We're Moving!

Click for more info.

(HMD) Help Me Decide – Purchase, Keep, Release

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
PetWatch
MoT Member

(HMD) Help Me Decide – Purchase, Keep, Release

Post by PetWatch »

I'm looking to keep at least one of these. Really a toss up in terms of attraction. I find the stainless case more attractive, the two tone green dial a bit pale to my liking but nice and intense in bright sunlight. I'm very short on black case watches. This black case looks more like a light metallic charcoal gray in bright light, nice, and the dial markers really stand out and pop. My main concern is how the Duractect coating, which is supposed to be 5X harder than steel, will in reality stand up to scratches and dings that may show the steel underneath. Would appreciate someone with experience here chiming in on this aspect, otherwise what do you all suggest.

20200119_093943, show.jpg
20200119_094040, show.jpg
show1.jpg
show.jpg
20200119_094250, show.jpg
20200119_094339, show.jpg
20200119_094832, show.jpg
VCheng
MoT Member

Re: (HMD) Help Me Decide – Purchase, Keep, Release

Post by VCheng »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 pm I'm looking to keep at least one of these. Really a toss up in terms of attraction. I find the stainless case more attractive, the two tone green dial a bit pale to my liking but nice and intense in bright sunlight. I'm very short on black case watches. This black case looks more like a light metallic charcoal gray in bright light, nice, and the dial markers really stand out and pop. My main concern is how the Duractect coating, which is supposed to be 5X harder than steel, will in reality stand up to scratches and dings that may show the steel underneath. Would appreciate someone with experience here chiming in on this aspect, otherwise what do you all suggest.

20200119_093943, show.jpg

20200119_094040, show.jpg

show1.jpg

show.jpg

20200119_094250, show.jpg

20200119_094339, show.jpg

20200119_094832, show.jpg
Both looks nice, it depends on your preference and what are your current collections. I think the black is more versatile and you may wear it with smart casual style. And I agree that the dial pops with the black one.

For Duractect, I own a PMD 56 green variant. I do wear it quite frequently and there are no obvious scratches. I do think it's more scratch resistant to steel per normal wear. There are some hair scratches I believe but just not obvious ( I didn't examine to be honest), but all my other steel bracelets have some kind of scratches which you can see under strong light.

Wish that helps to give you some ideas.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Thanks, that's helpful VCheng, I am leaning towards the black one cause I only have one other black case watch and the green dial looks more intense on the pics than it appears to me in anything but bright lights. But I really like that stainless steel color tone of the case. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Decision made, wasn't easy. The ballistic cordura strap in enclosed in rubber on the sides and back. A good thing since ballistic cordura is quite abrasive. Strap is stiff, but semi comfortable leaving a bit loose, thus far, just started wearing it. You can definitely feel it on the sides, leaves imprint on wrist due to its stiffness. Under sweat and water remains to be seen. Also the rubber backing keeps the watch completely in place on the wrist even with brisk movements, thanks to the great grip of the rubber backing material.

Overall, a lightweight, no maintenance except for periodic light exposure to keep it running, well designed attractive watch. How tough? That remains to be seen.

This looks like a keeper for me.

Maybe one day I'll do an Inox vs Tough challenge.ImageImage

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I don't think you had a wrong choice, but the black is definitely more versatile.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Hard time deciding between these two and I may hold off anyway, but welcome any suggestions specially if you have one.

I generally prefer the silver stainless case and bracelet but the gold crown seems to stand out too much. I think the black colorway is just great, except for the obvious issue with scratches.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

PetWatch wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:47 pm Hard time deciding between these two and I may hold off anyway, but welcome any suggestions specially if you have one.

I generally prefer the silver stainless case and bracelet but the gold crown seems to stand out too much. I think the black colorway is just great, except for the obvious issue with scratches.

Keep the silver case, replace the crown.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
HWA
MoT Member

Post by HWA »

Keep stainless and crown, get two-tone bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Thanks for your suggestions, I hadn't considered either one of these options.

I am going to hold off on these for now. I still have watchpalooza's old Golden Eye deal in the box. I like how the bezel, hands and markers stand out while the rest disappears in low light but have yet to try on the wrist.

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Has anyone owned both version of the BJ7000 Nighthawk ([mention]flypanam[/mention] maybe)? I think my itch is becoming too strong not to scratch, but I am having trouble deciding between the standard and the Blue Angels versions. I would buy from Official Watch Deals on ebay, so the price difference is $40. Is the standard version as readable as the BA?
I wish that watch were 38mm?