We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Best tools for adjusting bracelets?

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Best tools for adjusting bracelets?

Post by BostonCharlie »

My Wenger arrived, and for once I'm not just swapping the bracelet out. So I need to adjust it. The removable links have helpful arrows on the back showing -- I guess -- which way to push the pins for removal. My first thought is to get something like this:

But maybe there is a tool (or set) that is more versatile? Or higher quality? I have a Seiko bracelet that needs fixing, too.

Thanks.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Best tools for adjusting bracelets?

Post by MoT »

I have one just like that, it was free with a bracelet purchase. I was skeptical, but if you take your time it works really well.

Right now I don't see myself spending more for something fancier.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Push pins (several diameters), hammer and a vented base for me.

I tried the other device and scratched links, bent pins, and in general was frustrated. YMMV.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

tommy_boy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm Push pins (several diameters), hammer and a vented base for me.

I tried the other device and scratched links, bent pins, and in general was frustrated. YMMV.
I have both, but have always struggled with the hammer / vented base. Any tips for how to use it? Would like to get away from bent pins, etc
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 am
tommy_boy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm Push pins (several diameters), hammer and a vented base for me.

I have both, but have always struggled with the hammer / vented base. Any tips for how to use it? Would like to get away from bent pins, etc
Don't buy cheap pin pushers (more money yields stronger steel), and make sure you have several different diameter push pins. I use the largest possible push pin to minimize the stress that can create a bent push pin. That said, you will bend some push pins, so buy replacements.

The vented base offers more control than the pushing frame, in my experience. I can see the links. Just have to get them situated over the escape hole in the base, obviously, so the pin has a place to go.

Since stainless to stainless can seize, using a teeny dab of lube helps. And the bracelet link pins will be clean, so there's that, too.

Oh, and Scotch. :D
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

tommy_boy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 am
Oh, and Scotch. :D
Thank you! I tried this just now, and it worked! Had been forgetting the scotch. :lol:

Actually, the lube really made the difference with a vintage band I had all but given up on. The “pin destroyer” as I call it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Pin, hammer and vented base for me as well. The only time I had a problem was when trying to push out some screw in pins.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 pm My Wenger arrived, and for once I'm not just swapping the bracelet out. So I need to adjust it. The removable links have helpful arrows on the back showing -- I guess -- which way to push the pins for removal. My first thought is to get something like this:

But maybe there is a tool (or set) that is more versatile? Or higher quality? I have a Seiko bracelet that needs fixing, too.

Thanks.
I have the same and it seems to work fine fine for me. I also use the pin, hammer, and vented base.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 pm My Wenger arrived, and for once I'm not just swapping the bracelet out. So I need to adjust it. The removable links have helpful arrows on the back showing -- I guess -- which way to push the pins for removal. My first thought is to get something like this:

Thanks.
I use one of these too. It's quite cheaply built but still gets the job done very well. It's made bracelet changes SO much easier.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

cortman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks.
I use one of these too. It's quite cheaply built but still gets the job done very well. It's made bracelet changes SO much easier.
These work okay for standard friction pins.
They also work okay for collared pins with a slit opening, such as Seiko's, but will likely need to fix the collar to provide the original friction of the collar.
These will 100% need a pair of pliers if you're working with the collars that do not have slits. (ie. mostly swiss watches)

There isn't a perfect tool but definitely think the vented holder + mallet is best but definitely not as convenient as the one above. Regardless, I always recommend a good tool set if you're in this hobby for the long-haul...
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

The main reason I moved away from the cheapo pin pusher is because the pin was too short. If it's easy to buy longer pins for an adaptive pushing frame, far out. In my experience the cheapo devices did not offer that option.

Regardless, the vented base is versatile and provides the most accessibility, IMHO.