experience swapping them to know for sure. I’m by no stretch any serious modder but like you, do my research and proceed with the tools clear-eyed.

My V6 Accord now successfully runs a clutch master cylinder intended for a 4cyl Civic, for example. Ain’t no shop or dealer ever gonna say that works.
Yes. I think both bracelets would probably work. Hope to hear on your take on the case shape/fit.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

My combi arrived from PacParts today. Apparently I'd ordered the textured one and didn't realize it. Makes me feel a little better about the $114 I paid, since it's always been my preference. Oh well.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about a 1mm difference either way. We're talking plastic here, and watches that aren't exactly museum dress models.

That being said, it'll be a few weeks before I install it on anything. Last night I bought another square coming from Japan, nothing exotic or especially rare and certainly not a special edition but of some minor horological significance (to me, in the limited context of G squares). When I get it on that I'll open a new thread. My boy has his Adrenaline Red square now, but I don't really want to remove its strap to test this one given how unfun it is to swap straps on squares.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

[mention]pgcity[/mention]

Watch arrived today; dropping this here in lieu of opening a new thread. The textured #10440758 fits this old '5600 as expected. And like every other experience I've ever had installing G Shock straps/adapters to G Shock squares, was a lesson is despair.

And I'm a fan of the textured, both the appearance of it and the "finger feel."

The intention is to leave the bracelet on permanently ( I replaced the battery also today with the bracelet left on, even though it made aligning the caseback gasket more challenging ) and maybe swap bezels as the mood suits. But I'm loving this one with red letters for a "default" look here. I'm now on the hunt to see what might be available in grays and dark solid colors.

GW-B5600AA
Heritage Red - series bezel (GW-5000HR-1 or GW-B5600HR-1)
Composite (aka "combi") bracelet, Casio p/n 10440758
GW-B5600AA in hand.JPG
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

deckeda wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:19 pm @pgcity

Watch arrived today; dropping this here in lieu of opening a new thread. The textured #10440758 fits this old '5600 as expected. And like every other experience I've ever had installing G Shock straps/adapters to G Shock squares, was a lesson is despair.

And I'm a fan of the textured, both the appearance of it and the "finger feel."

The intention is to leave the bracelet on permanently ( I replaced the battery also today with the bracelet left on, even though it made aligning the caseback gasket more challenging ) and maybe swap bezels as the mood suits. But I'm loving this one with red letters for a "default" look here. I'm now on the hunt to see what might be available in grays and dark solid colors.

GW-B5600AA
Heritage Red - series bezel (GW-5000HR-1 or GW-B5600HR-1)
Composite (aka "combi") bracelet, Casio p/n 10440758

GW-B5600AA in hand.JPG
Thank you. I'm pretty happy with my smooth bracelet that I received too.Yes could not get the spring bars to fit without springbar pliers similar to this one

and yes will swap bezel on my Adrenaline Red with its all black lettering to the Heritage Red similar to yours:
CVno.md.jpg