We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Original iPhone SE vs. iPhone SE 2020

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
MoT
Site Admin

Original iPhone SE vs. iPhone SE 2020

Post by MoT »

I have an iPhone SE I use as a desk/secondary phone. Since it's not a primary device for me, it doesn't have to be flagship.

I decided to order the new iPhone SE, and it came in today. Here's a side-by-side showing size difference.

The large bezels honestly do not bother me. Also, as someone who has used Android as primary device OS since 2009, I wish they would get with the program and make setting up a new phone as efficient as Apple.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Original iPhone SE vs. iPhone SE 2020

Post by Boourns »

How do you like it? I have been on Android since 2014 but before that I had iphones, starting with the 3G. Currently have a Pixel 3 and will be upgrading this year. This new SE has me considering a switch back. Is the camera on par with Android phones?
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 pm How do you like it? I have been on Android since 2014 but before that I had iphones, starting with the 3G. Currently have a Pixel 3 and will be upgrading this year. This new SE has me considering a switch back. Is the camera on par with Android phones?
I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. At first glance, I think this and the Pixel 4a will be the sub-$500 phones to beat.

Unscientific camera comparison. These are taken at approximately the same distance and angle from the watch and have the same focus point. Straight off the phones, untouched by editing. Crappy desk lighting, and back-lit by two IPS monitors.

Samsung S20 Ultra:

iPhone SE 2020:

Original iPhone SE:

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Dec1967

Post by Dec1967 »

The SE 2020, in my opinon, is a game-changer on every level.

Employing the A13 chip and other amazing tech into a $399 starting price puts every other phone manufacturer on notice.

I'm thrilled. I have an SE (original) as our house phone. It's going to get replaced with the new SE 2020. Image
Dec1967

Post by Dec1967 »

The photo from the new SE is ridiculously clear.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Dec1967 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:28 pm The photo from the new SE is ridiculously clear.
It's a bit too grainy in this lower light situation for my liking.

IF the 4a comes in around the same price, it's really going to set a mid-tier battle up. My hunch is the 4a will have better chops when it comes to image processing, though.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I had to replace my SE with a more expensive phone in November. I wish the new SE had been our. Grrr.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I have a SE and while it's still working okay, I am tempted to get the SE 2020 because my phone is getting a bit slow and the battery life is meh. Thanks for posting the comparisons.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

From what I've heard the SE 2020 tends to lean towards warm colors, the 3a (and presumably the 4a) cool colors. The Pixel line has night mode, which the SE lacks of course.

I'm considering buying a 4a at pre-order. My s7 needs replacing and while I like the s10e, I wanna try something new and it must have a headphone jack. So, I'd never buy an iPhone for myself.

These are worth a laugh though.

"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 am From what I've heard the SE 2020 tends to lean towards warm colors
That's been my experience with it so far. I don't mind it though, and it's easy enough to adjust in post-processing.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I just broke my phone last weekend, and have been phone shopping for the first time in almost 3 years. I used to be super into the latest in mobile technology but I've taken a hard turn towards not caring in the last half decade or so lol.
The new iPhone SE was a top contender, that and the Pixel 3A, but I eventually went with the Pixel. I've been an Android user for a long time and I like how easy it is to transfer files to and from Android, which I use with my FLAC music collection.
It was really a tossup between the two. I think the Pixel 3A's camera just so edges out the SE in my opinion.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

I’m carrying an original SE and even with an external battery case it barely lasts for a day of moderate use. I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying a new SE pretty soon. I might try a battery replacement first with the idea that if I screw it up I’m just going to buy a new phone.
skyleth
Has thanked: 0

Post by skyleth »

I had the original SE from 2018 through 2020; traded it in for the 12 mini, which is everything I wanted the SE 2020 to be… if you're an original SE fan, I'd highly recommend the 12 mini (except for the price point)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

skyleth wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:18 pm I had the original SE from 2018 through 2020; traded it in for the 12 mini, which is everything I wanted the SE 2020 to be… if you're an original SE fan, I'd highly recommend the 12 mini (except for the price point)
I have the 12 Mini right now, well for a few more days anyway. You're right, apart from the price, this is what the SE 2020 should have been.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Dec1967

Post by Dec1967 »

I vacillated between the 12 Pro and 12 mini this year, settling on the Pro.

Mistake.

Should've gotten the mini and trusted my gut. The Pro (6.1") is heavy, but beautiful. Yes the battery life is great, but I'm always near a charger at all times, with my phone rarely below 50% no matter what.

Live and learn.

The mini is the way to go.